MSE News: Bills rise for five million customers

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 7 February 2018 at 11:19AM in Energy
Around five million vulnerable customers could see their bills rise by £58 a year after Ofgem announced it's increasing its price cap...
Read the full story:
'Five million vulnerable customers could see energy bills rise in April'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now TV ??? Please don't tell me Murdoch is going to get involved with our gas and leccy:rotfl:
  • Former_MSE_Megan_F
    Options
    Sorry brewerdave, all sorted now! Thanks for flagging
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    I think prepayment is the way to go it offers a lower tariff,it also offers some shielding because of sensitive headlines and keeps energy in the politcal spotlight.If supplies go off it will attract headlines.Its taking weeks to get back on prepayment but was done in ten minutes of passing a credit check on a smart meter the supplier wasn't keen to switch back it was like being means tested.The bill has risen sustantially its affected my budget and I am now faced with large arrears in a few weeks.

Credit meters,direct debits,huge hikes in prices its out of range for many.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    I think prepayment is the way to go it offers a lower tariff,it also offers some shielding because of sensitive headlines and keeps energy in the politcal spotlight.If supplies go off it will attract headlines.Its taking weeks to get back on prepayment but was done in ten minutes of passing a credit check on a smart meter the supplier wasn't keen to switch back it was like being means tested.The bill has risen sustantially its affected my budget and I am now faced with large arrears in a few weeks.

Credit meters,direct debits,huge hikes in prices its out of range for many.
    Prepayment is not the cheapest tariff. It's the most expensive.

The cheapest tariffs are by regular direct debit on a fixed rate.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

Its (or was now) cheaper then the standard variable.I noticed the difference and won't be going back to credit again.Thers mention on here of people with subscription tv exe instead of paying for the energy most do not. also people on benefits dont have the security of of having funds for direst debits at hand and having to raise £50 extra in a month.Energy suppliers are attempting to dictate to customers when people should look to go elsewhere however those that do pay by this method are tied in with exit fees in most cases and smart meters that do not work elsewhere an online accounts when they do not have the power to dictate sign up for this or collect/share data.They are simply inventing their own rules.

I think the bullying extends far beyond having a smart meter installed.
  • SpotlandRules
    Options
    But why were you on SVT? I am on benefits, but manage to run my credit meters with no issues.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

The point is not whether prepayment is more expensive or less expensive. The point is that the price is capped.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But capped at such a high rate it is pathetic even if better than SVR & a much better rate (also fixed for a period) is available to absolutely anyone who is prepared to change supplier & maybe even available from their current supplier if they cared to try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure