Fence posts

Options
A large section of the wooden ~2 metre tall fence at the bottom of my garden came down in recent storms, mainly because the posts were held by metal stakes which are unsuitable in heavy clay soil when waterlogged. Anyway, the neighbour wants to share the repair cost, but prefers concrete posts, in part because there is a 6" drop at the boundary, and concrete boards will hold the soil back better than wood which bows. I find concrete ugly. He says that concrete will last longer. My view is that wood looks better and if held with postcrete/concrete at the base, it will not blow over so easily.

Are there alternatives, such as a concrete base that can support a wooden post above the soil line? Does painted concrete look okay? I paint the fence with a dark oak preservative, which could cover the posts too.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm with your neighbour in preferring concrete posts.

I guess you could put some wooden cladding over them on your side?
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    There are fences and posts on the gardens around where I live that have been in for 30 years and are still fine. Timber will last, the problem is consumers frequently seek the cheapest and this does not last. For example, the posts in my garden are 100x100 and pressure treated after being cut to length. Numerous consumers go to a diy shed and get 75x75 posts that have received a token dip of colour and these will not last.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Sounds like that's the thing then - ie 100 x 100 quality posts.

Other alternative - maybe changing the fence to a wall (brick - rather than concrete blocks - as you don't like "ugly"). I sympathise - as I don't like "ugly" either.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure with a lick of paint they'd blend in, I think the main problem with concrete posts are that it makes fixing things like trellis and hooks for plant wires difficult.

You can buy special clamp for the posts but a bit of a pain.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quality wooden fence posts - 4x4 inches well installed with Post/Concrete will last many many years. We had concrete posts once and painted them with milk. It made them look less concrety and more like wood........
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Even the 75x75 intermediate posts I installed in the late 1980s were still there when I last looked in 2013, but that's because I bought them from Jacksons.

But concrete is better at holding back soil and it will take preservative or other paints, although if it were in my garden I'd probably not see much of it anyway, due to planting.
  • elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with Furts above, I buy all my timber from one of two local timber yards and the difference in quality between them and the local diy sheds is enormous.

I have quoted for fencing only to be told that the customer prefers the product to come from a shed as they sell loads of the stuff so it must be good. I get cut to length and pressure treated post which will far outlast the stuff bought in sheds which has hardly any preservative penetrating the surface. Also its cheaper from a Timber supplier.

If its a concrete or wooden post, providing its fixed properly in the ground both would be as secure

However, I believe that concrete gravel boards will outlast any timber board, and given that the board in your instance is holding back soil, I would opt for concrete posts and concrete gravel board.

I wouldn't do it but I have seen 100x100 wooden posts used with bolt on type concrete gravel boards, (type used for recessed concrete posts rather than slotted) It would give you the look of wood you like plus the extra strength and rot resistance of a concrete gravel board.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Thanks all. One problem is knowing which posts are higher quality. The descriptions all seem to be high pressure treated with 15 years warranty. The current posts are 4" by 4". One was rotten at the base after 7 years in the ground. The others were fine.

An alternative is to have the post attached to a concrete base by means of a rod in the base. Thus the wood is not in contact with soil. But I can't find any for sale in the UK. I suppose brick bases with poles attached via a metal clamp is another idea, but brick bases would cost I guess.

I really do find concrete ugly, however it is an option.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    1 option is to make bath out of visqueen sheet and fill with a wood preservative and then soak each fence post overnight, a bit long winded but will stop them rotting.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd just go for painting or staining the concrete. A quick Google will bring up other people asking about it and those who have done it, as well as a few examples. I read that you should bear in mind that the wood will change colour over time so choose the paint/stain carefully as it probably won't fade as much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure