PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I entitled to compensation from a newbuild?

Options
Hello!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, we are lost with what to do next!

We purchased a new-build house over a year a go and on the day we moved in my husband took a shower (fair enough, right?) whilst he was in the shower I noticed a wet patch appearing on the kitchen ceiling above the door frame, which very quickly started to dribble down into the kitchen! We called the company and were told to call the emergency plumber, which we did and a chap came out and said it was simply because the bath hadn't been jacked up properly, so he did that and left.

The problem kept happening and the leak got worse and started to spread down the bathroom wall too. Eventually we got another plumber out from the housing company and when looking they said it was actually nothing to do with the bath but was because of the sealant around the shower not being fitted properly, so they took the sealant off and re-did it... and then yet again it continued to leak.

After being ignored for a few more months and having to have towels under the leak whenever we showered, someone else finally came out and said that it was because the side of the bath was not fitted correctly due to the emergency plumber breaking it in the first place, so that came off and on again.

To cut a long story short (15 months to be precise) we have had 15 months of leaking bathroom, inlcuding having the entire thing ripped out and put back in again (over a 4 WEEK period over our wedding, despite being promised it would take 3 days!, our family and friends who were meant to be staying at our house had to pay for hotels as we had no bathroom at the time of the wedding!) - but yeah, we have had 15 months of leaks and a not-properly-functioning bathroom.... and even now after it has been ripped out and completely refitted it still leaks through the ceiling to downstairs! - We are now on first name terms with the customer care team and the plumbers who all agree we need to get some form of compensation because after all we have paid for a brand new house with a functioning bathroom and have not received what we have paid for. Also I have had to turn down around 11 days of work (I work for an agency at £90 a day so £990! Not to mention our family and friends hotel costs, over £500)

Are we entitled to compensation? And how would I go about getting it?

Thank you!!

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Probably but I would hang fire stating what you want until it is fixed. If youbare given an offer and accept it you may have no recourse going forward.

Politely tell them your intention to seek legal advice and your expectation for compensation in due course.

If all these things have been fixed then when you take the bath panel of what exactly is leaking? I don't really understand how a leak from under a bath can be so hard to resolve.
  • hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    If they've taken steps to fix it during your warranty period then I can't see how a legal step forward would be feasible. Same as the other poster...why the heck haven't they found the fix yet? I've had a neighbour who needed something similar fixing, they wanted the neighbour to move out for a few days (compensated by the company) and then they would rip it all out and refix it. The owner refused to do so...
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need a decent plumber, not compensation. My patience would have run out after 15 days, not 15 months.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    15 months in and it is still not resolved. Unbelievable. I would now be seriously worried about the state of all the hidden floor joists that have been having a regular soaking for 15 months.

Seriously, did YOU do any investigating, like spend some time with someone downstairs, and go around carefully with the shower head to work out exactly where the leak is?

If the bath has been in and out and re sealed so many times, I really can't believe that is the issue. I would more suspect a leak in the drain pipes exiting the bath under the floor. Has anyone taken the floor up for a look (and to see how rotten and soggy the joists are now)

:Like others, I would not have put up with this for so long.
  • Kidder81
    Options
    As mentioned above, with the issue still not resolved, it's way too early to be talking compensation.

I'm no plumber but even I can tell you the issue will be with your pipework. You need your floor taking up for a proper investigation.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Like so many posts, here, the OP doesn't come back or even log in after their first post. I expect they have littered the internet with compensation culture posts without wanting to hear the correct answer.

I bet the outlet to the shower head behind the wall is loose causing a leak when the shower runs. A bit of a nasty job that will involve cutting open the wall and retiling. No wonder they've been given the runaround.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport