Letter from Local Tax Office required for overseas

Options
..probate.

Hi again guys.

My solics in Cyprus has told me that he needs a confirmation letter from HMRC that my late father was a UK tax payer on his death.

I've phoned up HMRC through the IHT numbers and they advised they couldn't help and that I needed my dads local tax office, which you can get online via NI or tax code.

Have tried searching this and can't find an appropriate link/method. I may struggle actually obtaining the tax code (Dad was retired).

Surely there is an easier way of getting a local (Manchester) tax office number to request a simple letter?

thanks in advance

Comments

• JanetTee76
    Options
    What you can do in this case is contact HMRC and ask for pay(private pension) and tax figures for last 5 years to be sent out.

The tax code may be on any pension statements also if you have these available?

Unfortunatley its regional tax offices now rather than local... so not guaranteed to speak to someone from your own country
  • savethepandas
    Options
    General advice:

Possible sources for a tax reference:
    · P800
    · Tax return
    · If his Dad had an occupational pension, the “P60” should show a reference number.
    · The occupational pension would also have a tax code.
    · If no occupational pension, then he needs to call general enquiries on 0300 200 3300. Needs to have his Dad’s National Insurance number with him when he phones.
  • johnD17
    johnD17 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Not getting anyway with this at all.

the 0300 is useless i.e. can't get through to anybody no matter what auto option is chosen.

IHT can't help.

No private pension, no P800. Tax return potentially, he was retired for a number of years.

Again another simple piece required, that is far from simple. I have got his NI number.
  • johnD17
    johnD17 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    managed to get through by stating it was my tax position on the automated line, they wanted a letter to state I'm dealing with the estate, despite everything being pretty much done from a UK perspective, so hopefully I've moved it on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure