Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johnD17
    • By johnD17 6th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 0Thanks
    johnD17
    Letter from Local Tax Office required for overseas
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    Letter from Local Tax Office required for overseas 6th Feb 18 at 4:49 PM
    ..probate.

Hi again guys.

My solics in Cyprus has told me that he needs a confirmation letter from HMRC that my late father was a UK tax payer on his death.

I've phoned up HMRC through the IHT numbers and they advised they couldn't help and that I needed my dads local tax office, which you can get online via NI or tax code.

Have tried searching this and can't find an appropriate link/method. I may struggle actually obtaining the tax code (Dad was retired).

Surely there is an easier way of getting a local (Manchester) tax office number to request a simple letter?

thanks in advance
Page 1
    • JanetTee76
    • By JanetTee76 6th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JanetTee76
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    What you can do in this case is contact HMRC and ask for pay(private pension) and tax figures for last 5 years to be sent out.

The tax code may be on any pension statements also if you have these available?

Unfortunatley its regional tax offices now rather than local... so not guaranteed to speak to someone from your own country
    • savethepandas
    • By savethepandas 6th Feb 18, 5:43 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    savethepandas
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:43 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:43 PM
    General advice:

Possible sources for a tax reference:
    P800
    Tax return
    If his Dad had an occupational pension, the P60 should show a reference number.
    The occupational pension would also have a tax code.
    If no occupational pension, then he needs to call general enquiries on 0300 200 3300. Needs to have his Dads National Insurance number with him when he phones.
    • johnD17
    • By johnD17 16th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnD17
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    Not getting anyway with this at all.

the 0300 is useless i.e. can't get through to anybody no matter what auto option is chosen.

IHT can't help.

No private pension, no P800. Tax return potentially, he was retired for a number of years.

Again another simple piece required, that is far from simple. I have got his NI number.
    • johnD17
    • By johnD17 16th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnD17
    • 16th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    managed to get through by stating it was my tax position on the automated line, they wanted a letter to state I'm dealing with the estate, despite everything being pretty much done from a UK perspective, so hopefully I've moved it on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

2,673Users online

Martin's Twitter