PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DIY tranfer of name on deeds??

nightsong
nightsong Posts: 523 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 February 2018 at 4:50PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi wise MSE people.

Please could someone advise on this situation. My son and his girlfriend jointly own (tenants in common) a maisonette and an associated garage. There is no mortgage involved. The maisonette is leasehold (999 year lease) and the garage is freehold - they were bought together at the same time. We paid for both, with half the purchase price as a gift to our son and half as a loan to be repaid by them both.

She has left him, and is willing to have her name removed from the deeds in return for half the payments they made towards the loan, which will be about £2,700 for her. We are willing to pay her this.

It seems quite straightforward on the face of it and we would very much like to avoid solicitors' costs if possible. I'm quite clued up about this kind of thing, e.g. I've done Powers of Attorney myself before. So far I have downloaded form AP1 from the Land Registry and I know there is a companion "how to complete the form" document.

Do you think it's reasonable to DIY this? Are there any pitfalls I haven't forseen?

Thanks!

Comments

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You will also need Form LR TR1(to transfer from son and girlfriend to son and you or just son) and LR ID1 for son and girlfriend which is the ID form Land Registry want completed where you don't have a solicitor acting for you.

As it's Leasehold, you also might have to serve notice to advise in the change of ownership. Not too clued up on that aspect. Hopefully someone will be along who can give some pointers
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We enquired about putting my husband's name on the registration(deed papers no longer needed) of our house which is in my name.We were told that the options were using a solicitor or DIY,the latter requiring that both parties attend at our areas offices as a form of identification.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You need forms

TR1
    AP1
    ID1

ID can either be verified by a solicitor (ring round for quotes just for this), or free at a Land Regisry office (but only at the same time as submittting all 3 completed forms).

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1
  • Great information, thank you everyone for your helpful comments. We will have a go!
  • I recently did the forms myself for a transfer which was a little complicated after solicitors wanted to charge a fortune and were useless... It is not impossible but some of the forms are a bit confusing but if you go though the guides you can work it out.. The people at the LR offices are really good and will check over the forms, if you have done something wrong or missed something they will let you know and send it back to be amended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure