Changed element in fan oven; light bulb staying on

Options
I have a 15 year old Creda SPC60W Double Oven, and the fan oven stopped heating up. I guessed it was the element rather than the thermostat, so got a replacement which we fitted today.

The first time, my son hadn't attached one of the element parts securely, so when I turned the dial to turn the fan oven on, the fuse tripped back off. He then took the back panel off again and realised what had happened and reattached it securely (after using pliers to get the wire out far enough!)

As soon as we turned the fuse and oven back on at the wall, the fan oven light bulb in the oven came on, as did the fan!

The element is now correctly installed, as the oven heated up when I put it on. However, the light bulb and fan are staying on all the time unless I turn the oven off at the wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we could try next? (Obviously, I could call someone out to have a look, but was trying to avoid that in the first place!)
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like your son has disturbed the wiring when using the pliers to pull the cable through. Have you got the installation manual for the oven, or can you obtain one on the web? It will show how it should be wired in and I think the only action you can DIY is to isolate the oven completely, remove the back panel and double-check everything is as it should be. If it's not that, then something has happened to the circuitry as a result of the tripping/on/off of the electricity and will need professional help.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    There's nothing about the wiring in the manual we got with the oven, will have a look on the web for wiring diagrams.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure