Regular outgoings/insurance at new home

Hi - wanted to check with fellow community members if they agree/want to add any other regular outgoings as we are moving from a flat to a semi detached house:

- Building and content insurance
- Boiler and central heating
- Plumbing
- electric
- pest
- Home security
- Broadband and phone
- TV and tv licence
- Life insurance/mortgage insurance
- Appliance care if not included in content
- Water
- Council tax
- ... Please add

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mortgage payments themselves?
    Gas? If applicable?

What's "pest"? You mean things like mouse traps and what not?
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    vini_1983 wrote: »
    Hi - wanted to check with fellow community members if they agree/want to add any other regular outgoings as we are moving from a flat to a semi detached house:

- Building and content insurance
    - Boiler and central heating
    - Plumbing - what is this?
    - electric
    - pest - what is this?
    - Home security - what is this?
    - Broadband and phone
    - TV and tv licence
    - Life insurance/mortgage insurance
    - Appliance care if not included in content - do you really need this?
    - Water
    - Council tax
    - ... Please add

Gas and/or electric?

I'm not sure what some of those you have listed are for. Pest for instance - why would you need a monthly payment for this?
    :p
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php is a tool often recommended on here to those wanting a better handle on their finances and budgeting, as you'll see it offers a range of expenditure categories as well as modelling income and debts too....
  • Things I used to forget to budget for in the bad old days of penury!

Decorating internal and external
    Gutter clearing
    Window Cleaning
    garden plants, tools, maintenance
    tree surgery (if applicable)
    Wear and tear type renewals like carpets curtains and other big ticket items for which its better to have a saving pot
    :A Goddess :A
  • Thanks

By pest i means pest control insurance something what homeserve provides

By home security I meant ADT/secom etc
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Thanks

Pest control insurance? Are you expecting there to be a significant problem with pests? Having owned 4 different houses ranging in period of construction and location (1890s, 1930s, 1950s, 1990s, urban, sub-urban, semi-rural) I have never had a problem with pest infestation. If you do get a problem then some can be dealt with quite easily yourself and for others you get someone in and pay the money then, rather than line the pockets of Homeserve!

Why would plumbing be part of your regular expenditure?

Why would central heating/boiler be part of your regular expenditure? Pay for a service once a year.

Up to you if want to spend lots of money on an annual alarm contract. Do you need it? Is it a high crime area? What exactly does the alarm provide that will either deter burglars or prevent them from getting away with your possessions?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks

Homserve dont do pest control unless I have the wrong homeserve.

British Gas cover plumbing, electrics, central heating, boiler and you get a yearly boiler service included.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Homserve dont do pest control unless I have the wrong homeserve.

British Gas cover plumbing, electrics, central heating, boiler and you get a yearly boiler service included.

I've no idea whether Homeserve do pest control insurance or not, but I think the idea of paying for it is loopy.

British Gas will sell you an insurance policy for all those things, but what's the chance you're going to need them? The boiler service can be bought from any Gas Safe engineer for comfortably under £100, but British Gas will [STRIKE]rip you off[/STRIKE] charge you £246 per year to cover you for all sorts of things that you don't need covered.

Electrical cover??? Assuming your electrical installation is safe (and if it isn't then you need to get a rewire, which they won't cover you for) then it isn't going to fail. If a circuit trips you just switch it back on. If it trips repeatedly then you might want to get an electrician out, but that's quite unusual. Again, never needed to call an electrician out in an emergency - why would I? I have had a house rewired and I've had new consumer units put in to two others, along with some extra sockets and a cable for a shower, but these were all planned works that I wouldn't have been covered for with British Gas.

Plumbing is another interesting one. Your buildings insurance will probably cover you for most emergencies, and if it doesn't you can add it for a much lower price than British Gas charge.

British Gas are complete rip-off merchants. My brother recently needed to buy a new boiler. Local Gas Safe engineer quoted £1500 to supply and fit. British Gas - for the same boiler - quoted £1800 for the boiler plus £1800 to fit it :eek: British Gas wanted £2100 more for the work! That's 140% extra. :eek:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 9:19AM
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I've no idea whether Homeserve do pest control insurance or not, but I think the idea of paying for it is loopy.

British Gas will sell you an insurance policy for all those things, but what's the chance you're going to need them? The boiler service can be bought from any Gas Safe engineer for comfortably under £100, but British Gas will [STRIKE]rip you off[/STRIKE] charge you £246 per year to cover you for all sorts of things that you don't need covered.

Electrical cover??? Assuming your electrical installation is safe (and if it isn't then you need to get a rewire, which they won't cover you for) then it isn't going to fail. If a circuit trips you just switch it back on. If it trips repeatedly then you might want to get an electrician out, but that's quite unusual. Again, never needed to call an electrician out in an emergency - why would I? I have had a house rewired and I've had new consumer units put in to two others, along with some extra sockets and a cable for a shower, but these were all planned works that I wouldn't have been covered for with British Gas.

Plumbing is another interesting one. Your buildings insurance will probably cover you for most emergencies, and if it doesn't you can add it for a much lower price than British Gas charge.

British Gas are complete rip-off merchants. My brother recently needed to buy a new boiler. Local Gas Safe engineer quoted £1500 to supply and fit. British Gas - for the same boiler - quoted £1800 for the boiler plus £1800 to fit it :eek: British Gas wanted £2100 more for the work! That's 140% extra. :eek:

Homeserve dont do pest control so not sure what the OP was thinking.

£20 a month would cover all the things I mentioned, yes its pricey I know @£240 a year. Yes the options can be added to an insurance policy, was pointing out BG cover them, not had a problem with BG.
    I agree about the boilers from BG, its 1 thing I wouldnt buy from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure