Using Direct Debits to Credit Cards

Is it possible to have more than one direct debit for the same credit card? For instance could I spend £40 a month on petrol on my Tesco credit card every month and set up direct debits of £10 a month to the credit card from 4 different bank accounts to meet the requirements of those accounts?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In a word, no.
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh dear. Thought I had a cunning plan there. Not easy to get all these DDs to fund loads of accounts. Somebody on here the other day said they had 15 accounts. Must take some doing!
  • You can only have one direct debit for each credit card.

If you need direct debits to meet current account conditions you can use Tesco internet saver and I think you can set up more than one on the account. Paypal and charities are the other ones suggested. There is a thread on here somewhere.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bioboybill
    I believe the Tesco saver DDs are going in April and PayPal also stopping them. Shame. Charities still a decent option. I have a few credit cards I never use, so options there.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bioboybill wrote: »
    I believe the Tesco saver DDs are going in April and PayPal also stopping them. Shame. Charities still a decent option. I have a few credit cards I never use, so options there.

To give a number of charities enough to make taking a DD worthwhile, you would probably have given away any interest you were aiming to earn. This has been discussed quite widely on here.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It rather depends if you have householder expenses, but here are some of the possibities:

Council tax can be paid in 12 installments-that facility was brought in a few years ago. By default councils seem to stick to the 10 payments!
    Now would be a good time to notify your council as they will be setting up payments for the new financial year.

Having several CCs and using one each week in sequence each month- that has the possibility to create 4 xDDs

Water should also be available as 12 payments
    other household bills monthly- telephony, gas/leccy, Sky

Monthly savings a/cs if available:- Saga telephone (been a nightmare!) BM savings, PO, your local credit union

Park Christmas club (not covered by FC-but mine is £1.50pm)

Soulsaver 'advertised' a local charity lottery- money to a cardiac unit- £1 pm (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73731894#post73731894- post #6)

There are quite a few charities advertising £2 monthly DD
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • bioboybill
    teddysmum wrote: »
    To give a number of charities enough to make taking a DD worthwhile, you would probably have given away any interest you were aiming to earn. This has been discussed quite widely on here.
    Well I already give £11 a month to Red Cross. Have been doing that for about 8 years, but have read some poor reports about how useless they are at using the money, and how their bosses get ridiculous salaries, so thinking of splitting £12 a month between 4 or 5 charities instead.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bioboybill wrote: »
    Well I already give £11 a month to Red Cross. Have been doing that for about 8 years, but have read some poor reports about how useless they are at using the money, and how their bosses get ridiculous salaries, so thinking of splitting £12 a month between 4 or 5 charities instead.

Several charities advertise for £2 per month- I think the following: Dog's Trust, Save the Children, WaterAid, Christian Aid for starters...
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Katiehound wrote: »
    It rather depends if you have householder expenses, but here are some of the possibities:

Council tax can be paid in 12 installments-that facility was brought in a few years ago. By default councils seem to stick to the 10 payments!
    Now would be a good time to notify your council as they will be setting up payments for the new financial year.

Having several CCs and using one each week in sequence each month- that has the possibility to create 4 xDDs

Water should also be available as 12 payments
    other household bills monthly- telephony, gas/leccy, Sky

Monthly savings a/cs if available:- Saga telephone (been a nightmare!) BM savings, PO, your local credit union

Park Christmas club (not covered by FC-but mine is £1.50pm)

Soulsaver 'advertised' a local charity lottery- money to a cardiac unit- £1 pm (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73731894#post73731894- post #6)

There are quite a few charities advertising £2 monthly DD

good examples there, there are also other options, for example:

regular payers of the national lottery can pay via direct debit (obviously false economy if set up as new player to get the incentives, but if already play on a weekly basis no different).

Any one who has the NHS Pre Payment Certificate for prescriptions can also pay via direct debit (rather than card payment, and is also worth considering for those who don't have a PPC but have prescriptions for two or more medicines a month - https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates

TV licence can be paid via monthly direct debit (but first dd licence purchased licence gets paid over 6 months so is more initially)

postcode lottery also claims via direct debit (again if you already play can move to the account you need the dd for.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • Nationwide8
    Nationwide8 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    edited 4 February 2018 at 2:09PM
    I use my DD PPC for one of my M&S DDs as they will only let you pay it in 10 monthly payments.

Hadn't thought of the NL DD it's a pity they don't let you play once or twice a month ( which I do now ) by DD Like a lot of others will be DDs "short" for one account when Tesco withdraws them.Regular savers are the alternative for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure