Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 30th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,376Posts
    • 2,237Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    cheapest way to buy cotton bedding/feather quilts
    • 30th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    cheapest way to buy cotton bedding/feather quilts 30th Jan 18 at 11:07 AM
    Hi! Proud owner of a brand new dbl divan.....NEVER had a new bed in my life! Looking for recommendations for best & cheapest place to source cotton bedding( duvet cover/pillowcases/fitted under sheet) and (if not too dear) a cotton/feather mattress protector. Just for the speed aspect I ordered all these from argos, cotton/polyester mix. Seem fine but a tiny bit sweaty!

Used a goose sgl duvet before....LOVELY.....warm/no sweating! I know some people object to the slight smell but fades after 3 months or so. Also already have 2 goose pillow.....again very comfortable.

EBay/amazon confuses the hell out of me as the lead in price is for 1 item....not a set. Only true bargain I found was the duck feather pillows at 10 (less 25% code on site) from the outlet that MSE has on its home page....can't recall name....but if you factor in 2.99 delivery back up to a tenner but still cheap.

EBay & Amazon are SO confusing......why do no companies do quilt cover/fitted sheet/pillow cases as a set???!

Any advice/links would be great. The bed is SO comfy and I need decent sleep as am a sole carer for g/f who is not well.

Can't afford the earth but realise 800 thread top quality Egyptian cotton is probably out of my range! Happy with pure cotton or 200 thread (whatever that means!).

Thanks any eBay/Amazon/internet experts that might help me wade through the cr*p and find something at a decent price that does not produce any sweating!!!! Ewwwwww!
Page 1
    • pimento
    • By pimento 30th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 7,008 Thanks
    pimento
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    John Lewis.

I've bought cotton bedding from ebay before and been very disappointed. Pay the extra and do it properly. Buy cheap - buy twice.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 31st Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    Hi! Thanks for replying. Had a good look on j lewis, at the mo can't afford them. Have also been looking at direct textile firms, I'm not tech savvy enough to open a new window but rhe top 5 or so are around a tenner or so dearer rhan ebay/anazon and seem to have good feedback. There is alsl the bedding outlet shop MSE sometimes have on the weekly mail which presently has a 25 percent disc code on it...again can't recall nane as don't know how to open another window on anart phone!

GRRRR...bring back simple candy bar old nokias!

Any one else got any ideas?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 31st Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 29,399 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    Wait for the Blue Cross sale at Jl, HoF etc, 70% reduction makes good quality affordable

Seriously , buy cheap, you will buy again and again

First good bedding I bought back in 2000, two sets, changed week and week about. 200 in the sales, one set is still going strong

Bought new bedding 3 years ago in the blue cross sale and I expect that to last 15/20 years
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 31st Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    Look at TK Max.
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 31st Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    Hi!
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    HI, thanks. Looked at t k maxx, could only find synthetic bedding. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 31st Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    HI, thanks. Looked at t k maxx, could only find synthetic bedding. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Originally posted by DEBTMONKEY1A
    Have you looked in store in TK Maxx as they vary their in store goods to whats on the website.
    Hiraeth
    • Icecannon
    • By Icecannon 31st Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Icecannon
    • 31st Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    John Lewis for the duvet, I prefer a little weight to the duvet, the 100% down ones are far to light, so went for 1 of the feather/down ones which are a lot cheaper.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 31st Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 35,997 Posts
    • 46,353 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 31st Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    I bought some at Dunelm, nearly 100 each, they were so noisy wnen sleeping under we hardly got any sleep, so be aware
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 1st Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 5,380 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    I use Soak & Sleep (online), and I've been very happy with everything that's come from there so far.

I bought their wool duvet, which feels a bit different and has a slightly noisy cover (a scrunchy noise if that makes sense!) but I've had much less trouble with overheating at night since.

They are one of those very heavy advertising firms though, so if you sign up with them be prepared for lots of emails with special offers and sales. Stuff does come quickly and efficiently and nicely packaged though.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 1st Feb 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Cisco001
    My bed sheet and pillows case are from ikea or tkmaxx
    Duvet and mattress protector are from soak and sleep.
    • caroline1973
    • By caroline1973 1st Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    caroline1973
    I've used 'boston duvet and pillow' to buy duvets from and they were as nice as the one that I bought from John Lewis (I bought the soft as a peach duvet). If you go on their outlet page, there is also a discount code for 25% off as well at the minute.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Feb 18, 8:02 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I bought all my 100% cotton duvet covers, pillow cases and fitted sheets from Argos fairly cheaply. You could also try Homescapes for higher thread counts and Percale although they are a lot more expensive.

I go for wool for my pillows, duvet and mattress topper/protector. I bought Baavet but you can also try The Wool Room. I've found they do regulate my temperature and I don't get too hot as with all other duvet fillings I've tried including feather, down and a combination of the two.

My only criticism of most wool duvets is the "not treated with chemicals" promotional description and the cleaning instruction to dry clean them: When we dry clean them we treat them them with chemicals!
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 6th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    kev25v6
    Bought all ours from Ikea, cheap enough and nice and comfy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

7,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin