cheapest way to buy cotton bedding/feather quilts

Hi! Proud owner of a brand new dbl divan.....NEVER had a new bed in my life! Looking for recommendations for best & cheapest place to source cotton bedding( duvet cover/pillowcases/fitted under sheet) and (if not too dear) a cotton/feather mattress protector. Just for the speed aspect I ordered all these from argos, cotton/polyester mix. Seem fine but a tiny bit sweaty!

Used a goose sgl duvet before....LOVELY.....warm/no sweating! I know some people object to the slight smell but fades after 3 months or so. Also already have 2 goose pillow.....again very comfortable.

EBay/amazon confuses the hell out of me as the lead in price is for 1 item....not a set. Only true bargain I found was the duck feather pillows at £10 (less 25% code on site) from the outlet that MSE has on its home page....can't recall name....but if you factor in £2.99 delivery back up to a tenner but still cheap.

EBay & Amazon are SO confusing......why do no companies do quilt cover/fitted sheet/pillow cases as a set???!

Any advice/links would be great. The bed is SO comfy and I need decent sleep as am a sole carer for g/f who is not well.

Can't afford the earth but realise 800 thread top quality Egyptian cotton is probably out of my range! Happy with pure cotton or 200 thread (whatever that means!).

Thanks any eBay/Amazon/internet experts that might help me wade through the cr*p and find something at a decent price that does not produce any sweating!!!! Ewwwwww!:beer:

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    John Lewis.

I've bought cotton bedding from ebay before and been very disappointed. Pay the extra and do it properly. Buy cheap - buy twice.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Hi! Thanks for replying. Had a good look on j lewis, at the mo can't afford them. Have also been looking at direct textile firms, I'm not tech savvy enough to open a new window but rhe top 5 or so are around a tenner or so dearer rhan ebay/anazon and seem to have good feedback. There is alsl the bedding outlet shop MSE sometimes have on the weekly mail which presently has a 25 percent disc code on it...again can't recall nane as don't know how to open another window on anart phone!

GRRRR...bring back simple candy bar old nokias!

Any one else got any ideas?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wait for the Blue Cross sale at Jl, HoF etc, 70% reduction makes good quality affordable

Seriously , buy cheap, you will buy again and again

First good bedding I bought back in 2000, two sets, changed week and week about. £200 in the sales, one set is still going strong

Bought new bedding 3 years ago in the blue cross sale and I expect that to last 15/20 years
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Look at TK Max.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    HI, thanks. Looked at t k maxx, could only find synthetic bedding. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HI, thanks. Looked at t k maxx, could only find synthetic bedding. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Have you looked in store in TK Maxx as they vary their in store goods to whats on the website.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • John Lewis for the duvet, I prefer a little weight to the duvet, the 100% down ones are far to light, so went for 1 of the feather/down ones which are a lot cheaper.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I bought some at Dunelm, nearly £100 each, they were so noisy wnen sleeping under we hardly got any sleep, so be aware
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    I use Soak & Sleep (online), and I've been very happy with everything that's come from there so far.

I bought their wool duvet, which feels a bit different and has a slightly noisy cover (a scrunchy noise if that makes sense!) but I've had much less trouble with overheating at night since.

They are one of those very heavy advertising firms though, so if you sign up with them be prepared for lots of emails with special offers and sales. Stuff does come quickly and efficiently and nicely packaged though.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My bed sheet and pillows case are from ikea or tkmaxx
    Duvet and mattress protector are from soak and sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure