Can't use live mail account after fixing security

Options
Yesterday Google asked me to fix security on various 'apps' and asked me to press on various buttons to automatically resolve them. I assume one must have been my live mail email account under perhaps a different name than 'live mail', since I can't seem to use it now. It comes up with this error. I am logged into Google OK. Have you any idea how this can be resolved?
Unable to send or receive messages for the Googlemail ...... account. Header download for the 'Enquiries' folder did not complete. The operation was canceled by the user.

Server Response: WEBALERT https://accounts.google.com/signin/continue?sarp=1&scc=1&plt=AKgnsbuKp13eN2ybuBHfMNSv1a8-gweu96Ua6N05awaFpiEnMHMnHFOymk_WukuxtRZFgVPNEUCRlgBboFJFjhyGOjuRBYu8b9UdNSL3uQh7QFTwX66q5dIl2N9HbdbLcBJhZ7DB7hqGoWILu0N6NlCmZUpdb4FRi_3G4DcbyQZ0Kc_-IMMEgeuXW9Gcmk6Me9JaxmhJelTC36-0un-LdH7J17RzpTf5i0M5kkiCHi7pq6vpNoNGSi0] Web login required.
Server: 'imap.googlemail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): Yes

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go to your Google account settings. Go to the security section of those settings. Scroll to the bottom. Turn 'Allow less secure apps' on.

If you don't want to allow less secure apps change your email client to a newer on that does not need this setting on.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    If you don't want to allow less secure apps change your email client to a newer one that does not need this setting on.
    Are there any?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • andromedean
    andromedean Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Go to your Google account settings. Go to the security section of those settings. Scroll to the bottom. Turn 'Allow less secure apps' on.

If you don't want to allow less secure apps change your email client to a newer on that does not need this setting on.

Thanks for that

Google should tell people if you turn this setting off it will render the email account useless!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Under 'password and sign in method' there should also be an option for 'app passwords' that lets you create a one-off password for apps that don't call Googles login prompt directly (with all the security that brings)

Although I agree with wongataa about looking for a new client. The Live mail client is no longer supported and won't get security fixes.

There are some suggestions for alternatives here http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternative-to-windows-live-mail
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • wongataa
    edited 30 January 2018 at 11:08AM
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Are there any?
    Thunderbird, the mail client built into Windows 10, and eM Client do not require the allow less secure app setting turned on. I'm sure there are others too but I have experience with these.
  • wongataa
    Options
    Thanks for that

Google should tell people if you turn this setting off it will render the email account useless!
    Only if using outdated software to access your emails. I use email clients that work without this setting on to access my gmail account. Windows Live Mail stopped being supported several years ago now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure