PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leased garage (Naughty neighbors)

Options
Hello, I own a coach house freehold with 3 garages bellow 1 of which is mine, the other two are leased for 999 years to nearing homes. I have become aware that one of the garages has had a tumble Dryer and lights installed. The 3 garages all have electric doors installed by the developer. They have used the cable for the garage to create a plug socket then multi plug adapter to power a light and dryer inside the garage. I'm waiting on the developers getting back to me regarding who pays for the electric garages as if they are some how linked back to the homes meter or if its off my meter hence if it is they now owe me for how ever long they have been using this dryer and light? and im sure a dryer is not cheap to run.

I'm not sure how to approach the people that have done this ? because its surely a criminal offence to be using my electricity with out my permission plus a break of lease agreement as it sates they cant do any thing that voids my building insurance which it defiantly does. and they have made a modification to my building in a sense which i own and lease to them ? so surely thats another problem ?

I'm wondering how people would approach this ? do i need a solicitor ? (as i really don't want the cost)

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    HarrisonRW wrote: »
    Hello, I own a coach house freehold with 3 garages bellow 1 of which is mine, the other two are leased for 999 years to nearing homes. I have become aware that one of the garages has had a tumble Dryer and lights installed. The 3 garages all have electric doors installed by the developer. They have used the cable for the garage to create a plug socket then multi plug adapter to power a light and dryer inside the garage. I'm waiting on the developers getting back to me regarding who pays for the electric garages as if they are some how linked back to the homes meter or if its off my meter hence if it is they now owe me for how ever long they have been using this dryer and light? and im sure a dryer is not cheap to run.

I'm not sure how to approach the people that have done this ? because its surely a criminal offence to be using my electricity with out my permission plus a break of lease agreement as it sates they cant do any thing that voids my building insurance which it defiantly does. and they have made a modification to my building in a sense which i own and lease to them ? so surely thats another problem ?

I'm wondering how people would approach this ? do i need a solicitor ? (as i really don't want the cost)
    The first thing to do is take clear photos of the set-up as it is now, if you can. You may need this to prove what was done if the garage users get wind of your concern and start undoing what they've put in place. That's if what they are doing is improper, of course.

It sounds as if you might already paying for the (admittedly small amount of) electricity used to power the electric doors. How is that dealt with on the lease? Do you know if each garage has its own power supply? If you own the garages, you must know or be able to find out these things.

In terms of cost, a typical tumble dryer will cost about 30-40 pence per load, so if they are running it, say, five times a week, it and the light are probably costing you about £10 per month.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would worry about the safety of an installation, probably done by an amateur, which could overload the system.

You could ask the fire brigade about safety and get them to approach the neighbour, as they are more likely to take the advice of a fireman.
  • Cyclemonkey1
    Options
    Can you check? Switch off the electricity in your house and see if it goes off in all three garages as well.

Or the other way to do it is to switch off all the appliances in your house and check to see if your meter is still going round.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'm wondering whether the adaptation they've made is safe actually.

Perhaps it would be worth checking with an electrician to see if it is actually possible for them to make such an adaptation in a safe way or no. That would be my first consideration - and I'd find out the answer to that question to start with. If it isn't safe - then maybe someone/some body "official" could make them remove this and restore the status quo ante.

If you establish it is safe - then go on from there to check what the implications are re your insurance cover and you not being the own paying for their power.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

That’s unusual to own a freehold coach house.

You don’t even know how the electricity is being supplied to the garage to wait until you know that before getting your knickers in a twist about criminal offences and involving solicitors.

How does them having a tumble dryer in the garage invalidate your buildings insurance?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    they cant do any thing that voids my building insurance which it defiantly does
    Doubt it. What part of your insurance policy do you think would lead to it being voided?
    and they have made a modification to my building in a sense which i own and lease to them ? so surely thats another problem ?
    What does their lease say about it?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I had plug sockets inside my 2 garages within a similar set-up. Are you sure they didn't have them too? I'm also pretty certain I paid for my own electricity and that the flat above didn't pay for it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Out of interest,on the leased garages are there any conditions that need to be adhered to,ie no tumble dryers,and can you hear it when it's on from your property?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Out of interest,on the leased garages are there any conditions that need to be adhered to,ie no tumble dryers,and can you hear it when it's on from your property?
    The way you've written that made me immediately think: Are you one of the garage renters? ;)

I'd get some washing loads done quickly, before the plug is pulled!
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 4:51PM
    Options
    The way you've written that made me immediately think: Are you one of the garage renters? ;)

I'd get some washing loads done quickly, before the plug is pulled!

OMG.
    NO I'm not,I guess I'm just very curious!

Although surely the savvy renter could have all manner of heated rails to dry exta washing too,I guess if they had the capability of a water supply the washing machine would be the icing on the cake!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills