Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,587Posts
    • 26,244Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 59
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th May 18, 8:18 AM
    • 12,805 Posts
    • 221,900 Thanks
    greenbee
    GQ - I really think you should talk sensibly to your pal... you clearly love what you do in his shop! Talk about how much work he could give you now (bear in mind he'll have to provide you with a pension, so you'd still be building that up) and how does that compare to what you're currently doing in terms of hours and income. Could you cut your hours with your current employer and increase them with your pal? That way you haven't burned your boats if you want to go back... it sounds as if the shop hours you currently do as 'leisure' are less exhausting for you than the day job! And would your pal want you to continue running the shop past his retirement to provide him with an income when he can no longer work? It may be that him gradually reducing his hours and you increasing yours might work.

I'm sure you've probably thought of all this, but you seem to love it so much it seems a pity to pass up the opportunity if there's a possibility that this could work out.

I think you'd need to have a conversation about wanting to see the books (I suspect you're already more familiar with them than he is ) and look at the viability of the business over the rest of your working life.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 30,083 Posts
    • 174,471 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, excellent points from greenbee!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    These are all good points but there are mitigating factors which cannot be discussed online and the juntique shop might even change hands within months, we shall see. I shall stay with my (relatively) secure job and play around over there as and when the mood strikes. If one isn't on the payroll, one can be free to come and go, hmm?

Wiped myself out with too much activity yesterday and am exhausted. No gardening for moi tonight but might work on the nets again as I want them to be ready for the weekend so they can go over to The Homestead.

Yess, but I will only be there 24 hrs and probably no kondo-ing to be done. Unless I'm really really tempted.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 30,083 Posts
    • 174,471 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry you're shattered, GQ, hope you feel better tomorrow.

Also apologising for bugging you about the job change - as greenbee says, it *is* just because you obviously love it, and it just seems so right for you. Ah well, there are realities at play that are equally weighty.

I haven't done all of the rubbish-to-the-bin my shoulder wouldn't take it. But its a very lovely day out there
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thanks, hun.

Most of the business of the juntique shop is the knowledge inside my pal's head and his connections, so it isn't like selling oranges and he and I are not interchangeable - I'm just the lively one with the eye for presentation and design. And a magpie's lurve of junk jewellery.

Feeling so whacked out that I've lost the thermostat and had to bung the heating on, despite the wool top and fleece waistcoat. ME is a right pain in the arris. Nice sunny day out there, would you credit.

Have decided that I really need to ration allotmenteering to alternate evenings or I get too shattered to function after 3 nights or so. So I shall rest tonight and do a bit tomorrow, those weeds ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

In discussion with Mum, she suggested that I just bring the nets ready for sewing and we do it at hers as she has a lot more space to put up her sewing machine than I have to put up mine. So that's one thing off the to-do list.

I am about to make a vat of chili con carne, getting myself on the outside of some of that will build up my strength and operating temperature. Onwards, outward and beyooooond!!

Oooh, near,y forgot, Mum's been hunting for the rubber letters for the 'Printy' - a stamp for addresses and cannot find them. There is a suspicion that they might be in one of the two drawers of the oak Utility cabinet. I've not seen this piece of furniture for about 20 years and tend to forget that she owns it. Along with a full-size filing cabinet, a single wardrobe and a big bookcase, it is hidden behind a wall of floor-to-ceiling boxes of books. But, she has decided, that it's Time that Kid Bruv moved those boxes so we can declutter that piece of furniture and maybe, just maybe, find the Printy's accessories.

There's sure to be something (or several somethings) of the utterly ridiculous nature in the cabinet, my fingers are already itching with kondo-fever to get hold of them. I shall be sure to update you laters. GQ xx
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 15-05-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th May 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 63,557 Thanks
    silvasava
    Popped in to the Sally Army with a bag of ragging and a bag with a black pigskin jacket that I no longer wear, the case to my defunct tablet, a couple of books and the foulies. I've a pot of lemon balm to exchange with a friend for some dill. My OOD climbing beans have nearly all germinated! Too many for us so I'll share them out.
    GQ - have you any experience of spinach beet? I've got some seeds sprouting as I thought they may be good as fresh greens for the winter but don't have any idea about them!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    There was a row of spinach beet growing on the plot I shared with someone for 18 months before I got Plot1. TBH, I was underwhelmed with them and found the leaves a bit stringy, fibrous and the taste was a bit strong for my palette, too.

I much prefer chard, it overwinters just fine (at least in my part of the world) and can be eaten raw, which is fast and easy, as well as cooked, if you insist. It's reckoned to be very nutritious and, if you let it set seed, as I did accidentally, you'll have feral chards like mine for about 8 years.

Which reminds me, must sling the silver chard seed I bought the other week into the ground. I also have a pkt of ruby chard which I inherited from somewhere, think it's 13 years OOD. What I thought I'd do is mix the two kinds and, if any rubies germinate, I shall know how well these seeds store.

Just kondo'd two OOD cans of red kidney beans and two OOD cartons of passata into the chili. Oh, and the chili powder was bought from Julian Gr aves in their closing down sale, so that's a bit ancient, too. All will be well. Kondo-ing in the kitchen cupboards a-go-go.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 6,925 Posts
    • 44,212 Thanks
    Pooky
    Despite all the kondoing over the past 18 months of so I've been called into action. DD1 is buying a flat (fingers crossed), it's shared ownership and she's passed the initial finically assessments and sent all her proof off, found a solicitor and an IFA and is all ready to step forward into home ownership at the tender age of 22. Both her and her younger sister decided to do a boot sale at the weekend to raise some "new sofa" funds so I have been really ruthless and found nearly a car load of stuff to take too -amazing what you realise Justin doesn't need when your first born is being so grown up and getting stuck in at life.

I've also been kondoing at the allotment - 42 pallets now adorn the plot as fences, all lovely and secure and I even turned one into a gate that DH managed to hang for me today. Tomorrow is a big day as the first plants will actually go in!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 14,256 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Managed to Kondo another item out to a freegler

I'll add another listing now and message the other chappie...
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 63,557 Thanks
    silvasava
    Thanks for the advice on the spinach Bert GQ - I'll only plant a few seedlings and get some chard too. Just wanted the option of some fresh green veg in the winter and as I'm M CH further south than you should be OK.
    Have fun at the homestead and don't get too carried away!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    No probs, hun.

Been to work and am feeling shattered and not at all well. Short version is; starting a cold. Will be vegging out this evening and going to bed for a sleep right now.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 30,083 Posts
    • 174,471 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to hear you've caught something, GQ - best thing for you is sleep, of course, you're right.
    Retired August 2016
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 63,557 Thanks
    silvasava
    Wrap up warm and get thee to bed GQ - hopefully with a good rest you can kick the worst of it. Hope you feel better soon.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thank you, lovely ladies. Am now back up and about to ingest a portion of h.m soup from my very own grown leeks and butter nut squash. That'll put hairs on my chest.

Then, if I feel up to a wee bit of exercise, I may toddle 3 mins up the road to raid Tosspots at YS tyme, my fave non-blood sport. Gotta keep moving and bargaineering.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 16th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Hello kondoistas
    I!!!8217;ve been away since before the end of the last thread and just popped back up to say hi. You will all be thrilled to know that during my absence, knicker folding did not slip once, nor did rag bagging to the recycle bin.
    Apr 16 Total cc 0% debt £8364/3499 updated 15 Oct 17
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 26,244 Thanks
    Slinky
    Have been kondoing away many hours this morning trying to write my privacy policy and work on GDPR, oh how I wish I could kick them into the long grass but deadline day is approaching.

I'm after some advice ladies. I need to have my wedding and engagement ring resized as I'm about to be the lucky recipient of an eternity ring. My current rings are a little tight and quite a large groove has been made in my finger. The lady in the jewellers recommends going up at least a half size, and possibly a full size+ on the engagement ring as it will be sitting closer to the knuckle (the eternity ring will be the furthest from the knuckle). On a hot day they sit quite tight at the moment, in the cold, they tend to rotate around my finger. The lady says that if the rings are larger, the groove in my finger will fill out again and the newly sized rings will become less loose over time. I've got quite skinny fingers so one ring is currently J, the other is J 1/2. She's talking about going to K with the wedding ring and suggesting K 1/2 with the engagement ring which is currently the smaller of the two.

Has anybody got any experience of ring fingers filling out if they've stopped wearing a tight ring please.
    • Chieveley
    • By Chieveley 17th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Chieveley
    Have been kondoing away many hours this morning trying to write my privacy policy and work on GDPR, oh how I wish I could kick them into the long grass but deadline day is approaching.

Has anybody got any experience of ring fingers filling out if they've stopped wearing a tight ring please.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I did a brief presentation on GDPR yesterday, feedback to DH later, "i don't understand" doh
    Ref ring sizes, I lost weight so mine were to big so I got a jeweller to put in a small gold ring sizer reducer bar to help keep them on. Could consider that if you go too big.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 12,231 Posts
    • 235,431 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Spent two hours allotmenteering and decluttered a large bramble bush. Also sorted through a bucket of trash picked out of the soil.

Metal bits in one place (eventually will go for recycling), brick and pottery fragments in another, to go to rubble section of the tip. Rotten pieces of wood added to the net onion sack to air dry (burning in autumn), glass sherds put in a tin and brought home (washing and into recycling bank) and that just left a lot of small bits of former carrier and bread bags, plus bits of roofing felt, all of which have been added to the trash bag.

plasticplasticplastic, how I hate thee, plastic.

Oh, and I killed a buried vitalite marg tub. Stuck a fork thru it. You can't get these any more, you know, and I've done gone and ruined it, wah!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• NaughtySpot
    • By NaughtySpot 18th May 18, 7:37 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    NaughtySpot

I'm after some advice ladies. I need to have my wedding and engagement ring resized as I'm about to be the lucky recipient of an eternity ring. My current rings are a little tight and quite a large groove has been made in my finger. The lady in the jewellers recommends going up at least a half size, and possibly a full size+ on the engagement ring as it will be sitting closer to the knuckle (the eternity ring will be the furthest from the knuckle). On a hot day they sit quite tight at the moment, in the cold, they tend to rotate around my finger. The lady says that if the rings are larger, the groove in my finger will fill out again and the newly sized rings will become less loose over time. I've got quite skinny fingers so one ring is currently J, the other is J 1/2. She's talking about going to K with the wedding ring and suggesting K 1/2 with the engagement ring which is currently the smaller of the two.

Originally posted by Slinky
    Grooves in skin definitely fill out over time, but I would say it takes months (too tight rings when pregnant here, and couldn’t get them back on a few months later), why not just get the eternity ring and see how you get on? The best answer is probably not to wear any for a couple of months and let it all settle, it that a possibility for you?
    • wort
    • By wort 18th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 10,926 Thanks
    wort
    Slinky, I have a problem of small fingers, I think it's the knuckle that is bigger than the bits in between , so mine whizz round in cold weather but I struggle to get them off over the joint. Mine are about the same size.
    If they are bigger they slide off completely in cold weather. I don't have 3 rings on one finger though,and probably depends how wide each ring is.
    Sorry I don't know anything about fingers filling back out, but I would of thought mine at least will continue to get smaller and the knuckles bigger, with age/arthritis.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,175Posts Today

7,192Users online

Martin's Twitter