Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elliesmemory1
    • By elliesmemory1 14th Jan 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1,201Posts
    • 689Thanks
    elliesmemory1
    Needle felting
    • 14th Jan 18, 3:35 PM
    Needle felting 14th Jan 18 at 3:35 PM
    Anyone do this? It doesn't look too difficult.
Page 1
    • AlwaysAllie
    • By AlwaysAllie 15th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    AlwaysAllie
    • 15th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    Originally posted by elliesmemory1
    Iíve tried dry felting but not wet. And only flat pieces, no 3D animals which seem to be popular. Itís fun, a little monotonous at times if youíre doing a large section, and a bit repetitive in terms of hand/wrist aches. Easy to pick up though.

Enjoy!

AA
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 23rd Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    Originally posted by elliesmemory1

I have done a couple of needle felted pictures. I use a single needle, though you can quicken the process by using six needles together in a gadget. I start by laying out the background on a piece of net curtain or other loosely woven fabric, about six layers crisscrossing, in colours of your choice. Finishing with smaller pieces for the detail on the top. I put this on a piece of thick foam, and bodge away, for a long time. More wool can be added, if you make a mistake you can peel wool off and re position it.

It does take a lot of bodging, the wool is felted by the barbs on the needle. You can bodge while watching the TV, but don't stick your finger. I finish off with lots of embroidery over the top of it, then frame it.

You can also make small felted animals, not my thing. Plenty of youtube vids. The wool can be a bit expensive if you want a good variety of colours.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • murie
    • By murie 23rd Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 9,466 Thanks
    murie
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    I am new to sewing (wantng to try a new hobby for 2018).
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a free bunny rabbit pattern, preferably one with a gusset in the head to make it more dimensional. I have very basic sewing skills (and I mean basic lol) but want to try something new without ploughing too many pennies into it in case I don't enjoy it/am rubbish.
    TIA x
    lovin' this site!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 62,485 Posts
    • 365,971 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 23rd Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    I went to a free workshop once where we got to try this. I think it took me an hour to make a small ball the size of a pea. I could probably have bought 10 in a bag for £1 on ebay

It's clearly not my thing.
    • fatblackandwhite
    • By fatblackandwhite 13th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    fatblackandwhite
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    I do this. I am not an expert but can make a bear in about an hour. Its really easy to do if you are used to doing fiddly things with your hands. You have to concentrate though because it really hurts when you stab yourself!
    • Robots
    • By Robots 22nd Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Robots
    • 22nd Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    Hobbycraft has a few starter kits for around £3-5 each - llama, giraffe, etc. They're great for beginners as they use a polystyrene shape to felt onto which is easier than shaping yourself when a newbie
    Veteran gamer and clean freak
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin