Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 942Posts
    • 4,186Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast 14th Jan 18 at 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast - Day 1

Every year, I think to myself, yes this year I would like to cut back financially but it's a bit like a diet, after a while bad habits creep in and before you know it..... you know where I'm at!

Well this year, my fiscal fast HAS to be until October as 2 of my gorgeous children are getting married and EVERY penny has to be a prisoner or earn it's keep!

So would you like to join me on this military style financial assault course?

Stock Taking

My big weakness is stationery and beautiful paper - well having just re-organised my cupboard I don't NEED anymore.

I am going to make long lists of what I have in all my cupboards (especially food) and ONLY buy when I have run out and NOT when there is a good deal on.

No more window shopping - too much temptation!

I could go on and on but more tomorrow.

So, are you up for this ruthless challenge or would you just like to encourage me in my mission?

TM6
    xxx
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
Page 3
    • TM6
    • By TM6 1st Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 20
    Fiscal Fast Day 20

Just a few bits this morning at Tesco and a £1 in the charity shop

Really pleased especially with the cut backs we are making on our grocery shopping.

To get inspiration I watched an edition of 'Extreme Cheapskates' but some of the folk on there are just plain weird! For example,
    a millionairess who wees in a jar and then puts it on her veg patch to save money on water from flushing her toilet?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 2nd Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 21
    Fiscal Fast Day 21

Wow!

I'm now 3 weeks into my challenge and 95% of it has been a piece of cake. The other 5% has been monumentally hard due to my love of shopping! I have had a few episodes of withdrawal symptoms - crazy isn't it!

Due to the healthy points that I have been earning with Nectar, my normal supermarket has been Sainsbury's but our spending habits are definitely changing. When we do shop we are shopping more now at Bookers as they have awesome RTC's and the fresh produce is lasting much longer than the normal supermarkets

Anyhow, today was a Sainsbury's shop as the Nectar Swipe And Scan is on -

www.sainsburys.co.uk/swipeandwin

A £30 shop spread over 3 shops and we did give it much thought as to what we needed.

A bit of fuel and that was it.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend
    Last edited by TM6; 02-02-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 3rd Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    You too .... and a frugal one x
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • TM6
    • By TM6 4th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 22
    Fiscal Fast Day 22

Another low spending day

Just a £1 on parking....in St Ives finding free parking is nigh on impossible, we did try!

2 charity shop purchases which I'm very pleased with for a £4 total.

So a fiver for a Saturday - wonderful

Thank you Downshifted for your words of encouragement - it is very much appreciated especially when the going gets tough
    • TM6
    • By TM6 6th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 23
    Fiscal Fast Day 23

What fun we had!!! A mahoosive spending day BUT it felt so good !!!

I've talked about changing our shopping habits and this was borne out by a visit to two different Bookers Wholesalers. I'm self employed and if you are too, I would highly recommend that you consider Bookers.
    When I talk about Bookers, I am particularly talking about their reduced to clear section in each of their departments but particularly their veg, meat and dairy sections.
    As they are wholesalers selling to retailers, when they RTC, there is still an amazing amount of time left on the produce to give the retailers time to sell it on to their customers.
    For example, we bought 4 x 4 litres of milk for £1.50 as well as a box of 50 baking potatoes for £1.50. Unlike the supermarkets where sometimes it is a struggle to get anywhere near the RTCs, there is no hassle at all at Bookers.

So our spend for the 2 different branches was £70 but we have enough fresh food for about three weeks. So although an expensive day in itself including a treat of yummy fish and chips, it is definitely going to save us money over the next few weeks
    • TM6
    • By TM6 6th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 24
    Fiscal Fast Day 24

When we first started this challenge, I really thought it was about saving money but as time goes on I realise that we are making lifestyle changes too. It has given us time to step of the consumer merry go round and reflect on what is really important to us.

We've also been taking stock of what we have in the clothes and shoes department and apart from wedding clothes we do not need to buy anything else this year!

Today's spend was a low spend day, some quorn for my daughter and a fresh pineapple. That's it!
    If only Bookers sold Quorn, we would hardly step in to a supermarket again.

So how is your week going so far?
    Last edited by TM6; 06-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 25
    Fiscal Fast Day 25

A super No Spend Day
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    Well done so far

Yes you do end up with lifestyle changes, don't mean you don't get to have a life though

Last week me and he went out for a two course lunch, then the cinema, with a drink each, total spend was £24

If that had been a weekend night rather then a weekday afternoon, the exact same would have been closer to £60

It's always worth keeping an eye on local restaurants FB pages to see what offers they have on, same for cinema, it's half price for matinees weekdays and all day Tuesday here

And the local council usually have an upcoming events page on their website and so many things are free to do
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • TM6
    • By TM6 8th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 26
    Fiscal Fast Day 26

Well done so far

Yes you do end up with lifestyle changes, don't mean you don't get to have a life though

Last week me and he went out for a two course lunch, then the cinema, with a drink each, total spend was £24

If that had been a weekend night rather then a weekday afternoon, the exact same would have been closer to £60

It's always worth keeping an eye on local restaurants FB pages to see what offers they have on, same for cinema, it's half price for matinees weekdays and all day Tuesday here

And the local council usually have an upcoming events page on their website and so many things are free to do
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Hi Suki1964, what a lovely part of the world you live in.

Great advice and support, thank you.

I must say though because I have been SO frugal on going out so far, it was such a shock yesterday to spend £15.45 on 'ladies who lunch'. I had a lovely catch up with a friend whom I treated but ouch
    With a £1.50 charity shop spend yesterday, that was it

If you are enjoying reading about my challenge, please join in or comment as it really does encourage me to keep my eye on the prize - my trip to New York
    • TM6
    • By TM6 9th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 27
    Fiscal Fast Day 27

Whoop dee do, another NSD
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 9th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    Well done TM6, it!!!8217;s those NSDs that will really make a difference x
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • TM6
    • By TM6 10th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Well done TM6, it!!!8217;s those NSDs that will really make a difference x
    Originally posted by downshifted
    Thank you Downshifted x

NSD are particularly difficult at the moment but you get a fantastic feeling when you do
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 28
    Fiscal Fast Day 28

Like my signature below states, I feel helping others above money and status is SO important so we were delighted to help our friends move house and expected nothing in return.

I was absolutely over the moon when she asked if we knew anyone who would like a 3 drawer freezer (especially as we only have the small ice box at the top of our fridge). We are now the proud owners of a freezer which will help enormously with our fiscal fast.

Just a trip to Bookers but what a shop
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 28......Continued
    Fiscal Fast Day 28
    Continued

For a bit of fun can you guess how much my Booker's shop cost?

Here is what I bought

4 x Kingsmill wholemeal sliced bread
    2 x 1.7kg easy peelers
    1 x 1kg chicken and bacon sandwich filler
    1 x 2ltr The One fresh milk
    1 x 450g own brand of frozen sweetcorn
    1 x 500g own brand of frozen brussel sprouts
    1 x 500g own brand of frozen garden peas

I wonder who will be the closest?
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 29
    Fiscal Fast Day 29

Although I didnít go into a bricks and mortar shop today, I did spend online on Amazon. Something I needed for work and a gift for my gorgeous Granddaughter so Iím happy with that
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Feb 18, 7:21 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 30

As many of you know, we live in a gorgeous part of Cornwall. Many of our tourist attractions offer residents of Cornwall a Local's Pass and yesterday we visited the Seal Sanctuary at Gweek. For £12 per person we get unlimited entry along with 20% off the tea room and gift shop for a year.

So we spent an amazing couple of hours with the gorgeous rescued pups

Also spent £2 on cheese!
    Last edited by TM6; 13-02-2018 at 6:57 AM.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    Sounds like a bargain and what a great day out

Like you we live in a very lovely part of the world and I make the most of it as well. So many people just live in an area and take it all for granted, not really taking the time out to enjoy it

I have been very naughty and have made a big purchase on a whim. Well no not really a whim, something I've wanted for years but have never been able to justify the cost. Then I found it on interest free credit so I went sod it, I'm getting it I'm feeling incredibly guilty but not guilty enough to cancel lol

I too have the big prize ahead, Australia. Not this year, perhaps not next, but I've nearly £2k saved this last year for it, another £4K (at least) to go
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 5,272 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Fiscal Fast Day 23

What fun we had!!! A mahoosive spending day BUT it felt so good !!!

I've talked about changing our shopping habits and this was borne out by a visit to two different Bookers Wholesalers. I'm self employed and if you are too, I would highly recommend that you consider Bookers.
    When I talk about Bookers, I am particularly talking about their reduced to clear section in each of their departments but particularly their veg, meat and dairy sections.
    As they are wholesalers selling to retailers, when they RTC, there is still an amazing amount of time left on the produce to give the retailers time to sell it on to their customers.
    For example, we bought 4 x 4 litres of milk for £1.50 as well as a box of 50 baking potatoes for £1.50. Unlike the supermarkets where sometimes it is a struggle to get anywhere near the RTCs, there is no hassle at all at Bookers.

So our spend for the 2 different branches was £70 but we have enough fresh food for about three weeks. So although an expensive day in itself including a treat of yummy fish and chips, it is definitely going to save us money over the next few weeks
    Originally posted by TM6

Hello TM6.

I only found your thread today but I wish you luck and hope you have a wonderful time in New York. For motivation, how about printing out a calendar and marking off the days?

You've mentioned Booker on a couple of posts. What documentation do you need to become a member? Does your membership expire? Do you have to produce your documentation annually, when renewing your membership? Is there a joining fee? The reason I'm asking all those questions is that I'm currently a contractor, working through my own limited company. However that won't last forever, because I've accepted a job as a staff member at a different company and will be starting in March. If I'm going to join Booker, then I'd better do it soon.

-Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 5,272 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Fiscal Fast Day 28
    Continued

For a bit of fun can you guess how much my Booker's shop cost?

Here is what I bought

4 x Kingsmill wholemeal sliced bread
    2 x 1.7kg easy peelers
    1 x 1kg chicken and bacon sandwich filler
    1 x 2ltr The One fresh milk
    1 x 450g own brand of frozen sweetcorn
    1 x 500g own brand of frozen brussel sprouts
    1 x 500g own brand of frozen garden peas

I wonder who will be the closest?
    Originally posted by TM6

£5! I guess £5!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • TM6
    • By TM6 16th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    TM6
    Hello TM6.

I only found your thread today but I wish you luck and hope you have a wonderful time in New York. For motivation, how about printing out a calendar and marking off the days?

You've mentioned Booker on a couple of posts. What documentation do you need to become a member? Does your membership expire? Do you have to produce your documentation annually, when renewing your membership? Is there a joining fee? The reason I'm asking all those questions is that I'm currently a contractor, working through my own limited company. However that won't last forever, because I've accepted a job as a staff member at a different company and will be starting in March. If I'm going to join Booker, then I'd better do it soon.

-Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Hiya PipneyJane, so pleased you stumbled across my thread

Apologies for the delay in replying but frustratingly real life got in the way this week

Great idea about the calendar idea, I love journaling so I am going to incorporate it into that.

It must be my age but I can't remember what proof of ID you need for Bookers but I definitely think you would qualify

Here is the link - https://www.booker.co.uk/home.aspx

As far as I am aware there is no expiry date, there certainly isn't anything on the card and no we haven't had to produce documentation on a yearly basis.

No joining fee

Go on and join, we love it but we shop very wisely as supermarkets can be cheaper than Bookers but once you get your eye in for a bargain, they are there to be had on RTCs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter