Overpaid standing order - my rights?

Options
Hope someone can help. I set up a standing order two years ago for my little one’s childcare. I reduced his hours a year and a half ago when I reduced my hours at work but I forgot to change my standing order accordingly! (My fault, I know!) I’ve only just realised that I’ve been overpaying for about 18 months and I’ve just notified the childcare provider. I’ve overpaid hundreds of pounds but I’m not sure if I can claim any of this back. Please help!!!

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speak to them and see what they say?
  • Elmo22
    Elmo22 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I’ll speak to them on Monday. I was just wondering if I had any rights?
  • choccielover
    Options
    Paying for vouchers or your actual provider??

Do you not get regular invoices which have shown you in credit all this time?

I’m pretty sure you should be able to stop payments altogether until you run down this “credit” and then start back up again

I’m surprised they haven’t mentioned it to you to be fair

I guess it does also depend on their t&c’s
  • Elmo22
    Options
    It’s a provider - an after school club. They aren’t very up to date with admin to be honest. I feel like such an idiot for not noticing before now but I do find it unusual that they didn’t say anything!
  • Elmo22
    Options
    That’s a good idea about stopping payments - they might let me do this instead of repaying the money. Fingers crossed that they are reasonable!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Your rights? From the bank nil - they have done nothing wrong.
    From the supplier of goods - they have no right to get money off you for goods and services they have not provided.
    If they do not cooperate then the next thing to try will be legal action.
  • Elmo22
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Hopefully they will be reasonable.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Elmo22 wrote: »
    It’s a provider - an after school club. They aren’t very up to date with admin to be honest. I feel like such an idiot for not noticing before now but I do find it unusual that they didn’t say anything!

Perhaps they've overlooked the error too. The change in hours never being recorded properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure