PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had a packet of crisps and a cup of tea today. I was listening to a podcast and forgot to have a proper breakfast.:p

Just finishing off a recipe from the Net - of a sorta fried rice type dish - with a selection of vegetables, marinated portobello mushroom, tofu, rice - topped with scattering of seeds.

It's amazing how much better mushrooms taste after being marinated.:)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just passing by because I'm sure some of you can help...

I cannot eat meat but my OH is a big meaty fan. I usually cook large lumps of meat in the slowcooker which then last him and Pixie (4 y/o daughter) 4-6 meals. I don't seem to be able to make stews or anything though because my SC is too huge... so my question (I got there eventually!!)

Could you please recommend a good smaller slowcooker or even better, one with separate compartments?? So I can cook stews and corned beef hash for my manbeast :D

TIA xx
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 1:06PM
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Welcome to indigowarrior, moneyonmymindsam and pigpen:wave:

indigowarrior - I'd second what bouicca21 said about building up cooking from scratch and it's ideal if you could sometimes for someone else to help with the motivation. Many of us here do a mix of both home cooking and ready meals so hopefully you'll get some ideas from us.

pigpen - what size is you SC? I find 3L is fine for soups/stews (makes about 4 portions). My son was given a 1.5L one when he left home but found it too small to fit a range of ingredients in. You can pop a covered dish in a SC, just sit it on a saucer or trivet and add some water to stop the base cracking and cook as you usually would.:)

No white stuff here apart from some flurries but still baltic and icy underfoot. My son's cul de sac in Cardiff is snowed in again, they seem to get all the drifting but the main roads are ok so he was going to dig his car out so he can get to work tomorrow.

I had hoped my oomph might have reappeared overnight but it's still awol so I've not got much done so far today:). I have popped the gammon joint in the pressure cooker though so that will be cooked soon, just need to think what to have with it tonight now. Eggs some way for lunch I think or maybe some tomato/mushrooms on toast.

PS - Glad you got the MIA onion back Farway, and very MSE that it's still usable:D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mine is a 6.5L so huge... if I make anything like a stew poor OH is left eating it for 3 weeks lol. I wanted to do him a few meals he coupld put in hiw food flask without filling my fridge and freezer for weeks.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • caronc
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    mine is a 6.5L so huge... if I make anything like a stew poor OH is left eating it for 3 weeks lol. I wanted to do him a few meals he coupld put in hiw food flask without filling my fridge and freezer for weeks.
    A cheap 3L could be the way to go then. Mine is a Cookworks one from Argos, Wilco also do a basic one as do Tesco. If you can, get an oval one, they seem to be more versatile:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2018 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Just a word on soda farls now that I have experimented - and eaten the experiment. :D
    A lot of recipes call for buttermilk but I used ordinary milk with some plain yoghurt. The yoghurt was out of date but seemed OK. Some recipes say you can add a bit of lemon if you don't have buttermilk.
    I used a plain cast iron frying pan on top of a hot multifuel stove - seeing as the stove was on anyway. The pan was sprinkled with flour. I thought it would have burnt but it didn't.
    Really soda farls are just soda bread but not done in the oven. This makes economic sense for us singletons - especially if we already have a heat source which is on. Also a darn sight cheaper than speciality breads in supermarkets. :T
  • caronc
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Just a word on soda farls now that I have experimented - and eaten the experiment. :D
    A lot of recipes call for buttermilk but I used ordinary milk with some plain yoghurt. The yoghurt was out of date but seemed OK. Some recipes say you can add a bit of lemon if you don't have buttermilk.
    I used a plain cast iron frying pan on top of a hot multifuel stove - seeing as the stove was on anyway. The pan was sprinkled with flour. I thought it would have burnt but it didn't.
    Really soda farls are just soda bread but not done in the oven. This makes economic sense for us singletons - especially if we already have a heat source which is on. Also a darn sight cheaper than speciality breads in supermarkets. :T
    Soda farls straight off the griddle takes me right back to my Gran's kitchen, they sound gorgeous pineapple:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Lunch for me was the chicken I cooked on Friday .... added some peas as I'd got them.

Still fancy sausage rolls though.

My SC is 3.5L - it's big enough to make 2-4 portions of stuff .... and if you get a smaller one then you're constrained by the number of ingredients you can really fit in it. I got an oval one, "just in case" I ever cooked a chicken or a "leg of" something .... and I've used that additional length to cook my (800g) turkey breast joint on the two last Xmases .... and a smaller (560g) chicken breast joint fits OK too.

With 3.5L you can add your meat and a couple of tins and some veggies without any trouble. A 1-1.5L SC fills up too soon.....
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've made some broccoli soup this morning, which dgson and I had a bit of for lunch.
    It will do around 3 more days I think.
    We also made an all in one sponge to which we added ground ginger and stem ginger, that will be eaten with custard after tea.we may add a blob of jam.:T

It's roast beef for tea that's in the oven, I've taken out some hm roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds, and I've prepped carrots cauli and broccoli, also some home grown parsnips from my sister, I got reminded about my veg steamer from another os post. So the veg are going in there, I will add some new potatoes as well which will then do for tea Monday and Tuesday.

Monday- gfree breaded chicken with patas bravas. (The pots will be chopped into lo spicy pasta sauce) with cheese on top.

Tues- salmon new potatoes and same veg as Sunday.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    A cheap 3L could be the way to go then. Mine is a Cookworks one from Argos, Wilco also do a basic one as do Tesco. If you can, get an oval one, they seem to be more versatile:)

Mine is also a 3L Cookworks oval one. It's about the right size, does as PN says, 2 to 4 portions depending on amount you put in. Enough not to be faced with same old stuff day after day, but enough for a bit left over to freeze or just bung in fridge for a day two

I had a mid morning toast & marmalade, I don't normally eat mid morning but was starving,because I was up early it was lunch time by my tum

Real lunch eventually was cheese & salady sarnie. Toyed with opening tin of chunky soup but that was as far as it went

Dinner will be the Family size chicken / ham & leek pie. I think with steamed frozen mixed veg & some other yet to be decided frozen veg. Plus I'll have 2 the rosti potatoes as part of the 2 for a tenner offer

Snow is thawing now, still bitter in the wind, I'm only looking and not venturing out
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback