Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,414Posts
    • 27,025Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
Page 184
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 10,769 Thanks
    Farway
    Another hotty today, and noted that yesterday's hottest place in UK was just over the water from where I was walking, I "knew" it was hot

Up & about, watered early the into town on the bus, wanted to make sure garage knew about my car & try spare clever key in it, just in case the immobiliser had gone out of sync some how. It hadn't, still a dead car

Seems I hit Asda at right Monday YS time, luckily I had the trolley with me, dinner is now RM cod in parsley sauce, mash & veg. Plus a veggie flatbread for tomorrow, half price. Looks like an oblong pizza to me but what do I know?

Err, and YS crumpets & carrot cake

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie

I may pick some more runners to have with the cod etc, plenty of runners now, glut anytime soon

And, the first tomato is ripening , a Balcony Yellow cherry tom, in wall basket in conservatory. Think it will be a few more days before it is perfect to eat.

I've discovered I have real liking for the dark choc ices I bought last week, good job it is a faff to buy & bring home before they melt
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 64,312 Posts
    • 377,480 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've discovered I have real liking for the dark choc ices I bought last week, good job it is a faff to buy & bring home before they melt
    Originally posted by Farway
    I've been a "fan" of the cheap choc ices for about 5-6 years... last year I switched to the 4ldi ones from Sains (nearer/in there more often). L1dl don't do them ... and this year 4ldi haven't done them. I look every time I go in there.

Another gentrified item.... you can now only buy pricier ones.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 16,621 Posts
    • 45,887 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    On that note - must have a go at making some strawberry cashew nice-cream I've had my eye on. I've had the cashew nuts soaking all day - so time to get frozen strawberries and frozen banana out of freezer for the usual method - ie "Blitz in Vitamix blender".

Lunch was a roll bought whilst "out and about" from a delicatessen. Just had last few slices of sprouted wheat bread I needed to use up quick. Right - must get that nice cream done.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 64,312 Posts
    • 377,480 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had some lurking baked beans in the fridge, so I toasted a couple of bits of bread and poured those over, then topped with cheese.

Not ideal food in this heat, but it did need to be eaten.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I can`t get settled to a half decent breakfast so I am going to have a main meal tomorrow for breakfast, fish, pre-frozen rice and chopped cabbage and a couple of shredded beans and a small courgette. I will get all the veg ready tonight in a pan and keep it in the fridge. Fish will come out the freezer and be wrapped in foil and I will pop the rice in the oven for a few minutes with the fish. Its a pity that fish has such a pervading smell or I would fry it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 64,312 Posts
    • 377,480 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've decided to make a chocolate banana custard tomorrow, as I bought two bananas nearly a week ago and they're looking a little close to the end.... I put the bananas in plain view so I don't forget.

I'll make it first thing and pop it in the fridge to cool... looking forward to that now I've thought of it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Jul 18, 5:39 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    no real meal for breakfast, couldn`t face it. Cheese sandwich was nice and so was the big mug of tea. Up far too early, I was getting hot so had to get up
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 10,769 Thanks
    Farway
    Picked over a kilo of beans last night, way too many for me so I've already reached the "Giving beans away" stage. Gave excess to fellow volunteers this morning. Good deed done

Walked to volunteer job today after a slightly wrinkled peach for breakfast & still no car

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie, and too big a slice of the carrot cake. Good job I walked to work this morning, at least that was a few extra calories used than normal

Much more comfortable heat today, bit of a breeze, sunny and around 75F, nice change from near 90

The heat is really boosting my figs, I'm starting to dream of two crops this year if it continues

Dinner is the veggie flatbread thing, I think I'll have healthy salady
    bits with it, plus unhealthy salad cream and possibly a choc ice later

I've got a galia melon needs using, I really should have that instead of a choc ice
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 27,025 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Overcast & muggy here today and this evening the midges are out in force, the forecast is mixed for the next couple of days so we might get some much needed rain. I noticed today that many of the local gardens and green spaces are looking very frazzled.
    As a thank you for repairing the dodgy joist on my deck I treated my son to a "posh" lunch at the place my elder son & I went to in June- a nice treat for us both and much cheaper than getting someone in to do it . It was glorious and although compared to a "normal" lunch pricey however, for the standard of cooking, location, service etc. I find it really good value for money. The "set lunch" is 25 for 3 courses inc coffee, half decent places locally for the same are 17-20 so not hugely more expensive for a real treat. We both had the same starters and mains of langoustine bisque followed by stone bass. Both were excellent and I'll be having a bash at the bisque sometime when I've folk round. It came with parmesan, spicy orzo "rissotto", a crouton & saffron aioli - it looked and tasted fantastic. It was the first time I'd had stone bass, meatier than sea bass so I'll be keeping an eye out for it as it was lovely. For pud I had a piece of salted carmel tart with spiced ice cream and my son had a carmelised banana with semi frodo and gorgeous peanut brittle. Neither of us could manage the petit fours that came with the coffee so they were boxed and are currently in the fridge.

No dinner needed tonight and I doubt I'll have anything before bedtime. My son is currently away fishing (with gallons of midge spray) and if he is hungry when he comes back there is some LO chicken fajita mix from last night he can have.
    Last edited by caronc; 10-07-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 27,025 Thanks
    caronc
    Blimey it's raining, properly tipping it down. Still very warm though.....
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 10th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Brambling
    Caronc that lunch sound lovely, I think I would have ordered the same I love eating seafood and fish when I'm out, I've never tried stone bass either, will keep an eye out for it

Farway I'm sure when I had an allotment people would start to avoid me after a 'good' runner bean year if they saw me coming with a bag of beans, more than once I posted runner beans and courgettes through a friends' catflap I'm lucky that a couple of my neighbours have allotments so I come home to beans left on the doorstep sometimes more than I need but my sister is happy to share, you can't beat the taste of home grown runner beans and so much smaller, tender and fresher than SM brought ones. Definitely a taste of my childhood although I remember complaining by the end of the season

Weather so much cooler today, still tee shirt weather but breathable. Hopefully a good night sleep tonight and as I haven't needed to drink so much less trips to the loo, the cat as been sleeping on the bathroom floor I'm going to fall over him one night, I can fall over my own feet so I don't need help

Lunch was the last of my crustless quiche with salad, I wasn't that hungry tonight so I've just ate an apple with some blue cheese and crackers, not really cba as I had lamb LO I could have pinged.

Never thought I would say this but I have rain envy Caronc
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jul 18, 5:56 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    black fly are all over my runner beans, no sign of any predators. I never had black fly on runners before. Breakfast is cheese and tomato on a nice sandwich. Lunch a burger and salad. Much of my allotment is dismantled, washed and stashed at homeI shall be leaving most of the rest until autumn. It has been a tiring job
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jul 18, 6:30 AM
    • 64,312 Posts
    • 377,480 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday it was about 77-78 all day.

I made/ate the choc banana custards.... two bananas so I made two and ate it twice. Two hot sausage rolls were also enjoyed. For an evening meal I had two pieces of toast.

Cooler this morning. 66-67F so far. No idea what I'll eat, the final two sausage rolls are bound to be top favourite of the day.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 27,025 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Black fly are decimating some of my nasturiums but thankfully no sign so far of any in the veg plot.
    It rained constantly overnight but is drying up now, it's still very warm and humid. All my plants are looking very fresh & perky. I've lots of dwarf french beans ready so having some tonight with lamb steaks, HM pesto and new potatoes. My basil has gone into overdrive so I'll make a big tub of pesto and freeze the excess in CFO portions. I've no pine nuts so will use walnuts or cashews instead.
    I had the usual toast for breakfast and lunch I think will either be a blt or cheese & salad in a piece of stottie.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 16,621 Posts
    • 45,887 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That reminds me - I must try and figure out suitable organic way of dealing with the fact my apples are being attacked. Farway told me (on another thread) what the problem is, ie codling moth.

I know I've got several apple trees and only me to feed from them - but, by the time the birds have a go at some too and I want loads to store in the freezer - then I do need to deal with that.

Bit cooler here today thankfully - though, with a couple of things having cropped-up unexpectedly, I've not got round to thinking about food yet.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 10,769 Thanks
    Farway
    Cooler this morning, bit cloudy earlier but sun now out

Decide to have a use up breakfast, healthy though. Last wrinkly peach, with sliced banana & 1/4 of my Galia melon, with HM yoghurt & honey. Glowing with goodness

More bean watering after breakfast, and spotted loads more ready. I cut back on number this year, think I'll halve them next year, which no doubt will be cue for a poor bean year in 2019
    I've got some black fly on them, but I organically squish them with my fingers. I also organically squished some cabbage white eggs & caterpillars while I was in genocide mode this morning

The YS veggie flatbread last night was very tasty, not sure I'd rush at "proper price" of 2, but YS 1 is fine. I've got over half left, and thinking of having my runners with the LO cold remains for tonight dinner.

Money, I tend to use most of my apples, I just cut out the manky / grubby bits, stew & freeze those that are not A1 for eating fresh
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 16,621 Posts
    • 45,887 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    cba again time - so "go to" quick/quick stuff. So it was watermelon and then salad with "nice" bread and some home-made hummus. Then fruit with oat "cream" and "choc chips" again.

CBA time again - as I try to figure out what to do re a type of situation I've come across before and I know just how to react - ie "walk" basically sums it up and that's exactly what I would do prior to moving here. But in different context here - t'aint so easy to just "walk" and think "blow it".....much smaller place/and very different...the wine came out as I thought "Just what do I do about this - in this very different context?"

The difference was blindingly obvious/summed-up when I spotted an "ages ages old" thing going on in my home city recently (ie on social media) and no-one paid a blind bit of notice whatsoever - and I certainly never bothered with it at all whilst I was there (was only very vaguely aware about it). In this context - the crowds would be there/loadsa attention/treating it as "important" - and so I look at things like it the once - and then move straight back to normal attitude of not paying a blind bit of notice/don't get what the fuss is about.....

Yep...dinner was based around wine and "much pondering" LOL.

The pondering centres round just how much many of us are products of our environment - even if we don't realise it....iconoclasts 'r us.....LOL - because we've assumed our local norm is the norm.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-07-2018 at 7:09 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jul 18, 7:09 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    codling moth. Thin your apples, best in late june but still time, they need to be about 5" apart. Too many apples= tree stress but apples cheek to cheek with another apple is a sure way to get codling. Grease bands work to an extent, so does clearing below the tree. Attractant traps just attract and you get more. There is nothing organic, except grease bands and thinning

Just so flipping hot constantly, I feel as though I am wasting my day. Runners are not good, blackfly and ants are now making them sticky. Hooray, I spotted a ladybird today. It is the weather and I left the wind net in place so it is cosy for blackfly
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 64,312 Posts
    • 377,480 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Sausage rolls for lunch.
    Toast/beans/cheese for tea.

Nothing else to declare at all.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm happier now there is a breeze, temperature dropped to about 24 today so I can stop moaning at least about the weather

Work is busy and I'll be working on Saturday from home, we usually take turns to work one Saturday every couple of months but staff shortages mean a couple of us are doing one every month we get a day holiday in lieu of working it's just a bit of a pain, but at least I'm not like my colleagues in India where it will be 2 or 3am when we finish.

Lunch was salmon salad and dinner was the last of my LO lamb with braised fennel, new potatoes and veg. Not hungry but I'm sitting here thinking about picking at something, nothing 'naughty ' in the house at the moment and I'm not baking. Just mouth hunger I will win even if I have to fish my knitting out or tape my mouth shut
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

8,141Users online

Martin's Twitter