Multicar Insurance. Scam?

Options
Hi,

Imagine this may have been discussed but couldn’t find anything. I wanted to know how if there is any way I could I take things further with regards to complaining about motor insurance as a whole?

I have two cars. I have 13 years no claims. However I can only use this on one of the cars. Why is this? I created those no claims and I can only drive one car at one time so surely they should be carried between them? My insurance say it’s because you got them on let’s say Car A. Well that’s not true as they have accumulated over years with multiple cars?

Secondly I have 6 points. These were 2 SP30’s so 3 points each and a fine. I have no issues with this. I was speeding albeit on a dual carriageway in an area little could go wrong and picked up by a mobile unit both times but either way accept the penalty.

My issue here is these points carry onto anything I drive so I have to declare them on both cars but I only got them in Car A... surely if you can’t have your no claims between cars why should points be carried?

Basically I feel they make up their rules as they go and due to the fact you have to have insurance we as the consumer have little choice. I think it’s wrong and needs changing unless someone can advise of a logical argument to the above.

So main question is where do I begin?

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As NCD is an insurance industry creation it is entirely up to the insurers to set whatever rules they want. If you don't like the rules your current insurer imposes you are free to go elsewhere. Some insurers will mirror bonus from one policy to a second car or offer named driver NCD to mirror the policy they are named on so worth shopping around and asking the question.

With regard to the speeding offences they do need to be declared on every policy. Insurance is based on risk and a driver who has 2 SP30's is clearly a higher risk than a driver with none. Underwriting view tends to be that a single SP30 does not attract much of an increase because any driver could drift over the limit once and be unlucky enough to get caught, learn their lesson and never speed again. A driver with two or more speeding convictions clearly did not learn anything from the first conviction and is likely to continue driving with a lack of care making them more likely to have an accident so the premium gets loaded to reflect the increased risk.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're not buying the right product. With 13 years no claims you have age on your side, but 6 points shows you are more riskier than others.

At renewal find an Insurer who will mirror your no-claims. Some do. Some don't. For example I'm insured with Axa and every time I buy a car I get mirrored no claims (22 years). Generally I find multi-car policies to be meh with only 5-10% discount. A mirrored no claims policy will give you an instant 60-70% discount.
    The man without a signature.
  • Nick2132
    Options
    Thanks for the response and I fully understand the points. That’s not really my issue. It was more the mirroring the no claims onto either Car. I have shopped around and can’t seem to find anyone who does this?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nod is an entirely voluntary marketing scheme designed by the insurers. Their train set, their rules.

Licence points are a statutory scheme and are attached to the driver, not to the car. They suggest that you're more likely to ignore road rules than if you don't have them, especially having won twice.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Nick2132 wrote: »
    Hi,

Imagine this may have been discussed but couldn’t find anything. I wanted to know how if there is any way I could I take things further with regards to complaining about motor insurance as a whole?

I have two cars. I have 13 years no claims. However I can only use this on one of the cars. Why is this? I created those no claims and I can only drive one car at one time so surely they should be carried between them? My insurance say it’s because you got them on let’s say Car A. Well that’s not true as they have accumulated over years with multiple cars?

Secondly I have 6 points. These were 2 SP30’s so 3 points each and a fine. I have no issues with this. I was speeding albeit on a dual carriageway in an area little could go wrong and picked up by a mobile unit both times but either way accept the penalty.

My issue here is these points carry onto anything I drive so I have to declare them on both cars but I only got them in Car A... surely if you can’t have your no claims between cars why should points be carried?

Basically I feel they make up their rules as they go and due to the fact you have to have insurance we as the consumer have little choice. I think it’s wrong and needs changing unless someone can advise of a logical argument to the above.

So main question is where do I begin?

Thanks

Nick

Nice try Nick.

Next time come back with something serious.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Nick2132 trying to change the motor insurance industry one troll post at a time.
  • Nick2132
    Options
    How is it fair? I’m confused. I just want to be able to use multiple cars with the same amount of no claims. I don’t see why I need to accumulate no claims on multiple policies. I would fully expect to lose them should I crash unlike what DebtDebt alluded to and decided I was an idiot. The points situation was merely an example of how on one hand it’s the person but NCD is the Car which I don’t think is fair
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    How is it fair? I’m confused. I just want to be able to use multiple cars with the same amount of no claims. I don’t see why I need to accumulate no claims on multiple policies. I would fully expect to lose them should I crash unlike what DebtDebt alluded to and decided I was an idiot. The points situation was merely an example of how on one hand it’s the person but NCD is the Car which I don’t think is fair

With six points you pose a greater risk regardless of the no claims status.
  • Nick2132
    Options
    Fully get that. Again not what I’m disputing. I only used the points as a comparison. I have 2 cars I drive regularly. I have 13 years NCD on one and 1 NCD on the other. All I’m saying is I think my 13 years NCD should carry over to either Car as I can only drive one at a time
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Fully get that. Again not what I’m disputing. I only used the points as a comparison. I have 2 cars I drive regularly. I have 13 years NCD on one and 1 NCD on the other. All I’m saying is I think my 13 years NCD should carry over to either Car as I can only drive one at a time

But you have x number of years driving experience on both cars. Odds are the policy wouldn’t be much cheaper with the no claims bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure