Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jan 18, 6:11 AM
    • 1,443Posts
    • 15,378Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th January 2018
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:11 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th January 2018 13th Jan 18 at 6:11 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 13-01-2018 at 6:48 AM.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jan 18, 6:13 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 15,378 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:13 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:13 AM
    Morning everyone

I want to go out to the supermarket for a few things this morning now that Iím feeling much better, and I have an order to collect from M&S. Like Nelski, most of it will probably go back but there may be a couple of things in there that I will keep.

Having got up really early to get my niece up yesterday I ended up spending a lot of the afternoon sleeping. Ironically, now I donít have to be up early Iíve gone back to not being able to sleep again.

Iíve had an invite to a wedding in April. The only problem is that it is in India. I would love to go but I canít afford to travel to India for a wedding. They are going to have a wedding/blessing here as well, so I will be able to go to that.

I want to catch up on some much neglected housework today. Iím aiming to do an in depth clean of the kitchen today and the bathroom tomorrow.

Other than that, I donít have any plans for the day.

Take care everyone.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 13th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 27,881 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. And snap! Like you when I could have a lie in (ie no DGDs to get up for school) I had been clockwatching since 5.00 and got up at 6.00!

We have a drab and miserable forecast for today but no rain, so can't have everything! I want to get the bus into town this morning for a quick foray into M * S. My current Sparks offer is 20% off frozen fish so I want to stock up again. It's good timing as I think I just have one piece left! I must have a freezer tidy first though or I'll never get it in. I keep tidying it out and it keeps getting messed up again! Oh that must be me then as Mr TA knows not to rummage!

I got broken off the Friday Tidy yesterday with the arrival of DS. Fortunately the kitchen had at last been cleaned before he appeared! Sadly it's now the turn of the bathroom as I CBA doing that by the time he left!

Not given a though to today's menu yet so I will see what catches my eye when I do the freezer tidy.

Have a good day all if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, the carers, the sad and worried among us. Thinking of you and your family JACKIE after Frank's passing. KARCHER how are you? Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 42,538 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, I'll be going for a leisurely shower then some brekkie shortly.

Boys still in their pits, will leave them there for a lie-in - none of us are still sleeping properly and haven't done for the past 2 weeks, hoping we'll be able to get back to some sort of normality soon. In real terms our normal is not going to be like it was.

Dinner last night was HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, mash, peas and gravy - as usual no leftovers. Tonight will be hot chicken and salad rolls with sides of chips, coleslaw, pork pie etc - some picky bits for a change, also not too much work after coming back from hospital.

Had a reasonable hospital visit with DS2 yesterday, she was more with it, but was talking nonsense some of the time. It's possible that the stroke has excelerated the dimentia - as I was going through some old photos with mum yesterday and she was reeling off who all the people were, but couldn't remember what she'd had for breakfast and kept asking what I'd given DH for his lunch, I'd said numerous times he'd had a packed lunch of sandwiches etc as he was at work but 5 mins later she'd ask again. DS2 is coming with me today as he hasn't visited since last week.

Yesterday I did get done what I wanted too, I managed to get the ironing done when I got back from shopping, and got the dinner prepped so there wasn't too much to do when I got back. This morning I'll be heading into town to visit the building society, then hospital visit this afternoon with DS1.

Last night after we'd eaten dinner and we were settling down to watch some tv, we had a power cut, so we were hunting about for candles and torches - all the menfolk in horror of "what are we going to do now" I was laughing and said " we might have to talk to each other" - power was back on in 5 minutes so no major issue - but I wouldn't have been happy if I'd still be cooking the dinner and my pie had been ruined - luckily it was all eaten by then.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x

Just to add - JackieO - so sorry to read of Frank's passing but at least he's out of pain, thinking of Margaret and all his family and friends, sleep peacefully Frank x
    Last edited by nmlc; 13-01-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 46,735 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    Morning All

Not quite as chilly this morning but rain due this afternoon. Bed stripped and may hang the bedding out for a while this morning, at least it will smell fresh.

I'm going swimming this morning then the boxercise class, I may just have to lie down this afternoon! I'll deliver DD a hoover on my way out, theirs has died but I had hers from her flat in the loft so no expense for her this time.

Hope you managed to sleep JackieO, you're a good friend to Margaret.
    Hope there's an improvement in your DM nmlc.
    Sounds like you are on the mend Holly and TA, don't do too much too soon.

Have a good weekend, take care. XX
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jan 18, 8:09 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,853 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:09 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:09 AM
    JackieO I am sorry to read about Frank's passing. My thoughts are with Margaret and your family.
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 13-01-2018 at 8:12 AM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    • 6,479 Posts
    • 41,220 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    Morning folks.

Damp and dull here though not freezing.

After going through some of DMs jewellery yesterday morning she moved on to telling me about some of her knick-knacks and what to do with each Ďafter Iím goneí. The upside is that I am beginning to learn which pieces are precious to her even though they have no monetary value. The process isnít as depressing as I thought it would be.

This morning is shopping. DN isnít going as she wants to avoid people and so, hopefully, the flying flu virus. Think sheís wise. Once Iíve been Iíll be heading home. Iíve got some bits and pieces to Ďcomment oní and get back to students before Monday to help them finish off.

Thinking of all my chums here who are struggling. Happy Saturday.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    Morning all. Doesn't look too bad outside, don't know what the temp is though.

I went to Morries yesterday, it was packed, everyone must have been replenishing stocks after Christmas like I was.
    We are going to an informal family birthday do tomorrow lunchtime at Ds's, and I'm going to make some food to take with us, everyone is taking a bit of something, so I'll crack into that once I've got myself pulled together.

I'll try and fit in a library visit as well. i was going to go yesterday for a friend, but she decided her daughter could do it, so I didn't go.

I was strangely tired yesterday afternoon, considering I'd slept well (by my standards) the night before, and hadn't got up at silly o' clock. Was dozing on the sofa in the late afternoon, usually I would be doing a few jobs in the house
    Despite all my fine words previously about not letting the ironing build up, would you believe it, I've let the ironing build up. I feel like chucking it all in the bin, but better not.

Well, hope everyone has a reasonable day. Thoughts go to the poorly, sad and worried, take care folks.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 30,489 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    Good morning all,

Thinking of Jackie and family this morning. Sending love and strength to Margaret.

Today I will be taking a short trip out for some bread for the HT (the loaves in the supermarket were dated either the same day or the day after when I went shopping on Wednesday). The HT also needs a haircut so hopefully the two can be combined.

Take care all of you
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 41,233 Thanks
    Floss
    JackieO thinking of you & yours xx

Karcher

Not much going on here - Blackpool is grey & cloudy so I think I will stay home and sort out my hobby roon as its tio untidy to do anything in

DH is planning to brew one of his beers, then his big brother is coming up to stay as they are off for a hospitality day at Anfield tomorrow as a belated 60th for BiL. I get a DH free day
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 13th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning everyone.

JackieO I wasn't here last night so have just learnt of Frank's death this morning. You and your family are in my thoughts. It is very inspiring to see how your family supports each other.

I have just slept for 9 hours, with a loo break at 2.30. I went to bed to read at 9, couldn't concentrate and put the light out at 9.30. I haven't slept as long in many years. I have woken up with a stuffy nose and am a bit sneezy, there has to be a moral in there somewhere but I don't know what it is.

I did quite an efficient Friday Tidy and lots of washing, nowhere near through the laundry though. So there is another load on the go now.

I need new work shoes but may be able to leave this until Monday. My old onest have holes in the soles, both pairs so am wearing non work ones which are less comfortable. The old onest are not mendable.

I don't have plans today, at least nothing interesting, OH will do the big shopping and he cooks on Saturdays so I am able to please myself.

Hollyharvey was it you having difficulty with the site kicking you out of threads and telling you that you did not have permission to view? This has happened to me all week, I thought I must be doing something wrong.

Thinking of those who are sad, unwell or weary today, and so many of us are.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 15,378 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey was it you having difficulty with the site kicking you out of threads and telling you that you did not have permission to view? This has happened to me all week, I thought I must be doing something wrong.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    Yes it is me. It keeps kicking me out when I try to like a post. If I post it says that I have made a duplicate post within the past 5 minutes and kicks me out. Sometimes when I click on a thread it tells me that I don't have permission to access it, it has done it with this thread a number of times. I have posted on the site feedback forum. A few other people seem to be having problems as well.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 41,233 Thanks
    Floss
    AOD & Holly i reported this yesterday and am still waiting for a response...
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 26,372 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning all,

Have a real fit of the blues at the moment, the weather isn't helping as it seems to be wall to wall greyness every day, oh for some bright sunshine, don't care how cold it is!
    Sleep is evading me too, was up at 6am to get to the yard so will now have a warm bath and maybe go back to bed for a while.

Have a good day folks x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 46,261 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to those in need.

The fire had gone out by the time got up, I've relit it so hopefully the boat will warm up soon.

Our neighbours have gone, they have moved on to the cut, roll on the new engine being fitted and we can do the same.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 16,240 Posts
    • 71,101 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Couldnt understand why my finger wasnt getting any better till I took a closer look. I saw a glint of something that shouldnt be there. I got the tweezers and pulled a slither of metal out....Blasted paint coated cheap knives..never again. Its now in its protective sleeve and in the bin.

Was awake most of the night coughing me guts up and searching google for home made remedies for being bunged up.

As you can imagine, im not at my best today. Only got shopping and feeding the men to do. Neither of them seem concerned that I might pass on what ive got. Serve them right if I do. Still, I could just refuse and cope with the splatters of fat all over the cooker or demand they clean it up and risk another argument.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 93,258 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Jackie O so sorry to hear of Frank's passing but glad he is out of pain now, sending love to you all xx

Got a load in the wm which can be hung out for a while today and I will put a towel load in later on, OH is bottling the beer brew kit he got for his birthday and which has been bubbling away since xmas.

I need to have a quick tidy round this morning and then a run out to Aldi and get some shopping in for the week. I also need to get some painters mate to go round the top of the skirting. OH is also going to finish the sockets in the kitchen.

Will get dinner for tonight in Aldi I might get one of there coated chickens and have it with some chips.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 20,496 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Jackie, sad to hear that Frank passed away but that his passing was peaceful with his wife and daughter there. No more pain for him. My prayers are with his family and especially with Margaret as she copes with life without him.

OH spent a very mixed and miserable day yesterday, dizzy and nauseous but the problem from the day before has partially resolved so thats something. I did manage to get him into the shower last night. Went to bed myself and was so exhausted I put the light out just after 10pm, woke a couple of times during the night but managed to get back to sleep.

Judi.... I have no help with OH, manage on my own. His son rarely calls and to be honest he is too involved with his latest lady friend.

My youngest daughter who lives in the town gives me what help she can, but works, she does not drive and our village is not the easiest place to get to at the best of times. My eldest daughter also works, looks after her grandson part time now his Mum has had to go back to work and also cares for her father, she has her hands full. Our travelling preacher friends have been very good, J will shop for me and I know if I need them to they will come and sit with OH if I have to go out for any length of time.

I am so thankful I bought the new dryer before Christmas it has been a godsend with so much laundry to do. I washed the towels this morning and they are airing off now. Apart from keeping the kitchen and wet room clean I do very little else, the cleaners are due again this coming Friday. I do cook from scratch each day, or rake out something I have previously cooked from the freezer. Today we are having casserole chicken with rice. I will cook all the chicken and then freeze half of it against another supper. I really need to go through the kitchen freezer and sort out the drawers, they are very untidy, I have been rummaging for things and not put the drawers back tidy.

OH is asleep, waiting for him to wake and see about getting up for an hour or so this morning. I need to dry the breakfast pots and put them away, then its cuppa and feet up time.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 12,452 Posts
    • 40,123 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning campers

Guess I'm due a late mark against my name today I was up about 7.30 but time just ran away with me. Have done my befriending call and been searching for the best deal for a mobile for mum. She has decided she wants one in her own words "because everyone else has one other than me" and remind me how old we are again ...baby sees baby wants Anyway Im using the opportunity to get her a Doro phone which is designed for oldies for ease of use. It has an emergency button so if I can get her in the habit of carrying it around then if anything was to happen she can easily call me or the emergency services.The first challenge will be training her to use it ...despite training being my job I just know this will be the toughest delegate ever

Last night I had a freezer use up of a meat and potato pie with some chips and beans Tonight I am doing a new to me recipe of Lamb tandoori with chapatis, raita and cabbage slaw.Going to make the paste soon and let it marinade all day.

ordered a van delivery for today...first one of the year. I did have to add a few bits to make up the delivery min but I didn't get anything I wont use and today I want to stay in my scruffs and keep on with the house blitz.

Right time to crack on have a good day all
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 16,240 Posts
    • 71,101 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi.... I have no help with OH, manage on my own. His son rarely calls and to be honest he is too involved with his latest lady friend.
    What a selfish pig of a man your OH has of a Son Has he never heard the phrase 'many hands make light work?' Thank goodness you have a little help from the people closest to you though you could do with more....Still, physical help we cant give you but online support we can give you by the bucket loads here on this thread.

Many hugs.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,535Users online

Martin's Twitter