Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 12th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 11,000Posts
    • 23,626Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Hospital Parking Charges - Scandalous!!!!
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    Hospital Parking Charges - Scandalous!!!! 12th Jan 18 at 8:01 PM
    I just have to vent about this.

It is cheaper to park to go shopping than it is to visit a sick relative or attend an appointment in hospital.

My brother has been in hospital for seven weeks now. He has now been moved and the car park charges are even higher than the last one.

My SIL is already worried about their finances and tying to save money wherever she can. She was with him most of the day while he was settled into the new hospital. It cost her 10 in the car park. Even just two hours is 3 while it is 90p to park in the town centre to go shopping.

She is trying to hold down her job and spend as much time with him as she can and is under a great deal of stress.At this rate she may well end up in there as well.

She is having to park away from the hospital and walk over 20 mins each way.

This is so so wrong.
Page 1
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    Yeah, hospital parking is expensive. I go to hospital quite regularly and have to travel over 90 miles each way and pay for parking too. It's expensive being ill.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 12th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    It's expensive, but it's an income stream for an already underfunded hospital. Think of it as a donation in exchange for your brother's care and it becomes a little more palatable
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 20,481 Posts
    • 232,824 Thanks
    Valli
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    some hospitals (ie ones I have been to, can't speak for all) have long term/free tickets available for the next of kin of long term patients
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 12th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    Have they asked about any long term relative discounts? When my MIL was in hospital for 10 weeks we were able to pay a small one-off payment which enabled us to use the car parking without any additional charge. We just got our parking ticket validated at reception after each visit. I'm not sure if it was because she was in critical care, or just a general offering.

Our hospital charges are higher than 10/day, so would have cost our family a fortune over the 10 weeks. I don't agree with hospitals charging at all - here we don't have good bus services, so there aren't really any alternatives. And even if I did want to get the one bus a day, it would cost me more than driving and parking.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 12th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 30,460 Thanks
    Ames
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    Is there anywhere off site you could park? If there's somewhere with free parking even if it means a short bus journey it'll be a lot cheaper.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Jan 18, 2:22 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    fred246
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:22 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:22 AM
    I bought a folding bike for 50 off gumtree. Great for hospital visiting. Hospitals have yellow lines for a mile or so round. Just park where you can and then bike and leave it at hospital entrance.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Jan 18, 7:04 AM
    • 10,807 Posts
    • 5,552 Thanks
    deanos
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:04 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:04 AM
    Our local one costs 15 for a 10 day pass, quite reasonable , have you checked if your hospital does the same ?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 20,326 Posts
    • 16,083 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    3 for 2 hours is pretty cheap, it's 4.30 for 1-3 hours at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. But this is hardly a new issue, it's been in the news for years now. In Scotland nearly all hospital parking charges were scrapped in 2008 so it's been an issue for at least 10 years.

PS Hope your brother is making good progress.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    giraffe69
    No charge in many areas will lead to spaces being used by commuters. Very high charges and no discount for regulars may be wrong but a basic charge is not scandalous.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,576 Thanks
    sheramber
    Hospital car parking fees were abolished in Scotland in 2008.

However, Ninewells, Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh still charge as they are signed up to private contracts to manage their parking facilities.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 23,626 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    It's expensive, but it's an income stream for an already underfunded hospital. Think of it as a donation in exchange for your brother's care and it becomes a little more palatable
    Originally posted by SuperHan

No not one penny goes to the hospital.

It pays for the running of the car park only. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 23,626 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    No charge in many areas will lead to spaces being used by commuters. Very high charges and no discount for regulars may be wrong but a basic charge is not scandalous.
    Originally posted by giraffe69

This hospital is outside of the town.

It used to be 1 and there was never a problem parking there before but they recently spent 8 million doing it up.

I still think it is wrong that it is cheaper to park to go shopping than go to a hospital.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 23,626 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Our local one costs 15 for a 10 day pass, quite reasonable , have you checked if your hospital does the same ?
    Originally posted by deanos
    She was very upset as even though the staff signed the forms for her because the seven weeks were at another hospital she has to wait until he has been in this hospital for two weeks and then she can get a four week only pass for a discount. She said they were very rude to her as well.

IMO she should not be having to faff about like this when her husband is so ill.

It is costing us all a lot of money as we are visiting as much as we can but it is her I am concerned about.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The annoying thing at my nearest hospital is having to pay in advance. If you are going to outpatients, you never know how long you are going to be there. I always end up overpaying. They really should have ANPR and allow you to pay when leaving for the time you have actually been on site.

There should also be a cap on charges.

Two to three hours parking at my local cinema costs 2. You pay when you leave. You only pay for your time on site.

Two to three hours at my local hospital costs 4.50. You pay on arrival. You have no idea how much time you will need so pay too much.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 23,626 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Is there anywhere off site you could park? If there's somewhere with free parking even if it means a short bus journey it'll be a lot cheaper.
    Originally posted by Ames

Yes she is parking up in a side street and walking about 20mins each way.

Quicker than waiting for a bus around here I expect!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 11,093 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    neilmcl
    No not one penny goes to the hospital.

It pays for the running of the car park only. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Can you provide evidence of this?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Can you provide evidence of this?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Doesn't answer your question, as I don't know which hospital PoppyOscar used, but most NHS trusts make a profit on car parking although some make a loss.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01913/Hospital_parking_c_1913078a.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVhZa0q dXYAhUJBMAKHaKWDLsQFjAIegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Xw6A0pI MQfElqZZvXMWjC
    Last edited by Nick_C; 13-01-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 11,093 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Exactly my point. Most parking charges produces a profit for the hospital and therefore would go back into their funds.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 13-01-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 11,093 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Good to know that you already had that knowledge, but I thought providing some facts for anyone reading the thread would help inform the debate.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Sorry, I misunderstood the meaning from your post, I've updated mine above to reflect that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,427Users online

Martin's Twitter