Nest thermostat - settings on boiler

Hi

I am getting a nest thermostat 3rd gen installed. I have an ideal exclusive 24 boiler and from what i understand its just modular and not opentherm in terms of the temperature control. is this correct?

If it is true then the boiler will not auto adjust the power for the central heating (CH) and so if the thermostat decides to turn on the CH, the energy used to heat the water would depend on what i have manually set the power/temperature control knob.

What is the best most efficient power setting to have on the knob AT ALL TIMES? There is an "e" i can turn the dial to, apprently this is where the boiler uses the hot steam to also heat the water so making it more efficient. Is this the best setting?

How does the thermostat work, does it turn on if the temp goes below a range? in which case it doesnt keep turning on and off frequently? what range should this be to be most comfortable and most efficient?

thanks

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    When you need heating the stat should be set at around 21-23 degrees for comfort. When the heating is off it should be around 10 degrees to stop it freezing. This can be set so it never falls below this. The manual will tell you how to set it. There are also lots of guides and videos on the net.

For the hot water just turn the dial to the middle and use trial and error to find the temp either way.

I would just stick it in the middle and use the tap to regulate the temp of the water, the higher the flow rate the cooler the water and vice versa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure