Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Oliver
    • By MSE Oliver 12th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 11Thanks
    MSE Oliver
    In many cases buying fruit & veg in plastic packaging is cheaper than the same loose
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    In many cases buying fruit & veg in plastic packaging is cheaper than the same loose 12th Jan 18 at 11:54 AM

This is the MoneySavingExpert discussion for our investigation revealing that in many cases buying fruit & veg in plastic packaging is cheaper than the same produce loose. Read the blog first then click "reply" below to discuss it.

Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 13th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    Supermarkets already do offer a variety of different apples loose. The suppliers stick little labels on the apples in the factory, saying what they are.

As to stocking the shelves, that's easy. The produce arrives in big plastic boxes. Just drop the entire box onto the shelf and take the top wrapper off.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I haven't seen apples like that at my local stores. Only the cooking apples are sold loose. But I like cooking apples anyway, eat them like eating apples! So my apples are bought loose.

Using boxes, I suppose you mean like the bananas comes in? That sounds reasonable. Currently, I believe those are single use card boxes, so not sure how that would even out against alternatives. Reusable boxes could work though.

Personally, I tend to shop little and often, so buy a lot of the loose things like sweet potatoes, onions, carrots at the supermarket so I can buy just what I need, and I shop a lot at the market which uses less packaging. I buy a mix of packaged and unpackaged fruit and vegetables. Still, we eat lots of vegetables and fruit, and it's a minor waste stream from our house. I mean nationally, it must add up, but individually, pretty small. When I started focusing on waste reduction, I tried various things, but didn't find fruit and vegetable packaging was somewhere that made much difference. Cutting back on glass, tin cans and to a lesser extent plastic bottles (bulky, but very light) did more good.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 16th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 9,052 Posts
    • 21,859 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I have a local greengrocer that does a potato sack delivery once a week. I got a huge sack of potatoes delivered to my doorstep last week for under 7. For a family of four including two growing kids it's perfect
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter