PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Adding a new tenant?

Options
Our tenants want to bring an elderly relative to live with them. We are in fine with this but wonder if we should draw up a new tenancy agreement. Their son who is in his thirties, also lives with them but moved in two years after the agreement was drawn up, should he also be added to a tenancy agreement. The tenants have been in the property since 2001.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why? Your tenant can have anyone they like living there. It's none of your concern.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Why? Your tenant can have anyone they like living there. It's none of your concern.
    - many tenancies - probably most private ones - have clauses requiring approval or permission for extra occupants.

Don't "add to tenancy", draw up a new one if you want to go that way.

Advantages: More people to sue if rent not paid.
    Disadvantages (loads more paperwork - EPC, GSC, "How to rent", "right to rent" checks, check-in&out, inventory, return deposit, take new deposit etc etc).

My advice? Do nothing, other than agree to extra occupants. You've checked it won;t be overcrowded ? (Criminal offence for landlords)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Either

1) a brand new tenancy agreement with new names.
    * retake and reregister the deposit
    * redo inventory
    * re-issue EPC, GSR, Gov leaflet etc

or

2) Execute a Deed of Assignment, adding the new name to the existing tenancy agreement
  • Comms69
    Options
    - many tenancies - probably most private ones - have clauses requiring approval or permission for extra occupants.

Don't "add to tenancy", draw up a new one if you want to go that way.

Advantages: More people to sue if rent not paid.
    Disadvantages (loads more paperwork - EPC, GSC, "How to rent", "right to rent" checks, check-in&out, inventory, return deposit, take new deposit etc etc).

My advice? Do nothing, other than agree to extra occupants. You've checked it won;t be overcrowded ? (Criminal offence for landlords)

I agree they do, but would one (I know you probably wouldn't) evict the tenant because they've let mum/dad, son/daughter move in?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,605 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I agree they do, but would one (I know you probably wouldn't) evict the tenant because they've let mum/dad, son/daughter move in?
    I wouldn't, no, not if the normal conditions are met (i.e. rent paid in-full & on-time, place looked after, occupants get on OK with neighbours & landlord). And not statutorily overcrowded.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/overcrowding

But as it happens I have a current case. Single tenant moved in late last summer, passed letting agents checks, fine. But 3 days before move-in {I think they always planned this...} asked if they could have a small pet. I said OK as previous 3-year tenants had had pet & carpets weren't new. Couple of months later they asked if they could have another pet. I never gave an answer. Then a month or so later could spouse & 3 dogs come also (small 2-bed house). Agent went round to have a look and it turned out there were also 3 kids, one over 10 (ie needs own room...so would be statutorily overcrowded). Currently it appears tenant says they are on their own only with one pet and planning to move out soon: If nowt happens soon I'll be serving notices. Yes, bit of a b*st*rd me. But I don't want to risk getting a criminal record & fined for overcrowding.
  • Comms69
    edited 11 January 2018 at 6:32PM
    Options
    I wouldn't, no, not if the normal conditions are met (i.e. rent paid in-full & on-time, place looked after, occupants get on OK with neighbours & landlord). And not statutorily overcrowded.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/overcrowding

But as it happens I have a current case. Single tenant moved in late last summer, passed letting agents checks, fine. But 3 days before move-in {I think they always planned this...} asked if they could have a small pet. I said OK as previous 3-year tenants had had pet & carpets weren't new. Couple of months later they asked if they could have another pet. I never gave an answer. Then a month or so later could spouse & 3 dogs come also (small 2-bed house). Agent went round to have a look and it turned out there were also 3 kids, one over 10 (ie needs own room...so would be statutorily overcrowded). Currently it appears tenant says they are on their own only with one pet and planning to move out soon: If nowt happens soon I'll be serving notices. Yes, bit of a b*st*rd me. But I don't want to risk getting a criminal record & fined for overcrowding.

Yes that's fair enough! And a bit of a micky take in a small 2 bed!

Out of curiosity what are the stat regulations for kids - I was under the impression age was only an issue when gender's were mixed?

edit just read and it's as I suspected. - read before posting! :)

I think you would be fine.

2 beds + living room.
    2 adults + 3 children (one over 10)
  • anitairene
    Options
    A big thank you to all who replied to my question. We didn't want to stop our tenants bringing an elderly relative to live with tbem we just wanted to make sure that we were not doing anything wrong by not adding them to an agreement.
  • anitairene
    Options
    Thank you that's what we thought.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 3:18PM
    Options
    We had this. Tenant moves in after seperating from wife. Needs three beds because children stay at weekend. After one month tenant says mother is ill and is moving out to look after her but asks if wife and children can move in to look after the property. We say yes because after all she is still his wife. (As in Artfullodger we think they always planned this) Wife doesn't work tries to claim housing benefit but is not on the tenancy agreement. We are left with the tenant having left the property and someone else not a tenant living in the property.

All I will say is be careful. Some tenants are not always going to do what they say they are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure