Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harpo1
    • By harpo1 11th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 69Thanks
    harpo1
    Canadian shares - Need broker
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    Canadian shares - Need broker 11th Jan 18 at 1:11 PM
    I have invested in the Bombardier company share schemes for many years. It was pretty good, got 1 free share for every 5 bought. However I am now being made redundant an the share scheme which is Canadian will be closed to me. Currently in Computershare accounts Because the $ rate is so poor I dont want to sell yet , but I dont know how to go forward. I will have 21 days to get a broker who can deal with Canadian shares and whose fees are reasonable. Any recommendations?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 8,027 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    If they're currently held by Computershare in Canada, can't you just leave them there?
    • donglemouse
    • By donglemouse 11th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    donglemouse
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    you might want to check if as part of the redundancy process/package there isn't some facility being made available (possibly shortly after you leave) whereby those who don't want to retain the shares can sell via the trustee who manages the share scheme

not sure it's always the case but often in these circumstances you are given a period of say 21 days after leaving to either opt to sell [they do it for you on a given date and send a cheque thereafter] or hold in which case you they put into some sort of broker account then you are own your own
    • harpo1
    • By harpo1 11th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    harpo1
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    " You have xx days to sell your shares or transfer them to a broker. If no decision is made .. a share certificate will be issued and mailed to you. You will be resposnible for sourcing a UK broker that is able to deal in Canadian shares. " So no it doesnt seem likely that I can leave the shares in the Computershare employee account.
    If you can advise ref a broker who can deal with this at a reasonable price I would appreciate it
    • donglemouse
    • By donglemouse 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    donglemouse
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    it sounds like you will be posted a paper certificate so you could just retain that until you want to sell then find a broker at that time

you just need to ensure you don't lose the certificate as that's will be a royal pain in the backside (in that case you would have to contact the registrar for a replacement and likely pay some various costs)

sorry i don't have any specific experience of selling canadian shares when you hold a paper certificate so can't suggest anything for brokers other than possibly contacting some larger ones come the time such as Charles Stanley and asking if they will a) do it and b) all the costs concerned
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

6,525Users online

Martin's Twitter