Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojo1980
    • By Jojo1980 11th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jojo1980
    Compensation for time and inconvenience
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    Compensation for time and inconvenience 11th Jan 18 at 11:34 AM
    The week before Christmas a pipe under the main road by our house burst and the first we knew of it was when we had 4ft of water in our cellar and utility and kitchen floor flooded. Yorkshire Water came out closed the road and repaired the break. They then sent their agents in to dry the house out and rip the flooring up. They have now agreed to replace the flooring and make good. The query is they say we can claim for inconvenience and time, we had inadequate unhygienic flooring for nearly a month in our kitchen so couldn't entertain. How much is a reasonable amount for time and time taken off work to let trademan in? I have no idea and can find nothing on the web. Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8,098 Posts
    • 7,320 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    You wont find anything on the web as there isn't anything.

You need to show losses (eg unpaid time off work) plus a sum for 'inconvenience'. And that is based on a length of string!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 29th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    societys child
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    so couldn't entertain
    That gotta be worth £illions in compo.

• shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 2nd Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    You can claim £90 for every evening that you're unable to entertain because of unhygienic flooring. You get double if entertaining is an essential part of your job.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 4th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    I think I'd just be grateful that the flood was caused by a burst mains rather than within my boundary. Inconvenience - after what others have suffered in the last week I'd be grateful too that I only had to re-arrange my entertaining.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,848Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter