Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • monkeemadness
    • By monkeemadness 10th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    monkeemadness
    Savings/Current account spreadsheet
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    Savings/Current account spreadsheet 10th Jan 18 at 3:32 PM
    Hi,

I'm planning over opening as many current account and regular savers as I can. Many of these require minimum transfers per month and direct debits. Are they any known spreadsheets online to manage this cashflow?
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,205 Posts
    • 13,872 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    I'm planning over opening as many current account and regular savers as I can. Many of these require minimum transfers per month and direct debits. Are they any known spreadsheets online to manage this cashflow?
    Originally posted by monkeemadness
    Firstly, try to automate as many of the transfers as you can using standing orders.

I use a simple spreadsheet - the first column lists the accounts, the second column lists the day of the month a transfer needs to be made (if not the 1st), the third column lists the maturity date of the account. In the next column (headed with the month/year) I record (on each row, as the transfers are done) the date the payment into each account has been made.

Any gaps in this fifth column means a payment hasn't been made yet. At the end of the month I check to make sure all the rows in the fifth column have been filled. At the start of the next month I add a new column between columns 4 and 5, which adds a new 'column 5' - data for all previous months is still there, it just moves to the right by one column each time a new month is added.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 10th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    I would also suggest a 'map' pictorially identifying flows indicating where & how much money is going from and going to.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    I just have post its on my laptop - widgets not actual post its, and I put how much is needed to be funded in which account, and I check back to this when I make my monthly payments, I also have the same for my DD so I can see at a glance when the next DD is due out and of which account.

I budget using YNAB and have been doing so for three years and works well for me.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TheTracker
    • By TheTracker 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    TheTracker
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    I would also suggest a 'map' pictorially identifying flows indicating where & how much money is going from and going to.
    Originally posted by enjoyyourshoes
    This is also how I manage it. An A4 sheet. A box per account that has the bank name and sort/account numbers. Arrows to show flows. Annotations on each flow to show the amount and day (eg '1000, 4th' or '500, 4wk'). I add and colour 'scooper' standing orders that collect and funnel interest to collector accounts. An highlighted Direct Debit flows. I can't imagine doing all that transparently without a visual method. I do have it modelled inside a money management app (glorified spreadsheet) so I can reconcile, but thats rather opaque at a glance.
    • monkeemadness
    • By monkeemadness 11th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    monkeemadness
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    Many thanks for all your replies. I'll see what I can come up with
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,599Posts Today

7,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin