Savings/Current account spreadsheet

Hi,

I'm planning over opening as many current account and regular savers as I can. Many of these require minimum transfers per month and direct debits. Are they any known spreadsheets online to manage this cashflow?

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm planning over opening as many current account and regular savers as I can. Many of these require minimum transfers per month and direct debits. Are they any known spreadsheets online to manage this cashflow?

Firstly, try to automate as many of the transfers as you can using standing orders.

I use a simple spreadsheet - the first column lists the accounts, the second column lists the day of the month a transfer needs to be made (if not the 1st), the third column lists the maturity date of the account. In the next column (headed with the month/year) I record (on each row, as the transfers are done) the date the payment into each account has been made.

Any gaps in this fifth column means a payment hasn't been made yet. At the end of the month I check to make sure all the rows in the fifth column have been filled. At the start of the next month I add a new column between columns 4 and 5, which adds a new 'column 5' - data for all previous months is still there, it just moves to the right by one column each time a new month is added.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I would also suggest a 'map' pictorially identifying flows indicating where & how much money is going from and going to.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I just have post its on my laptop - widgets not actual post its, and I put how much is needed to be funded in which account, and I check back to this when I make my monthly payments, I also have the same for my DD so I can see at a glance when the next DD is due out and of which account.

I budget using YNAB and have been doing so for three years and works well for me.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would also suggest a 'map' pictorially identifying flows indicating where & how much money is going from and going to.

This is also how I manage it. An A4 sheet. A box per account that has the bank name and sort/account numbers. Arrows to show flows. Annotations on each flow to show the amount and day (eg '£1000, 4th' or '£500, 4wk'). I add and colour 'scooper' standing orders that collect and funnel interest to collector accounts. An highlighted Direct Debit flows. I can't imagine doing all that transparently without a visual method. I do have it modelled inside a money management app (glorified spreadsheet) so I can reconcile, but thats rather opaque at a glance.
  • Many thanks for all your replies. I'll see what I can come up with :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure