PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Exempt?

Options
Hi all, How do I find out if my house is Stamp Duty Exempt.

When I originally purchased my house it was exempt from stamp duty, 11 years on and I want to transfer ownership, effectively removing my name and put it in my partners name. We have established affordability and have a mortgage in principal so all's good there, at the last minute they mentioned stamp duty and I told her when I bought the house it was stamp duty exempt, she seemed surprised at that but nevertheless that is what I was told by the solicitors that were assisting me in the purchase.

As a side note what is the current cost for searches etc, I live in Nottinghamshire and have been quoted approx £900 that seems a bit steep to me?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It might not be the property itself that was exempt. Were you a FTB 11 years ago?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may have been exempt at the time you bought (some postcodes were) but that was a temporary concession, not a permanent thing. Or there was nothing to pay for some other reason. You need to assess it by the current rules.

I presume the £900 is the total bill, not just for searches?!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    darkan9el wrote: »
    ...... I told her when I bought the house it was stamp duty exempt, she seemed surprised at that .....

As a side note what is the current cost for searches etc, I live in Nottinghamshire and have been quoted approx £900 that seems a bit steep to me?
    11 years on, roperties are not exempt.

But some buyers may be. The buyer needs to assess their circumstances against the current rules.

What does the £900 cover? 'Searches' is far too vague a description.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SDLT disadvantaged area status relief ended in April 2013.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    darkan9el wrote: »
    Hi all, How do I find out if my house is Stamp Duty Exempt.

When I originally purchased my house it was exempt from stamp duty, 11 years on and I want to transfer ownership, effectively removing my name and put it in my partners name. We have established affordability and have a mortgage in principal so all's good there, at the last minute they mentioned stamp duty and I told her when I bought the house it was stamp duty exempt, she seemed surprised at that but nevertheless that is what I was told by the solicitors that were assisting me in the purchase.

why not read the rules yourself?

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/land-and-property-transfers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family