My word against theirs?

Options
Hi everyone, got a situation here that I'd like a little confirmation on...

During my uni days I invested in a website building tool which had a set cost for 3 years and would continue as a yearly service afterward. Mid last year I spoke over the phone with a person at the company to cancel the service as I was aware my subscription would be renewed at the start of 2018. I was told auto-renew had been turned off so I would not be charged again for the service but I would still be able to use my account if I wanted to up to when the 3 years I paid for ended (I'm sure you can see where this is going)...

Fast forward to the 8th Jan 2018 and I suddenly see that I have been charged by the company for a year subscription which was a nasty shock to say the least! Now, I admit that I made some mistakes here... I didn't ask for an email to confirm our conversation about the cancellation mid 2017 and I didn't record the phone call or write down the person I spoke to's name. It's near impossible to reach them by phone so I explained the situation via email and the companies live chat function, and in both cases the same person denied my explanation and refuse to refund the subscription cost.

So we are in a situation of my word against theirs...anyone have any ideas of what I could try to pursue this further and get my money back for an unused subscription?

Thanks in advance!
Luke

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Raise a chargeback with the provider of the card used for the renewal?

What do the company's T&Cs say regarding cancelling a renewal? Do they specify how and when this must be done?

I know - you speaking with a company representative and them accepting your cancellation notice may vary any stated T&C; your problem would be in proving it. I suppose you could issue them with a Subject Access Request for a copy of all data they hold on you, including copies of all communications whether written or verbal (i.e. call recordings).

Do you remember if (when you called them) you got a message saying that they recorded calls? Do you still have access to your call register (e.g. bill) for that period to prove that you called them and spoke with them for X minutes?
  • DesignerLuke
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

I asked about their recordings and they told me the last time they had recorded a conversation with me (whilst still denying that I had canceled the subscription). I then used that date and searched through my emails and found one from myself and a reply from the very same person at the company who had denied my claims confirming my request to cancel the subscription AND them confirming that auto-renew had been removed!

I have forwarded the emails to them and am now awaiting a reply. I expect a refund and an apology as they really shouldn't have any argument back.

Will keep the thread updated with the outcome. Thanks again :)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 January 2018 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Game, set and match ... they confirmed in writing to agree to the cancellation. :)

If they still don't play ball then raise a chargeback ... that email is your evidence of them agreeing to cancel, therefore the payment being taken and them not refunding when notified of the issue moves this from an error to, essentially, theft.
  • DesignerLuke
    Options
    Refund received finally! :)

I was getting concerned after they pretty much ignored me for 2 days after admitting their error and no apology but what's important is I've got my money back...phew!

Would have struggled to get it back without your advice DoaM, thanks!
  • hightara
    hightara Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done DesignerLuke and DoaM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts