PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting out - costs inc tax help

Options
Im looking at moving in with my other half (she is moving to a new property)

I own mine yet still have a mortgage and am looking to rent out to save money

Im still unclear of the costs and looks like I will actually lose money when tax is bought into the equasion

So question for landlords:

1. Do I need an accountant for the tax payable or can I do this myself via a SATR?

2 Is there a calculator or similar online so I can predict my costs?

Comments

• capital0ne
    Options
    You can do it yourself on your SATR - it's straightforward, and I recall if your rental income is less than £15k you don't need to itemise things.

You need to tell HMRC the Income and costs involved, for example any work on the property while rented comes off the income as do other expenses like insurance, agent fees etc, anything you pay towards the property or the rental can be deducted - you may make a profit after all!
  • steveo999
    Options
    Is there any calculator I can use so I have an idea?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take it you have looked into if your mortgage provider will let you rent it out ?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... and freeholder if you have a lease.

* New landlords: advice, information & links

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There's some very good information on the HMRC website about income, costs, etc. for landlords, e.g. https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax / what you can claim, etc. They also run regular webinars for landlords, to answer individual questions.

You can only claim costs AFTER the property is rented for the first time (unless it's unfit for habitation), so getting it ready to be rented out - e.g. legal requirements such as gas & electric safety checks, smoke alarms, plus other things like decorating, can't be claimed for when you're setting up the property to be rented. Once it's been rented, then annual gas checks (legally required), repairs, like for like replacements (e.g. replacing a broken cooker), buildings & contents insurance, letting agency costs, etc. can be claimed against rental income.

Remember that you'll have to take over utility costs, and council tax, during times when you don't have a tenant (but I don't think you can claim for those - someone-else may know differently??)

You should be able to do this via a SATR - there's a separate form (SA105) which is just for income from property, to attach to the main form (SA100).

Do your figures carefully - you could still come out in profit (especially if the property increases in value).
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    steveo999 wrote: »
    Im looking at moving in with my other half (she is moving to a new property)

I own mine yet still have a mortgage and am looking to rent out to save money

Im still unclear of the costs and looks like I will actually lose money when tax is bought into the equasion

So question for landlords:

1. Do I need an accountant for the tax payable or can I do this myself via a SATR?

You might be able to do it yourself (my sister managed to do a self assessment, so anyone can really!)

I don't know what you mean by costs.

Have you got consent to let? If not, the whole things stops

Have you considered what you do if the tenant stops paying rent?
    Will you have a letting agent?
    Have you looked at your obligations (failing these can lead to financial penalties - or even criminal in extreme circumstances)
    You say you will actually lose money? That seems unlikely. Remember you are paying off equity and building value too.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 January 2018 at 11:40PM
    Options
    steveo999 wrote: »

the tax return is your calculator, do it online and it will tell you your tax liability every time you save it. Just don't submit it until you are ready to do so (even then you can still amend it later if needs be)

whether you need an accountant or not depends on how much work you are prepared to do in educating yourself.

HMRC course: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/courses/syob3/new_letting/HTML/new_letting_menu.html
    simpleton's guide: https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax
    proper guide: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual
    Corona wrote: »
    You can only claim costs AFTER the property is rented for the first time (unless it's unfit for habitation), so getting it ready to be rented out - e.g. legal requirements such as gas & electric safety checks, smoke alarms, plus other things like decorating, can't be claimed for when you're setting up the property to be rented. yes you can - subject to some rules Once it's been rented, then annual gas checks (legally required), repairs, like for like replacements (e.g. replacing a broken cooker), buildings & contents insurance, letting agency costs, etc. can be claimed against rental income. correct, the renewals rules now apply

Remember that you'll have to take over utility costs, and council tax, during times when you don't have a tenant (but I don't think you can claim for those - someone-else may know differently??) yes you can, provided the void period is a genuine void, not personal use

You should be able to do this via a SATR - there's a separate form (SA105) which is just for income from property, to attach to the main form (SA100).

Do your figures carefully - you could still come out in profit (especially if the property increases in value).
    read: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim2505
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure