Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 9th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,335Posts
    • 194Thanks
    littlerock
    how can I find out details of fatal road traffic involving friend?
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    how can I find out details of fatal road traffic involving friend? 9th Jan 18 at 6:34 PM
    Someone I know quite well was recently involved in a local road traffic accident, as a pedestrian and received injuries from which she has since died when a car mounted the pavement..That is all I know. I don't know how the car came to do this or why. Maybe speeding, maybe a chase. The site is near me and the damage horrendous.

I don't want to start quizzing her family at such a difficult time but do feel I would like to know how such a tragic accident happened. The thing is the police released no information on the day, despite closing the road for several hours and only minimal information the next day although they did say no one had been charged and her family were aware.The accident is not listed on their online record of major road accidents locally although more recent ones are.

Several local people are wondering online whether there is some sort of incident blackout on the incident. why might this be? and are road traffic accidents on the public highway in the public domain? could i ask the police for information in what happened. it was in the early evening and such a busy road there must have been witnesses.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 62,815 Posts
    • 368,042 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    Deleted as it turned out the one I was referring to wasn't the one the OP meant.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-01-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 9th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    Someone I know quite well was recently involved in a local road traffic accident, as a pedestrian and received injuries from which she has since died when a car mounted the pavement..That is all I know. I don't know how the car came to do this or why. Maybe speeding, maybe a chase. The site is near me and the damage horrendous.

I don't want to start quizzing her family at such a difficult time but do feel I would like to know how such a tragic accident happened. The thing is the police released no information on the day, despite closing the road for several hours and only minimal information the next day although they did say no one had been charged and her family were aware.The accident is not listed on their online record of major road accidents locally although more recent ones are.

Several local people are wondering online whether there is some sort of incident blackout on the incident. why might this be? and are road traffic accidents on the public highway in the public domain? could i ask the police for information in what happened. it was in the early evening and such a busy road there must have been witnesses.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    I understand your interest but wait and see and stuff will get relaeased when they are ready

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 16,552 Posts
    • 41,791 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    Why do you want to know, other than morbid curiosity?

Maybe the police are still investigating, maybe people are respecting the person's/families privacy until any inquest, trial or whatever.

The police don't automatically release potentially speculative information straight away as that does more harm than good. And they have better things to do than answer general queries until they've actually got something to say. Let it go. Let her family grieve in peace. The information will be in the public domain in due course.
    Last edited by elsien; 09-01-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    As there has been a death there will have to be a full investigation and inquest.

It will probably take many months before the full details are revealed.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    As there has been a death there will have to be a full investigation and inquest.

It will probably take many months before the full details are revealed.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    And that could entail the police doing the bare minimum and the coroner simply reading the report. On the other hand if there is a crown court trial there won’t be an inquest.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    A trial does not mean no inquest, they are separate processes with different reasons for being held.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    A trial does not mean no inquest
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    A conviction will.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    If there is to be a criminal trial the norm for the case to come to trial is over 12 months. Very little will be released to the public prior to the trial so that the jury do not form an opinion of the case pre trial. I have seen cases take more than 2 years to come to trial if they are complex or the defendent messes about and abuses the court process.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    If there is to be a criminal trial the norm for the case to come to trial is over 12 months. Very little will be released to the public prior to the trial so that the jury do not form an opinion of the case pre trial. I have seen cases take more than 2 years to come to trial if they are complex or the defendent messes about and abuses the court process.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    And your source for that is?
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    angrycrow
    And your source for that is?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Dealing with them as part of my job would be the source. They are never pleasant afairs to deal with.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Dealing with them as part of my job would be the source. They are never pleasant afairs to deal with.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Given that a senior prosecutor from CPS will attend the initial case conference I can tell you 12 months to come to trial is not the norm and they would not allow this to happen.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Given that a senior prosecutor from CPS will attend the initial case conference I can tell you 12 months to come to trial is not the norm and they would not allow this to happen.
    Maybe not in your constabulary but only one case I have been involved in has come to trial earlier than 11 months and I deal with cases from all over the country.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Jan 18, 1:01 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    And that could entail the police doing the bare minimum and the coroner simply reading the report. On the other hand if there is a crown court trial there won’t be an inquest.

How can there be a trial without an inquest? Are you sure????
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Inquests and criminal trials are independent processes for different purposes.

For example, if a person was seriously injured rather than killed there would still be a trial.

Similarly, if someone died in a variety of circumstances not involving criminal activity then there will still be an inquest.

The link typically gets highlighted when an Inquest determines an unlawful killing which may then trigger a review of prosecution. The processes aren't independent because the coroner will not need an Inquiry if the criminal case is proven. It is not up to the coroner to prove an unlawful killing before there can be a case, rather the coroner will automatically return that verdict in the event of a successful prosecution.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    If someone is convicted of death by careless/dangerous the offender has committed a criminal offence and it has resulted in a death. It then does not need a coroner to rule they were unlawfully killed.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 14,239 Thanks
    worried jim
    Was there nothing in the local paper OP? By the sounds of Pastures New description (and is often the case) the old boy was driving an automatic and got the pedals mixed up and floored the accelerator thinking it was the break when trying to park.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    littlerock
    It was not the case referred to by Pastures New. The police in this case did not release any information at the time or even later that day (not even to traffic news although the road was closed, for several hours, and it is a busy road) in fact nothing until the following afternoon. Then it was just the bare bones report probably standard format. "Woman in 40s waiting at bus stop at around 8pm, hit by audi quattro. In critical condition in hospital. Family aware (it actually said that.) Driver stopped at location. (That too must have been a standard line in the report proforma, if you had seen the resulting damage, there could not have been a lot of car left...) driver is having treatment for non life threatening injuries. No arrests made." That was it and it was not released until the following day. two days later a brief report was issued saying the woman had died.

I wondered if the public is allowed to know the circumstances of a serious road accident or if it is deliberately kept secret unless you are a relative. I am only interested because I knew her. It is puzzling, both the apparent news black out at the time, which other local people have commented on, and because the road concerned - the driver would have had to do a 90 degree turn at high speed to hit the bus stop and there is really no where to turn there, there are parked cars each side apart from the bus stop.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I wondered if the public is allowed to know the circumstances of a serious road accident or if it is deliberately kept secret unless you are a relative. I am only interested because I knew her. It is puzzling, both the apparent news black out at the time, which other local people have commented on, and because the road concerned - the driver would have had to do a 90 degree turn at high speed to hit the bus stop and there is really no where to turn there, there are parked cars each side apart from the bus stop.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    As soon as there is a criminal investigation then the police will not share anything that they believe may hinder their investigation. They may appeal for witnesses, but they will not release a description of the event and aside from vague details of arrest. They certainly will not suggest blame.

The press are very much party to this, they should not share anything but the most basic of information when they know there is a criminal investigation. I'm not sure what legal restrictions there are, but there is presumably is obstruction of justice.

As a concerned citizen - well, you have no rights to know what went on. You will have to be very patient, it could be a year or more before anything happens. Someone I knew was killed on a bicycle and the trial was 18 months, that is not unusual, and before that time there simply was not any public information.

Your role is tea and sympathy, not to be a PI.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    Sounds like a plot for "Silent Witness".
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

6,715Users online

Martin's Twitter