Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrbg07546
    • By mrbg07546 9th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 224Posts
    • 13Thanks
    mrbg07546
    Renewal during pending claim.
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    Renewal during pending claim. 9th Jan 18 at 6:00 PM
    I have a pending claim where Iím likely to be the non fault driver.

My current insurance says they will assume Iím at fault and if it concludes Iím not at fault Iíll get a 300 pound refund.

When ringing other suppliers as a comparison. They say they canít tell me how much I will be refunded . And itís a lot more expensive.

Is this typically the case with pending claims? It gets a bit messy and itís easier staying with current supplier.
Page 1
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 9th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    I have a pending claim where Iím likely to be the non fault driver.

My current insurance says they will assume Iím at fault and if it concludes Iím not at fault Iíll get a 300 pound refund.

When ringing other suppliers as a comparison. They say they canít tell me how much I will be refunded . And itís a lot more expensive.

Is this typically the case with pending claims? It gets a bit messy and itís easier staying with current supplier.
    Originally posted by mrbg07546
    'Fraid so.

You will still have an incident you have to declare, and as you are finding, the incident affects premium even when you might not end up being to blame.

If the renewal premium is in the same ball park then I'd stick with them. You could try some fake renewals on the comparison sites using a fake name similar address and similar car without the reg. and see what differences a no-blame claim and blame claim make to the quotes, that would give you an idea of where you stand. The trouble is that different firms have different profiles so a company that is competitive with an accident history may not be the same with a cleanish record so you cannot be sure that the company you go to will still be cheaper when you eventually clear the accident up.
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 9th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    You only find out how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • mrbg07546
    • By mrbg07546 10th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mrbg07546
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    Iíve just been told Iím not at fault and other insurance company has admitted it? Can input no fault now? Or do I have to wait till completion. Eg car is repaired
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 10th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    Until they've actually recovered their costs, your insurer will likely treat it as an unresolved claim and if so it would have to be declared as such. (Your renewal notice will show the status of the claim - and also how it has affected your NCD).

What would normally happen would be that when it's settled in your favour your insurer will restore your NCD, mark the accident as no fault on their databases, and refund any additional premium you paid as a result of the claim being unresolved.

If you decide to move to another insurer then you should get them to confirm first that they'll return some of your premium when the claim is resolved. Your old insurer won't automatically tell the new one when that happens so you should also be prepared to do a bit of legwork in terms of chasing them up, and forwarding letters on to yoru new insurer when the time comes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter