Renewal during pending claim.

Options
I have a pending claim where I’m likely to be the non fault driver.

My current insurance says they will assume I’m at fault and if it concludes I’m not at fault I’ll get a 300 pound refund.

When ringing other suppliers as a comparison. They say they can’t tell me how much I will be refunded . And it’s a lot more expensive.

Is this typically the case with pending claims? It gets a bit messy and it’s easier staying with current supplier.

Comments

• IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrbg07546 wrote: »
    I have a pending claim where I’m likely to be the non fault driver.

My current insurance says they will assume I’m at fault and if it concludes I’m not at fault I’ll get a 300 pound refund.

When ringing other suppliers as a comparison. They say they can’t tell me how much I will be refunded . And it’s a lot more expensive.

Is this typically the case with pending claims? It gets a bit messy and it’s easier staying with current supplier.
    'Fraid so.

You will still have an incident you have to declare, and as you are finding, the incident affects premium even when you might not end up being to blame.

If the renewal premium is in the same ball park then I'd stick with them. You could try some fake renewals on the comparison sites using a fake name similar address and similar car without the reg. and see what differences a no-blame claim and blame claim make to the quotes, that would give you an idea of where you stand. The trouble is that different firms have different profiles so a company that is competitive with an accident history may not be the same with a cleanish record so you cannot be sure that the company you go to will still be cheaper when you eventually clear the accident up.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You only find out how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • mrbg07546
    mrbg07546 Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve just been told I’m not at fault and other insurance company has admitted it? Can input no fault now? Or do I have to wait till completion. Eg car is repaired
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Until they've actually recovered their costs, your insurer will likely treat it as an unresolved claim and if so it would have to be declared as such. (Your renewal notice will show the status of the claim - and also how it has affected your NCD).

What would normally happen would be that when it's settled in your favour your insurer will restore your NCD, mark the accident as no fault on their databases, and refund any additional premium you paid as a result of the claim being unresolved.

If you decide to move to another insurer then you should get them to confirm first that they'll return some of your premium when the claim is resolved. Your old insurer won't automatically tell the new one when that happens so you should also be prepared to do a bit of legwork in terms of chasing them up, and forwarding letters on to yoru new insurer when the time comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure