Treating mould for health

Options
Hi everybody :)

I've read about the health risks of having mould in your home, & since I suffer from asthma this isn't something I'm too ecstatic about! The house in question has rising damp apparently, which I suppose is what's caused the mould, which I'm hoping to also get sorted out. But I wanted to do something as a temporary measure to eliminate the health risks of the current mould without spending an arm & a leg.... &... another arm... & another leg. & my head. (& the rest of my body.)

I've browsed self-mould-treatment ideas online. Do you think that if I scrub or wipe all the mould off the walls, then paint with a special mould-resistant paint that keeps it locked in, & then paint with regular paint on top of that, that the health risks of the mould would no longer be an issue any more, or at least, for the immediate future, until I get the root issue of the rising damp sorted out?

Any input will be highly appreciated! :o

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mould exists because of damp - usually condensation, and poor airflow - such as behind wardrobes.

Remove excess moisture and the problem will go away; use diluted bleach and marigolds to remove that which is present.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Would a dehumidifier also help ?
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where's the mould occuring and why - is it on cold areas? Or is it coming in from outside - leaking gutters or down pipes, soil, paving or other objects built up against outside walls?

If it is condensation in cold areas, are you doing anything to add moisture to the air inside the house that could make it worse? Drying clothes indoors, or on radiators? Not running fans or opening windows when showering, cooking etc?

The mould is the symptom, you need to fix the cause first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure