Credit Card Surcharges on Trade Customer Accounts

Options
I have just been told by a large building supplies Company that they can still charge a surcharge if we pay by credit card to clear our account as we have a Trade Credit Account.
Anyone know if this is correct? :eek::eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    From what I have read the changes don't come into effect until 13/01/18, how trade accounts will differ if at all I don't know.
  • Lizzytindrawers
    Options
    Yes I asked them about payments from the 13/01/2018 - but they responded with "Unfortunately the law regarding credit cards relates to UK Consumers – as you are a Trade Credit customer, currently the surcharge will still stand as the law change does not apply."
    I cannot find anything online that agrees or disagrees with this?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I understand it business cards can still be charged.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 9:45PM
    Options
    Yes I asked them about payments from the 13/01/2018 - but they responded with "Unfortunately the law regarding credit cards relates to UK Consumers – as you are a Trade Credit customer, currently the surcharge will still stand as the law change does not apply."
    I cannot find anything online that agrees or disagrees with this?
    I posted links to the various documents relating to this legislative change on another thread at: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73588691&postcount=34

I'd interpret these as meaning that consumer cards can't be surcharged when the new regs take effect but that business ones can, i.e. it's the type of card that determines whether surcharges can be applied rather than the type of transaction, so IMHO using a consumer card to settle a business-related account shouldn't be surcharged.

Edit: MSE agrees with me, as at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday
    The surcharge rules are based on how you pay not who you are though. So if you pay with a business credit card you can be charged extra, but if you're a business owner using your personal credit credit you can't be charged the surcharge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure