Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lizzytindrawers
    • By Lizzytindrawers 9th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lizzytindrawers
    Credit Card Surcharges on Trade Customer Accounts
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    Credit Card Surcharges on Trade Customer Accounts 9th Jan 18 at 2:03 PM
    I have just been told by a large building supplies Company that they can still charge a surcharge if we pay by credit card to clear our account as we have a Trade Credit Account.
    Anyone know if this is correct?
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    From what I have read the changes don't come into effect until 13/01/18, how trade accounts will differ if at all I don't know.
    Ex Board Guide
    • Lizzytindrawers
    • By Lizzytindrawers 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizzytindrawers
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    Yes I asked them about payments from the 13/01/2018 - but they responded with "Unfortunately the law regarding credit cards relates to UK Consumers !!!8211; as you are a Trade Credit customer, currently the surcharge will still stand as the law change does not apply."
    I cannot find anything online that agrees or disagrees with this?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    As I understand it business cards can still be charged.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    Yes I asked them about payments from the 13/01/2018 - but they responded with "Unfortunately the law regarding credit cards relates to UK Consumers !!!8211; as you are a Trade Credit customer, currently the surcharge will still stand as the law change does not apply."
    I cannot find anything online that agrees or disagrees with this?
    Originally posted by Lizzytindrawers
    I posted links to the various documents relating to this legislative change on another thread at: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73588691&postcount=34

I'd interpret these as meaning that consumer cards can't be surcharged when the new regs take effect but that business ones can, i.e. it's the type of card that determines whether surcharges can be applied rather than the type of transaction, so IMHO using a consumer card to settle a business-related account shouldn't be surcharged.

Edit: MSE agrees with me, as at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday
    The surcharge rules are based on how you pay not who you are though. So if you pay with a business credit card you can be charged extra, but if you're a business owner using your personal credit credit you can't be charged the surcharge.
    Last edited by eskbanker; 09-01-2018 at 8:45 PM. Reason: Add link to subsequently-published MSE article
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,055Posts Today

5,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin