Out of touch

Options
Over the past few years, I seem to have got left behind a little with new technology for tablets, mobile phones etc., and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a publication, be it monthly, weekly, that would help me get back up to speed. Even a website if there is such a thing.

I am okay with the basic, but I am hopeless on configuring systems to meet my needs and not what Google and the like seem to force me into.

Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Dummies Guide series? Should be available in the local library.
  • Wren4
    Wren4 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Neil
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    YouTube is generally excellent too, not always that deep though, but sometimes the wrong advice too.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    not sure what you need to know. its all been about connectivity for the last couple of years. whether on pc, laptop, tablet or phone you can access contacts, messages, calendars, docs, multimedia etc anywhere on any device.

we are now moving rapidly into ai (artificial intelligence) and the smart home/car with google home and amazons alexa where you can control your heating, lighting, appliance with either your voice or a app on mobile device.

have a look at the top apps in the app store. the gadget show (ch5) and bbc click (not sure what channel) are weekly programmes on tv to keep you up to date. in the magazine section of the app store you can subscribe to tech advisor or similar
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've subscribed to ComputerActive magazine for a number of years and find it a really good way of keeping up to date with the type of technology you are talking about.

It keeps things to a fairly simplistic level in most areas which suits me fine!

It comes out every 2 weeks.

You can browse a copy in W H Smith to get an idea of what is provides before you buy (or not)
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    I've subscribed to ComputerActive magazine for a number of years and find it a really good way of keeping up to date with the type of technology you are talking about.

It keeps things to a fairly simplistic level in most areas which suits me fine!

It comes out every 2 weeks.

You can browse a copy in W H Smith to get an idea of what is provides before you buy (or not)
    In my mind there is nothing better than readly for lots of Mags , and I noticed that recently Computer Active has been available :mad: I bought the last two in my local shop. Readly is 7.99/month and has Linux Mags, some PC mags and other tech stuff but the biggie for me is that the wife can also read a lot of her mags , it has saved us a fortune and a lot of recycling bags. I believe they still offer a two week trial (free) or two months for the price of one. Works on iTHINGS and android plus PC give it a try
    https://gb.readly.com/ ... Not an advert nor spam just good sense. I even read mags I wouldn't even pick in the Newspaper shop
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Also, really aimed at us older folk the web site http://www.silverhairs.co.uk/
    is a good general advice area.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Magazines.

Read them all online free.

http://magazinelib.com/?s=computeractive
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Also, really aimed at us older folk the web site http://www.silverhairs.co.uk/
    is a good general advice area.

Looks like the website is designed for those missing the mid '90's? :p
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Check with your local library;

Here in Essex the library service allows access to about 100 magazines on different subjects online only for free. There are over 12 computer based magazines on my library's access pages,

Only problem with this service you must have a valid Essex permanent address.

Perhaps your local library service does something like it.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income