RM Tracked 4 hour delivery windows

Looks like RM are lurching forward with updating their services.
They are running a '7 customer' trial of 4 hour delivery slots for customers from the 15th of this month.
Don't know the customers yet but assume Amazon is likely to be one of them.
Standard fare. Customer gets an SMS to track & trace to advice them of their estimated 4 hour delivery window.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yodel and My Hermes have been doing this for months. My Hermes gives you a delivery slot. Yodel tells you how many parcels between you and the courier. Not to mention UPS, DPD etc....

It is nice to see Royal Mail is joining us in 2018. The way they are steaming ahead, non-business customers will be able to get full tracking on their parcels as standard by 2025
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Yodel and My Hermes have been doing this for months. My Hermes gives you a delivery slot. Yodel tells you how many parcels between you and the courier. Not to mention UPS, DPD etc....

It is nice to see Royal Mail is joining us in 2018. The way they are steaming ahead, non-business customers will be able to get full tracking on their parcels as standard by 2025
    In my experience it only really works with DPD.
    Given RM's set up it should be easy enough for them to be more accurate on timing. The routes are always the same on normal post, a DPD driver doesn't know what he's got or where he's going until he gets to the depot. Where RM will fall down is with redeliveries/rescheduling.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »

I think you do RM a diservice.
    Do you think its as easy as Yodel/Hermes to set this up?
    Yodel deal simply with packages. Joe has 50 packages. put them in approximate delivery order.
    Postie Bob and Sue have 25 tracked,12 SDs,2 letter deliveries at 1100 doors with 50 packages including signatures and 2D barcodes to scan ,collections etc.
    RFW wrote: »
    In my experience it only really works with DPD.
    Given RM's set up it should be easy enough for them to be more accurate on timing. The routes are always the same on normal post, a DPD driver doesn't know what he's got or where he's going until he gets to the depot. Where RM will fall down is with redeliveries/rescheduling.

not 100%. SD items can be a fly in the ointment. RM really need to push the times back as deliveries run past 1pm.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »

not 100%. SD items can be a fly in the ointment. RM really need to push the times back as deliveries run past 1pm.
    The signed and other services effectively need to be a different set up though. It wouldn't be too difficult to know that posty x arrives at street y between 10am and 11am every day. If the mail is tracked it's then easy enough to find it. As far as I can tell the set up is there it's the structure and organisation that isn't.

RM is still the best service I use pretty much bar none. There's a rare loss, probably running at below 0.1% and I can never be certain that's down to a loss or something else. Every other company I deal with has a far worse !!!! up rate. With a few tweaks they could be outstanding.
  • custardy
    RFW wrote: »
    The signed and other services effectively need to be a different set up though. It wouldn't be too difficult to know that posty x arrives at street y between 10am and 11am every day. If the mail is tracked it's then easy enough to find it. As far as I can tell the set up is there it's the structure and organisation that isn't.

RM is still the best service I use pretty much bar none. There's a rare loss, probably running at below 0.1% and I can never be certain that's down to a loss or something else. Every other company I deal with has a far worse !!!! up rate. With a few tweaks they could be outstanding.

What do you mean by different set up? The cost savings come by having 1 postie doing the whole element of the delivery & collections.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 2:03PM
    I thought most people already knew their "4 hr delivery slot" with RM. I do, it is between 9 and 1. 9-930 for SD on the van after he has dropped the postie off, normal post 9.30 - 11.00 and larger packets 12.00 - 1.00 on the van. As long as it is tracked and shows as out for delivery I pretty much know when it is likely to arrive. Knowing what the parcel is pretty much narrows the time slot.
  • custardy
    molerat wrote: »
    I thought most people already knew their "4 hr delivery slot" with RM. I do, it is between 9 and 1. 9-930 for SD on the van after he has dropped the postie off, normal post 9.30 - 11.00 and larger packets 12.00 - 1.00 on the van. As long as it is tracked and shows as out for delivery I pretty much know when it is likely to arrive. Knowing what the parcel is pretty much narrows the time slot.

Sounds like you are yet to have the 'modern' delivery methods.
    Many wont have related to your version for years Im afraid
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Sounds like you are yet to have the 'modern' delivery methods.
    Many wont have related to your version for years Im afraid
    How does it work now then ? At the moment the van brings the postie to the walk area, putting the extra bags in the tin boxes, and delivers the SDs. Seems to be a system that works.
  • custardy
    molerat wrote: »
    How does it work now then ? At the moment the van brings the postie to the walk area, putting the extra bags in the tin boxes, and delivers the SDs. Seems to be a system that works.

So right now. That driver drops of the bags for approx 6 posties.
    He/she also will deliver the large packets etc for those 6 posties.
    likely they will deliver to local firms too.

So get rid of that driver.
    get those 6 postie to pair up and work from a van for each pair.
    They will deliver 2 foot deliveries (likely increased in size when joined)
    They will deliver all SDs,large packets etc for both duties and deliver to all firms etc.
    they will likely also have to do some collections too,
    do this with all the duties and you can also wipe out collection duties.

so with a pair of deliveries they may have to do things in different orders to meet SD targets etc so you might be at the start of the delivery one day and the end another.`
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure