cancel fitness first

Options
Almost a year ago I signed up for fitness first, 6-months contract… I went two weeks, then, I believe I cancelled it; or that’s what I thought; I remember calling but I am not sure… Anyway, I haven’t stopped the direct debit and, of course, they haven’t either… I confused the name in the splits with a provider I have.

My question is, what’s my best move? Would they refund me anything at all? I guess they can tell I just went a few times to the gym… Is it best to call? Go there in person?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    What does your contract say about cancellation.

It's hardly surprising that they didn't cancel the DD as you're not even sure you contacted them to cancel your membership.

Maybe there's something here that will help:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-gym-membership?_ga=2.45895008.576594396.1512289052-423494737.1487771712

If you click on the link, there's a section about cancelling contracts.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    So you have been paying a gym membership for "almost a year" and "went two weeks, then, I believe I cancelled it".

May I enquire as to how you didn't notice the extra money going out? If it was monthly payments then surely you check your account at least once in "almost a year"? If it was term payments (6 month contract) then surely you notice a big chunk of money coming out at the first renewal point?

It depends on your contract to be honest. I'd be looking for:

- Ts and Cs relating to automatic renewal of contract
    - Cancellation Ts and Cs
    - Whether you have any evidence of the cancellation being requested in line with Ts and Cs (email, letter, phone call transcript, phone call record)
    - Whether you've used the facilities any time beyond the initial 2 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport