Mystery damp stains on wooden windowsill

Options
RainbowLaura
RainbowLaura Posts: 240 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone,

I am looking for ideas from you helpful people as I am really stumped.

A few months ago I noticed water stains (dry to the touch) all along the inside of my wooden windowsill, in a thin line at the right angle where the sill meets the frame. I cleaned the marks and then tried repeatedly throwing water at the area from outside (sticking my hand out of the opposite side each time). No water came in, so I assumed the problem might be condensation or the result of rain coming in when it was open at some point.

A few weeks later I noticed the same mark was back again, and was bigger, despite the window remaining shut the whole time. I repeated the test and still nothing, so I decided to just be vigilant in terms of condensation.

Well, around a month later I've just found that the marks have reappeared! In this time I've checked several times a week, especially after heavy rain, and never noticed any dampness or condensation.

This is really frustrating me, and I am starting to worry that water is somehow getting into my walls and other places. The window is a dormer on the third floor (typical...) and was re-painted and treated (by a very reputable local company) earlier this year. I have stuck a mirror outside and had a look, but can't see any obvious problems with flashing or anything like that. Does anyone have any ideas, or any recommendations for what sort of company I could contact to investigate this for me?

Many thanks,

Laura

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    A picture might be helpful ??
    Could it be the knots in the wood that are bleeding through the paint ??
    HTH
  • RainbowLaura
    Options
    Thanks firefox, but unfortunately I instinctively cleaned it without taking a picture! I'd imagine that since I'm able to do that, it wouldn't be the knots in the wood. Had the decorators pop round today to quote for something else and explained the problem to them (as they are very familiar with the window design on this estate, and also replaced some rotten wood around said window when they were up there painting). They were puzzled too and could find no leakage despite it raining heavily while they were looking... Odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure