Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChangesAhead
    • By ChangesAhead 8th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ChangesAhead
    Blue Badge Use Question
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Blue Badge Use Question 8th Jan 18 at 3:37 PM
    If you are dropping off a passenger who has a blue badge outside a medical place and then park up elsewhere some distance away using their badge, before returning to pick them up when there appointment is over. Is this allowed?

It was a question I wondered earlier today. I couldn't park outside the medical premises where I dropped them on, no on street parking left, so I had to park elsewhere and paid for two hours of parking, when I did wonder if I could have parked in a disabled bay free since the car was solely being used for the passengers benefit. There was no way the disabled badge holder could have walked to and from where the car was parked.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 33,199 Posts
    • 39,145 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    Yes , although you could get challenged to prove it on very rare occasions
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. When they stop the widespread abuse of disabled parking spaces and blue badges then maybe we can think about the rights and wrongs of your case.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    john240870
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    I would say no you can't drop someone off then drive off and park using there blue badge once the BB holder has left the car the BB can't be used.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    I also say no, you can't do this. Reason being is the disabled person is no longer in the car with you.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    I also say no, you can't do this. Reason being is the disabled person is no longer in the car with you.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    So do you think that applies if you stop outside a hospital door (public road) and drop off, then drive a few meters to park? Lets say 50m.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 3,414 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    When the person comes out will they walk to the car or will you bring it to the door? If they walk to the car then yes, otherwise no.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england

Para 2 opening sentence.
    Last edited by unforeseen; 08-01-2018 at 7:47 PM.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    So do you think that applies if you stop outside a hospital door (public road) and drop off, then drive a few meters to park? Lets say 50m.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Yes, unless the blue badge holder is then going to walk back to the car in the disabled space, which if so why not just park in it in the first place.

What about wheelchair users that may need that space?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,738 Posts
    • 16,892 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    If you are dropping off a passenger who has a blue badge outside a medical place and then park up elsewhere some distance away using their badge, before returning to pick them up when there appointment is over. Is this allowed?

It was a question I wondered earlier today. I couldn't park outside the medical premises where I dropped them on, no on street parking left, so I had to park elsewhere and paid for two hours of parking, when I did wonder if I could have parked in a disabled bay free since the car was solely being used for the passengers benefit. There was no way the disabled badge holder could have walked to and from where the car was parked.
    Originally posted by ChangesAhead
    If you are dropping them off and picking them up, so the person does not need to walk to or from a parking space, then you should not use a disabled bay. If, however, the Blue Badge holder is going to walk back to the parking space, then yes, you could park there - but why not park there in the first place?
    • easy
    • By easy 9th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    easy
    I would make another comment tho'

UNLESS --
    you will have to leave the disabled person unsupervised for an unreasonable amount of time to find a parking space and walk back.

I remember once my hubby dropping me off for an appointment and driving away to find a parking space (the nearby blue badge spaces were occupied). He drove around the block 3 times to find a regular space, eventually parked on a yellow line using my blue badge to come back to me, by which time I had been leaning against a wall in a cold drafty corridor for over 20 mins. I was freezing and in quite a lot of pain by the time he got back to me. There were no chairs, and no one to help me down the long corridor to my appointment.

Obviously we had no idea when he left me it would be so difficult to park, but sometimes one has to be pragmatic.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • BobQ
    • By BobQ 22nd Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    • 9,964 Posts
    • 13,102 Thanks
    BobQ
    Yes, unless the blue badge holder is then going to walk back to the car in the disabled space, which if so why not just park in it in the first place.

What about wheelchair users that may need that space?
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    I no longer transport a disabled person in my car but when I did I often had this problem and was not sure of the rights and wrongs.

A variation on the OP's scenario I can recall is parking on yellow lines to disembark the individual and a wheel chair. He liked to walk as far as he could, pausing as necessary before using the wheelchair. He might then have another walk when I had pushed the chair further. Often we would reach another road and I would leave him sitting in the wheelchair while I returned to the car and drove to pick him up. As far as I was concerned I did nothing wrong.

I was once challenged by some aggressive member of the public and I said I had no wish to discuss the matter but that if he wanted to note the name on the badge he could contact the Council.

But I could see it from his viewpoint that all he saw was a fit person getting into a car with a blue badge that was not his.
    Last edited by BobQ; 22-01-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 24th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    cantcope
    no different to the people that use their passengers blue badge to park close but then leave them in the car while they sprint around tesco.
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 24th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I was once challenged by some aggressive member of the public and I said I had no wish to discuss the matter but that if he wanted to note the name on the badge he could contact the Council.

But I could see it from his viewpoint that all he saw was a fit person getting into a car with a blue badge that was not his. Posted by BobQ
    Some people just automatically jump to the wrong conclusion, without taking even a minute to consider what might be the true facts of the case.

My friend and her husband were parked in a disabled slot. Her husband got her settled in the front passenger seat, then walked round the vehicle to the driver's side. Yes, the little old biddy with a walking stick only saw a fit and able man getting into a car with a blue badge - but instead of challenging him she just started walloping the car bonnet with her stick screaming 'that people like him made her sick'. She only stopped screaming when my friend opened her door and stuck her (newly fitted) artificial leg out. The old biddy didn't even apologise.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 24-01-2018 at 9:42 PM.
    • ANNOYED1
    • By ANNOYED1 25th Jan 18, 12:21 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    ANNOYED1
    You can use the blue badge when dropping of or collecting the blue badge holder if you are taking them to the appointment. So you can park in the disabled bay and use the badge and walk with them to the building.
    I dont think you can drop them off and then go park and display the badge. You would have to contact the council where you are parking.
    Also most councils allow you to park in residents/permit bays which may be closer to the disabled bays. You should ask the council where you are parking.
    I know that disability organisations get blue badges and im sure i have seen them park further away and come collect the disabled people.
    Best thing is to ask council or department for transport.
    • easy
    • By easy 25th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    easy
    You can use the blue badge when dropping of or collecting the blue badge holder if you are taking them to the appointment. So you can park in the disabled bay and use the badge and walk with them to the building.
    I dont think you can drop them off and then go park and display the badge. You would have to contact the council where you are parking.
    Also most councils allow you to park in residents/permit bays which may be closer to the disabled bays. You should ask the council where you are parking.
    I know that disability organisations get blue badges and im sure i have seen them park further away and come collect the disabled people.
    Best thing is to ask council or department for transport.
    Originally posted by ANNOYED1
    Yes of course, we all have time to ring the local council to ask advice while we're driving round desperately searching for a parking space
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Our local hospital gets round the point by having a trolley bay shelter with coin operated wheelchairs.The disabled person then leaves and returns to the parked car, as they can be taken directly to the appointment, in a wheelchair.
    • ANNOYED1
    • By ANNOYED1 27th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    ANNOYED1
    Yes of course, we all have time to ring the local council to ask advice while we're driving round desperately searching for a parking space
    Originally posted by easy
    seriously your sarcasm is not helpful. i didnt say ring them when driving. They could ring them beforehand or look on website if they go to the same place regularly. How else are they going to get the answers they need other than to read the booklet that come with the blue badge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter