Curry's Returns Policy

Hi,
Bought a pair of headphones from Currie's, got home tried them, found the sound to be really echo y
which I didn't like. Decided to return them for a refund only to be told due to H and S I couldn't receive a refund. WTH were do you go with this, £170 item has to be kept because of H and S.
Have I got any rights on this?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DJ1418 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Bought a pair of headphones from Currie's, got home tried them, found the sound to be really echo y
    which I didn't like. Decided to return them for a refund only to be told due to H and S I couldn't receive a refund. WTH were do you go with this, £170 item has to be kept because of H and S.
    Have I got any rights on this?

It depends, if they are faulty then yes you are entitled to reject them for a refund within the first 30 days.

If however they are not faulty, just not as good as you were expecting then no you are not entitled to a refund, it’s less to do with health and safety and more to do with having no automatic right to a change of mind return. They do allow change of mind returns but not on opened items and while they may bend the rules for some resealable items, they cannot sell used headphones to another customer.

In future, do research and read reviews on products before buying them.
  • DJ1418
    DJ1418 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I do research and read reviews but have never read any review warning you not to try stuff as their health and safety policies mean you wont get a refund if your not satisfied with the product.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I do research and read reviews but have never read any review warning you not to try stuff as their health and safety policies mean you wont get a refund if your not satisfied with the product.

You don't read reviews to find that information, you look at the seller's returns policy.

It's to do with hygiene, not safety, and also applies to items such as mattresses, duvets and cosmetics.

Sorry, but if they aren't faulty then this will be an expensive learning curve for you.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So why didn't you know these were rubbish before you bought them?
  • DJ1418
    First Anniversary
    Its fine, as a poster above states "an expensive learning curve". It does seem as if Consumer rights seems to be diminishing further and further though with OTT policies on Hygiene.
    Have to laugh though, when the Manager tested them to see if they were faulty he came back and said they were fine but he hadn't inserted the battery in them.
    My word against his I suppose.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Its fine, as a poster above states "an expensive learning curve". It does seem as if Consumer rights seems to be diminishing further and further though with OTT policies on Hygiene.
    Have to laugh though, when the Manager tested them to see if they were faulty he came back and said they were fine but he hadn't inserted the battery in them.

Would you be happy to buy a pair of new headphones that had been used by someone else?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

You're missing the point. Consumer rights in this area haven't diminished - they haven't changed. For in-store purchases there is no right to return, either used or unused, if you are doing so because you have had a change of mind. That many retailers allow returns of the majority of products in this situation is to their credit. If you have even an inkling that an item might not be suitable then the time to check is at the till before you purchase.
  • DJ1418
    First Anniversary
    Would you be happy to buy a pair of new headphones that had been used by someone else?

OK, so you've never put a pair of headphones on in a shop to see how they fit , how they feel, headphones that have been tried on by hundreds maybe thousands of people?
    As I said OTT.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, so you've never put a pair of headphones on in a shop to see how they fit , how they feel, headphones that have been tried on by hundreds maybe thousands of people?
    As I said OTT.

And those are the very ones you should have tried before parting with your hard earned.
  • DJ1418
    First Anniversary
    And those are the very ones you should have tried before parting with your hard earned.

Think you're missing the point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport