Unable to get insurance

Options
Hi can anyone help with this difficult scenario.

Facts
1) I jointly own a property with my partner.
2) I moved out of the property 3 weeks ago due to relationship breakdown but she remains at the property.
3) She has insured the property from 03 January 2018 by continuing with the same insurance company we were with the previous year
4) However without informing me she is the sole named policy holder. Under our previous insurance I was the joint policy holder.
Problem
1) As I am not on the policy she could cancel the insurance at any time and I would not know if the property was insured or not.
2) Solicitor said I cannot compel her to put my name on the insurance as a joint policy holder.
3) Insurance companies say they will not dual insure a property neither will the underwriters.
4) Insurance company that she took the insurance with cannot not discuss the insurance with me as I am not on the policy. So due to data protection they cannot tell me anything.

Conclusion
1)Now my partner could stop the insurance and if there was a fire and the property was damaged I would lose everything.

2) I cannot take out insurance to protect my house as I cannot dual insure.

3) If she has got insurance and the house was burnt to the ground there is no guarantee she would make a claim for years leaving me without a house to sell.

Help !!

Help or advice appreciated
Can anyone help with this as this situation could happen to anyone

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What makes you think she wouldn't continue to insure the property? Or why she wouldn't make a claim for years? After all, she has just as much to lose as you do - more if it's the roof over her head.
    Seems to me you're overthinking it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is nothing stopping you taking out a basic standard buildings insurance to protect your interest. This happens all of the time, but you should contact a brokers to discuss, so they understand the situation. Try Home Protect or Towergate.

It is true to say that Insurance companies don't like dual insurance, but if the position as you describe is fully disclosed before taking up a policy, this can be noted. If there is then a claim event, there will be enquiries as to whether there is another policy covering the risk.

You are actually being prudent, rather than overthinking this in my opinion. Your partner might be daft in not insuring, but I have come across situations where an absent partner through divorce/separation has suffered a loss in a situation like yours. Their partner left in the home has through financial or other issues stopped Insuring, a loss event has happened and there is then a mess to sort out.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly she has no right to remove you. You still have financial interest and every right to be on the policy. Speak to your insurer and complain if you have to. She should not be allowed to remove you without your say so under these circumstances.
    You cannot dual insurer so you there is no point taking out your own policy it's a complete waste of money.
    Clearly she would make a claim for a total loss however as it stands she would receive the cheque in full. Meanwhile your having to go through messy legal proceedings to get your share.
    Ring the insurer asap!
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2018 at 10:23AM
    Options
    Reardoa wrote: »
    Firstly she has no right to remove you. You still have financial interest and every right to be on the policy. Speak to your insurer and complain if you have to. She should not be allowed to remove you without your say so under these circumstances.
    You cannot dual insurer so you there is no point taking out your own policy it's a complete waste of money.
    Clearly she would make a claim for a total loss however as it stands she would receive the cheque in full. Meanwhile your having to go through messy legal proceedings to get your share.
    Ring the insurer asap!

Ignore this advice.

1) You have no 'right' to be on her policy. You do have an option to arrange your own insurance for your own interests.
    2) You don't have an insurer to complain to, assuming that she has taken out a new policy in her sole name. She doesn't need your permission to do this.
    3) You can duel insure. You can't claim the full value twice though (i.e. if there is a claim, any settlements would ordinarily be divvied up between any valid claimants).

Get the house sold, get a policy in your name (doesn't have to be with the same insurer), or trust your ex about maintaining the insurance.

Edit: It's not duel insurance anyhoo. You'd be insuring for your own insurable interest, in the same way that your ex is insuring for their own insurable interest.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Reardoa wrote: »
    Ring the insurer asap!

This is poor advice.

The wife didn't "remove" the OP! The policy ended!

The OP has no status with the insurer so any complaint is futile!

Of course he can take out his own insurance!
  • Reardoa
    Options
    No it isn't. It's my opinion. Anyone can choose to take it or not.

The OP suggests the policy was just renewed and him removed. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Which she shouldn't able to do without his permission.

In fairness I should say don't dual insurer. It's a nightmare to resolve if co-insurance clauses are on both policies.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes anyone can post an opinion - but you should make it clear that it's just an opinion - this isn't a discussion thread - the OP came for sound advice!

And you forcefully told the OP his solicitor had misinformed him!

(And others may come here for advice in the future!)
  • Reardoa
    Options
    Last time I post. Ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business