Competition advice

Options
Back in November I entered a competition via a companies face book page to win some PC hardware. You had to like certain pages of sponsors, tweet, watch and comment on a YouTube video.

I was successful and won. I was not informed at all that I had won. They way I found out was via a comment to my comment on The YouTube video that they have been trying to contact me and had emailed me but because I had not responded they had withdrawn and offered it to someone else. There terms and conditions are that the successful winner will be informed. I rang them straight away when I saw the comment they stated that they’ve been trying to contact me. I had no email from them, no phone contact, no pm via there social media page or twitter. They acknowledge that I won and claim to be looking into it.

Sorry if it seems long winded but what advice and is there any sort of ombudsman to deal with. The hardware was worth £750 they are a reputable hardware company.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did they try to contact you? What contact information did you provide when you entered the competition?
  • JohnPops
    Options
    I entered via facebook. But it included me logging into twitter also and my youtube account.

This is the comment they left on my comment which i made on youtube
    Quote:
    Hi John, we have been trying to contact you. You are the winner of this competition. We need you to reply to the email that we have sent you to claim your prize. if you dont we will be forced to offer it to a new winner. You have 7 days from today 05/12/2017 to get in touch. Please don't miss out.

I never received a email. The above message was filtered into my Gmail as most peoples Youtube notification emails social account the competition ended 12th November 2017
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could contact the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority).

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Read the information on their website, you can make a complaint online. They are very good dealing with these sort of problems, and they could advise you whether there is a case to answer.

Good luck!
  • munchpot
    munchpot Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JohnPops wrote: »
    I entered via facebook. But it included me logging into twitter also and my youtube account.

Quote:
    Hi John, we have been trying to contact you. You are the winner of this competition. We need you to reply to the email that we have sent you to claim your prize. if you dont we will be forced to offer it to a new winner. You have 7 days from today 05/12/2017 to get in touch. Please don't miss out.

I never received a email. The above message was filtered into my Gmail as most peoples Youtube notification emails social account the competition ended 12th November 2017

Have you got a copy of the terms and conditions for the comp when you entered. This will say how winners will be contacted and how long you have to reply

You can complain to the ASA but they have no real teeth. Even if they do find that the comp was not run in accordance with the correct terms, they have no power to direct the company to give you the prize
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    JohnPops wrote: »

Quote:

Does this mean they did email you but at an address you don't check? If so I don't see how you have a valid complaint.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure