We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Zeer pots (pot-to-pot fridges)

Options
Does anyone in the UK have any experiences of these in our climate?

http://www.goselfsufficient.co.uk/potinpot-refrigerator-zeer.html

I anticipate being in a situation where I'm going to be without a fridge freezer for about six to eight weeks, and putting food outside to take advantage of the cooler temperature is unfortunately not a realistic option.

As I'm currently living alone and can easily walk to both a market and a supermarket, while not having them will be inconvenient, I feel that I can work around the problem. I can go without a freezer altogether (most of what I put in the freezer is unhealthy food that I should cut down on anyway). Therefore basically I just need something fridge-temperature to store portions of meat and veg that I can't use in one go, for use within a few days, plus cheese (and if space allows, milk and beer) so a zeer pot looks like a realistic solution. But would it actually work in a cooler climate, given that it relies on evaporation? Would sticking one in the warmest part of the house do the trick?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The article you link to suggests this was some kind of new idea in the 90s,but that's cobblers. The principle of using evaporation from a wet layer around a container has been around for a long time. Africans aren't so daft that they'd have waited thousands of years to invent it!

As a student in the 1970s, I had the joy of using an Osocool, which worked on the same principle. It did work to a certain extent, but it wasn't like a real fridge and I didn't keep stuff in there long. I suspect these work best in hot conditions, when reliably topped-up, not when left to the tender care of a dozen students, more interested in home brewing....

Picture and more details here:

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=106942

I can only say 'try it and see.' It won't work out of doors at this time of year, so the warmest part of the house seems right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure