Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,591Posts
    • 41,417Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 1
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 24,506 Thanks
    Mirů
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    Ooooh we have a new home.....waves to everyone and plumps cushions.....
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 29,411 Thanks
    tessie bear
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    a new thread hello xxx

i am housebound today but might have a look tomorrow and will enjoy sharing on the new thread xx
    on the brink...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 7,822 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    Found you!
    In a local children's charity shop, I spotted a pair of canvas trainers, with a Simpsons print, that fitted.
    Which turned out to be Converse All Stars.

Research shows them to be Converse Simpsons Chuck Taylor All Star Collection, coo! £2 for converse that sell at £40+?!

Son growled in anguish "you couldn't find Peppa Pig?" - well, no but now I'll start *looking*....
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 25,725 Posts
    • 54,590 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 4th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    Ooooh we have a new home.....waves to everyone and plumps cushions.....
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Drinks tea and waits for everyone to share the love.

I have been theoretically banned by my family from charity shops. Which didn't stop me from popping into a new one today to donate items. And buy an oversize mug and a crystal corkscrew for 50p each. And another 3 books
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    Hello all,

I can't help chuckling VfM4meplse, I have trouble restraining myself from book buying, but just donated a load which I can honestly say I won't read again.

And then, saw a cookery book that sounded interesting and bought it! WWII recipes which look both cheap to make, and healthy. As I need to lose a bit of weight, I felt 'justified' buying it. : )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 4th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    ooo a shiny new start to the thread think of all those bargains we all had to fill that one up so quickly.....when you actually think about it i wonder how much money we all saved collectively?!!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,670 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    Ooo, this is nice and comfy (plumps self down on sofa, cushions scream in protest). A new thread, great.

I went to a chazzer after work with a donation bag (books) and happened to see two A4 hardcover A-Z books at 50p each and also got two packets of elastic for 20p. Bargains!

I mean, have you seen how much hardcover notebooks with the A-Z tabs cost these days? Thick end of a tenner, so I was pleased. The elastic will go into the waistband of a pair of chazzer jammies, which is getting a bit slack-alice.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 4th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 16,457 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    Nice shiny new home, just needs filling with tat bargains!

Good and bad in Ormskirk today. Good was a pale blue Kipling shoulder bag with hand straps too, for £5.99. It had a bit of make-up marks inside the inner pocket but a quick soapy scrub sorted that out.

Also a lovely deep zipped shopper for £1.99, and lots of other odds 'n ends. Including (here's the bad)... a pretty necklace with a jade stone for 99p. I bought it for my sister to go with a dress she bought yesterday for a friend's daughter's wedding. However... having photographed it (using the side of a butcher's white chiller cabinet for background!) and WhatsApp'd it to her, she replied eventually that she is taking the dress back, and to add insult to injury I've gone and lost the necklace! That's the trouble when they don't give you a little paper bag now, I chucked it in my handbag and must have pulled it out with my phone or purse I suppose, anyway it's gone, and all I have left is the photo, which I think I will delete as it will annoy me!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 4th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Electric ice cream maker (but not the sort you have to freeze the bowl first) Brand new still in box £5.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 7,822 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    What, the small freezer with a paddle? <Must.Not.Covet> or a thing to clobber the frozen stuff as you go?
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Jan 18, 12:33 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Have re read instructions and you do have to put the bowls in the freezer first so not such a brilliant bargain as I thought. Then put the ingredients in and switch on paddles. Oh well win some lose some.
    Last edited by Sayschezza; 05-01-2018 at 12:48 AM.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    dolly84
    Thanks for the new thread Floss.

After my little trawl around (in the rain) yesterday I only spent 20p on a DVD, it was Flatliners which I love and wanted to watch with the kids but it isn't on Netflix.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Am I shopped up?

13 charity shops yesterday and not one thing bought.

I did see a lovely M&S 'Best of British Designers' dress that made my heart pound (a little) but it was a size 8 on the wrong hanger.

Did get some bargain leggings in proper M&S though - including a pair reduced from £17.50.
    I bought these for £7.50 last Thursday and found the identical pair for £5.50 yesterday so the £7.50 ones will be returned.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,894 Thanks
    silvasava
    Thanks for the new thread Floss - kettles on and biccy tin is full so pull up a chair!
    I'm sure there are going to be plenty of bargains this year. Many people are realising they have too much 'stuff' so it's up to us to keep a sharp eye to give them a proper home.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 5th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Potternerd
    New year, new thread!

I took 3 bags full to the CS in preparation for a restock and came away with a Seasalt dress for £5, Mint Velvet leggings for. £4 and a white River Island smart shirt for £2 for DS who has an interview.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 25,725 Posts
    • 54,590 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Have re read instructions and you do have to put the bowls in the freezer first so not such a brilliant bargain as I thought. Then put the ingredients in and switch on paddles. Oh well win some lose some.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Losing isn't an option, you get to eat ice-cream!!

Mine's a real vanilla with crushed coffee beans and hazelnuts, if you're asking. Slug of Baileys on top optional
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Treacle Toes
    • By Treacle Toes 5th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    Treacle Toes
    I've done quite well recently.

On 23rd Dec I took a load of bags to the Banardo's donation centre. Whilst there I spotted an old fashioned tea trolley for £2.99 - I'd been looking at the on eBay as I wanted to create a drinks trolley for Christmas. On eBay they were going for £50! I gave it a scrub and by Christmas Eve I had a kitsch drinks display.

At the same time I managed to leave a chair that I bought for £3 by the till, and my daughter bought a load of Christmas tat they were selling for 50p each!

Last weekend at Farleigh Hospice shop in Heybridge I bought a Boden breton long sleeve T-Shirt for £2 and a pair of Karen Millen trousers for £2 - the trousers are a bit snug at the moment, but should be suitable for work in a few weeks.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've done quite well recently.

On 23rd Dec I took a load of bags to the Banardo's donation centre. Whilst there I spotted an old fashioned tea trolley for £2.99 - I'd been looking at the on eBay as I wanted to create a drinks trolley for Christmas. On eBay they were going for £50! I gave it a scrub and by Christmas Eve I had a kitsch drinks display.

At the same time I managed to leave a chair that I bought for £3 by the till, and my daughter bought a load of Christmas tat they were selling for 50p each!

Last weekend at Farleigh Hospice shop in Heybridge I bought a Boden breton long sleeve T-Shirt for £2 and a pair of Karen Millen trousers for £2 - the trousers are a bit snug at the moment, but should be suitable for work in a few weeks.
    Originally posted by Treacle Toes
    A bargain like that is worth forgoing a few biscuits for.
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 5th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    waves to everyone and plumps cushions.....
    Originally posted by Mir!
    ... bought from the charity shop, I hope
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin