Replace or repair?

Evenin' all

My Ford Focus Econetic (2010, 85000 miles) broke down before Xmas. After much toing and froing Ok finally have a quote for repair of £1500 :eek:

The car (when working) is valued at £1500 for part ex.

I suspect the clutch is on the way out too and have been advised this will cost another £700.

Not sure what to do! Should I get a new one? Or get the repair done and keep going?

I would be looking to get a newish Polo or the like probably.
Debt paid off: £19,999 Debt remaining: NONE!!:money::eek::):j:j:j:j:j:j

Comments

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    What exactly is wrong with it apart from the clutch about to go AWOL.
  • It needs a new turbo, the DPF cleaning, new fuel pipe, etc etc...
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was it a Friday evening build? That's a young car to be considering uneconomical to repair. Has it been serviced regularly? You also need to look at your mileage and see if diesel is right for your useage
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much will it cost you to replace it with an equivalent? Will that equivalent need work, too?

I'd err on the side of caution and repair it if you like the car and it's otherwise good. If it's been unreliable up until now and a bit crap, then I'd be inclined to scrap it any try something else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Well you could get a newish Polo but the first year's depreciation will cost more than your repairs and it'll cost you the thick end of £1000 in lost money if you sell it broken.

Turbos are not dear, a couple of hundred quid for a guaranteed reconditioned one plus an hours labour. Clutch quote sounds about right.

If the DPF filter is clogged at that mileage though it suggests fairly short journeys so may I suggest you buy a petrol car next time? Just out of interest why are they saying the filter is blocked? I ask because there's a common fault on Fords where the rubber pipes that go from two small metal pipes from the DPF filter to the DPF pressure sensors go hard and split over time and it throws up the same fault code as a blocked DPF filter. Had that on my Mondeo a few months ago. Cost of replacing the hose was so little the garage didn't charge me for it and just charged me 30 minutes labour.
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    Was it a Friday evening build? That's a young car to be considering uneconomical to repair. Has it been serviced regularly? You also need to look at your mileage and see if diesel is right for your useage
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Well you could get a newish Polo but the first year's depreciation will cost more than your repairs and it'll cost you the thick end of £1000 in lost money if you sell it broken.

Turbos are not dear, a couple of hundred quid for a guaranteed reconditioned one plus an hours labour. Clutch quote sounds about right.

If the DPF filter is clogged at that mileage though it suggests fairly short journeys so may I suggest you buy a petrol car next time? Just out of interest why are they saying the filter is blocked? I ask because there's a common fault on Fords where the rubber pipes that go from two small metal pipes from the DPF filter to the DPF pressure sensors go hard and split over time and it throws up the same fault code as a blocked DPF filter. Had that on my Mondeo a few months ago. Cost of replacing the hose was so little the garage didn't charge me for it and just charged me 30 minutes labour.

Hi Tarambor,

The filter was genuinely blocked I think. There was oil in places it shouldn't be! I will definitely go for petrol next time! The car was initially bought to commute with but then I moved much nearer work. I had no idea about the low mileage thing before this though.

I am now thinking I will keep for the time being. It has been pretty good really before this.

Mercdriver, unfortunately not serviced regularly, just for MOT or when something goes wrong - I was getting out of debt and couldn't afford it.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2018 at 8:39AM
    I'd consider putting a recon turbo on it. Gutting and mapping the dpf. The 1.6 can be picked up for a ton. Dpf may have to be taken elsewhere to be done. But all in all you should be looking well below a thousand quid. In fact looking at a few hundred short of a thousand quid.

As for the clutch. I wouldn't be surprised if that price could be dragged down to about 500 at a local independent. They are not difficult, just a bit time consuming as subframes comes down. But like the Mondeo prices can be wild, 500-1200 depending on who you ask. Of course it then gets more expensive if you need a new flywheel as well at 300-500
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is the car fitted with the 1.6 PSA engine? The one where the turbo repeatedly fails because of carbon build up in the engine that you can never get rid of?

If it is, get rid with all the other work it needs.

Ford were supposed to have "cured" the repeated turbo failure problem in 2010 with modified oilways in the engine, a 2010 car may or may not have the modified engine.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Urgh I hope not, façade. It's being repaired now anyway...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport