Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,872Posts
    • 20,324Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £570.94 (75.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £406.58 (49% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 9/60
    Emergency fund - £77.04/£1000. Car fund - £240/£1000.
    Mini Targets in September
    Exercise target - 2/16. Groceries target £74.23/£200. NSD target 6/20.
Page 20
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    Make do using veg from the garden. Reusing a box in the greenhouse to store fertilizer etc in.

Mend i have repaired the hem on a skirt and a ripped seam on a shirt of DS2

Minimize boxes amongst other things.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 62,445 Thanks
    silvasava
    Make do - DH is spray painting some of my fitted cabinets in our breakfast area - they are 25 years old but good quality and only need a bit of TLC to update them. He's also taken the front off the gas fire to spray paint the cream metal to silver grey (special heatproof paint) to smarten it up.
    Honey chicken & chorizo potatoes from the freezer for tonight. Odd combination but need using lol!
    Mend - not really a mend but DH thought the seat sensor in his new to him car was broken as the seat is supposed to return to the correct driving position when you get in and it didn't - I had a brainwave & said have you programmed it in - no - doh! All done now and working fine so saved some pennies.
    Minimise - lots of glass & china that we no longer use from the cupboards as I was cleaning them out while the doors were off!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • dND
    • By dND 7th Sep 18, 12:37 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 6,795 Thanks
    dND
    Still here as no takers for the farm but I am making a change for this winter. I've decided to return to the UK for 4 months to try and pick up some work and a bit of needed cash.

This in turn has precipitated a massive clearing of the house as I will have to have housesitters in to look after the animals (which is good as I'll not be leaving the house empty for a long period).

Make do:
    Eating through my meat stocks as the sitters I have are vegetarian and I need to generate freezer space for them.

Mend: Everything that I can as I still don't want to buy anything new in France if I can help it. Plus, I have needed to swap my study and bedroom over as my sitters are a couple and will need a bigger bedroom. So the walls of the new bedroom painted and wooden floor re-stained.

Minimise: Moving around the 2 rooms meant emptying everything. wardrobes, chest of draws, filing cabinet etc. I've resisted just putting stuff straight back in. Every file in the filing cabinet has been gone through and all old and unneeded paperwork recycled or burnt depending on what information was contained. All clothing gone through again with a far more critical eye as I will have to make enough space in the wardrobes for the sitters to live here for 4 months. The result was another dozen small bags into the clothes recycling.

I'm working on trying to turn the disappointment of not selling, (in fact no interest at all this year) into a positive with preparing for moving back to the UK.

The upcoming (hopefully) job, gives me something to aim at and as a bonus should provide some funds and start me having a presence back in the UK, ready for my eventual return.

Weird - I've been trying to post since this morning but for some reason I got the 'you are blocked' message. I've just found that I'm not blocked on other threads, so closed this thread and re-opened it and it's worked. Very definitely confused here

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Sep 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    dND, well done on putting the disappointment behind you
    You have taken seriously positive steps towards the ‘2019’ sale of your French home Rearranging rooms to suit a family presence & decluttering at the same time will mean that ‘when’ you return to the U.K. for good you will have far less stress

I am keeping everything crossed that you have a quick success in finding a job but please do not exhaust yourself by working long hours & remember that we are all here to give at least ‘virtual’ support if you need/want it

Positive vibes are winging their way to you as I type

MrsSD
    • dND
    • By dND 8th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 6,795 Thanks
    dND
    Thanks MrsSD. It's giving me the proverbial kick up the derriere that I need

Having been out of the job market for a long time, updating my CV is a bit of a chore and as for being 'interviewed' by computer selection!!! Still, it's a bit positive on that front, but getting to have a face-to-face interview date sorted for when I'm visiting the UK in a couple of weeks....well that's another matter

And thank you all, as my MSE threads are my sanity
    Deborah x

• WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 9th Sep 18, 9:19 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 5,608 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Make do: I have kitchen taps, the sort that have stubby lever handles, which are on the bucket list to be replaced. The cold tap is on the left and turns on when the lever is turned to the left. The hot tap is on the right and turns on when turned to the right. It is shoogly and can turn itself back on. The make do fix is I've stretched a large thick elastic band between the two taps which pulls the levers together into their off positions, good knowing the hot tap is definitely off.

Mend: I resurrected my printer which has been in a cupboard for a very long time. So far, so good, the scanner was the function I needed, it needs a new black cartridge so that's Episode 2, for another day, after I've bought and fitted a new cartridge.

Minimise: a couple of cushions to the charity shop; an empty jar and lid to a friend; two nested suitcases to a secure communal cupboard I didn't know about in my block of retirement flats. Great to have the space freed up by this.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Sep 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: los from last night’s hm meat loaf & hm potato salad for dinner

Mend: Pair of knicks, pair of underpants & a pair of socks

Minimise: baking ingredients - made Lincolnshire Plum Bread & cheese savouries
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Had quite a good make do and mend weekend -

Make do: I sowed some seeds and used the salad tray from the old freezer and and large plastic food saver tub (with a lost lid) as cloches - doubly pleased as i was loathe to throw the food saver away but couldn't think what I could use it for and didn't want it to be clutter/hoarding

Was thinking I needed a new throw for the sofa now it's getting cold, and remembered my yoga blanket in the cupboard - perfect

Mend: Sewed up another plastic reusable shopping bag and 2 Mantaray tops which I love but which both had holes/split seams. Not smart enough for work anymore but definitely still lots of use in them
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £29.63/£30
    Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Sep 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 19,219 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Mended: 1 woollen jumper, 2 leggings, 1 T-shirt, 1hi-viz vest, 1 cardi, 1 sleeping bag.

Make do: leftovers for dinner and lunchboxes.

Minimise: every time I walk past dds play corner in the living room, I throw something away. Usually a mcd toy or half finished drawing.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 739.99 = £ 656.90
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Sep 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: DH ordered Chinese for dinner

Mend: A set of 3 circular boxes made to look like a snowman with hat, mittens etc - reattached the mittens

Minimise: cleared the tops of the wardrobes & have several pictures, photo frames & a couple of hold-alls set aside for CS + broken wheelie case & suitcase inserts for the Tip.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Sep 18, 6:27 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Make do: Finishing off the uncompleted home-made fleece jacket I abandoned years ago, so I don't have to buy a new one
    Mend : The pile never gets any smaller, but I will glue the ribbon back on an enameled papier-mache mask so it can be put back on display - will have to think about how tp attach it more securely, but it will do for now.
    Minimise: Firstly, 4 lots of fruit from the freezer (and one jar of bottled damsons) either used or awaiting use for jam, also dinner from freezer or stores. Secondly (after OH got attacked by items falling from a shelf in the spare room), said shelf got ruthlessly tidied with paperwork, pictures and cd's put away properly, binned or put to go to CS. Hello, nice clear shelf with some space on it!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 62,445 Thanks
    silvasava
    Make do - food from freezer
    Mend - loads!! - Hubby's dressing gown collar re- stitched, my trousers altered, t shirt shortened and neckline changed. Large beachwrap cut into two to provide DH with scarves when he's on his bike.
    Minimise - food and my beachwrap!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,375Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin