Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 31st Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 3,326Posts
    • 12,425Thanks
    Emzilla
    Fresh Starts and New Chances...
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    Fresh Starts and New Chances... 31st Dec 17 at 9:22 PM
    Hi everyone and Happy New Year

I'm an oldie and regular on this board, but seem to start new diaries all the time and then just tail off and stop posting. Naughty me, this must stop.

I had a lovely Christmas and one of the gifts I received was a diary (the kind you use to organise your life, not the kind you reveal your deepest thoughts in) and on the front it says "Fresh Starts and New Chances". When I read that, I knew that had to be the title of my next diary on here.

I'm not going to go on about my past or anything about me just yet. Regulars on here will know me pretty well (you know who you are ) and I'm sure any newbies will get to know me as time goes by.

I want this to be a positive diary. I'm going to post on here every day (I'm really going to try - promise!!) and let you know what positive things have happened, any obstacles I need to overcome and a to-do list for the following day.

2018 is the year I'm going to get organised!! No more procrastination and no more excuses!!

Have a good evening everyone!! I'm just sat in with my mum (who would be on her own otherwise), but at least I'm not out wasting money.

See you all tomorrow.

Emz xx
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,017 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    Fresh starts & new chances sound pretty damm good to me
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 31st Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    I am sat in with my Mum too Ems XX Love you Bundles, Happy New year AND
    See you tomorrow

Love Buffy XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 31st Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    Fresh starts & new chances sound pretty damm good to me
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hey Lou - Happy New Year xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 31st Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    I am sat in with my Mum too Ems XX Love you Bundles, Happy New year AND
    See you tomorrow

Love Buffy XXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Aw, thanks Buffy - hope you're both having a good evening.

Love Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    Hi everyone

If you read a post on here from me earlier today, you weren't seeing things. It was a post born out of tiredness and laziness, so I deleted it!! Enough said .

Feeling really tired today. Think it's a lack of sleep in my own bed. I've been at my mum's for 3 days in the past week and then a hotel one night. I struggle to sleep in strange beds, so I'm looking forward to an early night tonight.

I'll be back tomorrow morning with a plan of action for January and beyond!!

Emz xx
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 1st Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    Hello Ems XXX

I didn't read anything, and am also tired, I kept staying up late, does me no good.

I too will be back tomorrow with a plan XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 26,623 Thanks
    jwil
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    Happy new diary xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Plain Jane
    • By Plain Jane 1st Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Plain Jane
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    Hi Emz

I!!!8217;ve subscribed happy New Year and new diary!
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 1st Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    New Years resolution to stop starting new diaries lol!!!!
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    New Years resolution to stop starting new diaries lol!!!!
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    Deal!!
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Happy new diary xx
    Originally posted by jwil
    Happy New Year!!

xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Hi Emz

Iíve subscribed happy New Year and new diary!
    Originally posted by Plain Jane
    Hi

Thanks for subscribing and Happy New Year!!

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 2nd Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Morning

Feeling a bit more with it today, although I could have done with a bit of extra sleep. OH has gone back to work, so I had to get up early to drop him off at the station.

I've been having a think of the things I'd like to achieve this year.

1. Pay back my former friend. For all of the saga with this, see my previous diary. I owe her £1,200 and I would like it paid back within the next 3 months, so I don't have to be in touch with her ever again.

2. I've got a couple of debts in my mum's name, both credit cards. They've been hanging around for ages, and I've been paying something to them each month, but I would like them gone. I know this would please my mum too. One of them stands at just under £1,750 and the other is around £700-£800, but I can't remember the exact balance. So around £2,500 in total.

3. I want to start eating properly. By this I mean cutting out the takeaways and meals out. We go far too often and I know that if we had food in the house, we'd be less tempted. I want to start doing a proper regular shop and meal plan. I wouldn't mind learning to cook a bit more. I could cook stuff up in the mornings before work and then freeze some portions for my busier days.

4. Get the house looking more presentable. It's always a mess and I'm fed up with it. I want to declutter and keep the place clean and tidy. It feels so much nicer when it's tidy and I won't have to feel embarrassed if people pop over.

5. Pay for any presents with vouchers/money from surveys. I've joined a challenge on here for this. It would be nice to get these presents early and not have to dip into my wages to buy them. This also means more money for clearing the debts. Planning is the key with this one. Knowing when the dates are, what I'm getting and saving up early.

6. Watch a movie a day!! Bit of a fun one for me here. I love movies and like the idea of seeing a new movie every day. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up for. 365 movies in a year? Might be doable. I'd keep a list of them all. Might not be able to watch one every day, but could catch up the next day. It's easy to do surveys or my nebuliser whilst watching them too.

I think those are my main aims. I don't think there's anything there that's too taxing. Being organised has to be the answer for this year. I'm terrible at leaving everything until the last minute.

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,017 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wishing you well with your goals Emz

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 3rd Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Thanks Lou

It's my day off today, but I've been looking after my niece and nephew since 8.30 so that my sister can go to work.

It was a good day on Jackpot Joy as I won £20 on the free game and have still got £5 credit on there (you have to play through £2 a week to be eligible for the free game, so I try and keep some money in there so I don't have to deposit any). I'll put that aside to go towards the debt to my ex-friend.

I need to watch a movie today, but don't know if I'll get the chance. Might have to watch two tomorrow before work. I watched The Zookeepers Wife (quite good) and Rules Don't Apply (bit boring) yesterday.

Swagbucks target needs doing too. I'm determined to get the full bonus this month. I'll be able to get a £5 voucher today. Not sure whether to go for Amazon or M&S. I've got Valentine's Day to pay for, but might just get him some snacks and a drink he likes from Sainsbury's, so will do some surveys for Nectar points for that. Then it's my Grandma's birthday in March, but that's just £10 in a card (thinking Panelbase for that one) and then it's Mother's Day. So I might get M&S vouchers to buy some flowers.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 9th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Grrr, nearly a week of not posting. Not a good start to the new year . Not much money making done either. Must do better.

OH's mum's auntie has died (don't think they were at all close TBH and I reckon it has been years, if not decades, since she has seen her). Anyway, she wants to go to her funeral, so they are visiting for two nights. Problem is, OH is away and isn't coming back until tomorrow evening, so I've been lumbered. I only had 48 hours notice too. So I've been tidying and cleaning up the flat the past couple of days. Was hoping for a quiet evening to myself and free from work, but that won't happen now .

I went to the pub for a leaving do on Sunday evening. It was good fun and I spent less than a tenner. We did the pub quiz too. We got 43 out of 60 which wasn't bad. The 'winners' (or cheaters!) got 60 out of 60. Suspicious much?

I need a little challenge to myself to keep me motivated. I'm going to see how long it takes me to earn £1,000. This has to be cash or vouchers. I'm not going to include freebie values or money off coupons in this.

I'm going to have to resort to mystery shopping to achieve this. I'm going to start tomorrow with day 1 and we'll see on which day I reach £1,000. Will be interesting to see if a) I can keep at it and b) how long it actually takes to earn a grand. I'm not going to include overtime in that either. Just surveys, Textbroker, mystery shopping etc.

I'm going to make a list tonight of websites, apps etc that I can use to earn from. I'll only count it when I receive it.

Emz xx
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 26,623 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope the in law's visit wasn't too bad!

How are you getting on with raising that £1000?
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 31st Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Hi everyone

There is a reason for my lack of posts this time - I promise. I wasn't too well and had to have a bit of time off work, think I was just a bit run down with a cold that didn't actually fully come out. They kept giving me overtime, which I have now had to refuse.

Also my OH's dad wasn't well. He's got problems with his legs and had an infection that saw him get admitted to hospital. He's still not great, so my OH is pretty concerned, but he's out of hospital at least.

The ex-friend saga with the loan rumbles on. I paid her another £300 back today, which leaves £900. She replied to confirm receipt, but put in the email that she consulted her solicitor who said I was clearly lying as to why I wanted the money and said that she wishes she had never lent it to me and I didn't even send her a thank you card.

I replied saying I had said numerous times how grateful I was etc and that I had never lied. I said I was working hard to pay her back ASAP, which is all I can do. She then simply replied 'your problem, not mine'. I won't reply to her in future, if that's the kind of childish response I receive

So unbelievably fed up with her now and just want to see the back of her. So, £900 left, I'm going to start my £1,000 mission again tomorrow (didn't really start it last time though ). I want to be making another payment of £450 to her 4 weeks today (28th February) and then £450 4 weeks later (28th March). Although even sooner would be fantastic.

I promise I won't overdo it though. No overtime, just earning extra from the comfort of my sofa!!

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,017 Thanks
    beanielou
    How the bleeping heck would her solicitor know that you were lying.
    I just dont get it.
    Nor the whole change in attitude.

Anyway you take care of you.
    No OT as you say.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,220Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm worrying myself by starting to get ambitious for #England in this World Cup. No good can come of that.

• Hi folks, I'm taking an early Friday, to enjoy a long family weekend. And as always I'm signing off social media? https://t.co/xFwuIQv694

• RT @hmtreasury: *Announcement* Today's @UKFtweets stats show that Banking Protocol has: ???? Prevented £24.7 million of fraud ???? Resulted in?

• Follow Martin