PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems: New build quality issues of big builders

Options
bbc-blocks-dark.pngnews-light.svg

The new homes 'uninhabitable' after less than a year

Gas leaks, damp, holes in the floor and cracks in the walls - for some, their new homes have become "uninhabitable" less than a year after moving in.

"Slugs, worms, beetles, spiders - they have their own personal entrance and exit route into our house," Karen Stacey-Pope tells the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42396938
Big debate on quality issues on newbuild properties and the weakness of warranty on Victoria Derbyshire show today.
:exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd never buy a new build. I haven't been in one yet which has had anything like the quality of most older houses and this includes budget new builds all the way up to "prestige ones". Thrown together on a budget, I'll stick to my solid 30's semi.
  • JoJo1978
    Options
    We've just bought a 10 year old place just out of warranty. Previous owners moved in from new and never had to exercise a guarantee in that time. But this is a one off build on the site of land sold from neighbours garden. It's in a Victorian conservation area so sympathetic in style and materials to neighbouring houses.

We'd sworn off new builds too until we saw this. We've not been here long but can already see positives too versus the 1950s we moved from. Socket and cable points designed for modern living; retains heat brilliantly; layout suited to modern living; superb use of space.

That said, the previous owners also made significant spec improvements to all the bathrooms and the kitchen/breakfast/utility, plus both gardens, and entirely re-floored the downstairs with wood and stone tiling.

We're not planning to move again but if we did it would still only be to 'nearly new' and probably not on an estate.
  • Jsnb88
    Jsnb88 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn’t surprise me I have friends that have bought a £300,000 Home (very pricey for our area) and as a plumber I look in the bathrooms and the fittings they have used pronably amount to less then £300 it’s basically a budget bathroom that i would recommend to someone if they where skint but urgently needed a bathroom
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve bought two new builds (this one was two years old but never lived in) and have had no problems at all.

The first was a two bedroom flat in Lewisham - the second one a two bed house here on the Kent coast. I live by myself and don’t need anything huge. Both had/have designated parking spaces - invaluable in both locations

Both have gone up in value - the sale of the flat neatly paid off my mortgage - and have worked really well for me and my best friend. He bought the flat off me and the likely profit is very good indeed

This is all horses for courses and your own experience but, personally, I think it’s wrong to blindly write off all new builds as not good
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Typical lazy journalism by the BBC - it's certainly the case that quality on some sites is much lower than it used to be, but there are also many other sites that are much better than the older housing stock. You can't put all contractors in the same pigeon hole.

People need to be educated on how buildings work, and what the appropriate process for snagging and identifying faults is - there are so many threads on this forum alone that would have benefited from a professional inspection service prior to occupation.

I also think that there should be a minimum 7 days between practical completion of a property and occupation, so that detailed inspections and surveys can take place before the occupants move in. The developer should then be liable for any temporary accommodation costs until the property is fully completed - most problems I've seen are caused by developers rushing to get completion with unrealistic dates, and once the occupants are in the developer doesn't want to know.
  • matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    Typical lazy journalism by the BBC - it's certainly the case that quality on some sites is much lower than it used to be, but there are also many other sites that are much better than the older housing stock. You can't put all contractors in the same pigeon hole.

People need to be educated on how buildings work, and what the appropriate process for snagging and identifying faults is - there are so many threads on this forum alone that would have benefited from a professional inspection service prior to occupation.

I also think that there should be a minimum 7 days between practical completion of a property and occupation, so that detailed inspections and surveys can take place before the occupants move in. The developer should then be liable for any temporary accommodation costs until the property is fully completed - most problems I've seen are caused by developers rushing to get completion with unrealistic dates, and once the occupants are in the developer doesn't want to know.

Excellent post. Agree 100% especially the last paragraph concerning completion.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    On the Victoria Derbyshire show they suggested that new build owners keep 10% of the properties costs till they are happy all the issueshave been fixed. That wayit would force the builders to fix the problems promptly.

Do you think this is a good idea?
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • GrumpySO&SO
    Options
    Piffle. We have a new build and it's been great. The only problems we had were aesthetic.. bannister needed sanding, and a few knocks and bumps oh and the wrong kitchen being installed before we moved in but that was quickly fixed.

We had a 5 year guarantee so any issues that did crop up a bit later have been fixed. Such as a small leak caused by settling and they even filled in the cracks in plaster that happens in new build.

Trouble is you only really hear of horror stories.

Sound insulation really good. We could hold a rave and neighbours wouldn't know it. House is really warm and lots of storage which is a whole lot different compared to the older houses we have seen.

My mum's 1960's house has no sound insulation between walls and is freezing in the winter. Wall insulation retrospectively done caused mould.

My grandma's old 30s house bloody freezing too.

Rooms not a great deal bigger.

Would we go for a new build again? Not for the current prices but yeah otherwise we would.

My brother, a surveyor came around to look and said structure wise it was fine. A few nit picks and perfectionism mainly anesthetics that he as a builder (trained as before becoming a surveyor) said that in the past would have been picked up on.

So yeah... Long as you do your research of course be build are ok to live in just hugely overpriced even with help to buy and ask the other FTB "aids". I mean the ones around here are going for quite a bit more than other older homes at the moment.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

My brother, a surveyor came around to look and said structure wise it was fine. A few nit picks and perfectionism mainly anesthetics that he as a builder (trained as before becoming a surveyor) said that in the past would have been picked up on.

Nothing worth knocking yourself out over then? ;)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    On the Victoria Derbyshire show they suggested that new build owners keep 10% of the properties costs till they are happy all the issueshave been fixed. That wayit would force the builders to fix the problems promptly.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Well, the concept of a retention is everywhere in construction so in principle it seems like a decent idea. Percentage and retention period would need to be carefully considered along with a long stop date when the money could be released to the owner if works had not been completed.

The builders would have to be sure the money was set aside and held securely by a third party though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure