Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • muddyl
    • By muddyl 6th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 557Posts
    • 230Thanks
    Sole trader - how does it effect benefits?
    • #1
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    Sole trader - how does it effect benefits? 6th Dec 17 at 4:20 PM
    Hi all,

    Not sure if this is the right place but I'll try anyway.

    I currently work full time but on a relatively low income (basically minimum wage). I'm thinking of going self employed but rather than taking the jump in one go, I intend to continue working full time during the week and try to build my business at weekends.

    I have looked at how to register as a sole trader etc. but the one part I'm struggling to get information on is how this will affect my current benefits.

    At the moment we (my wife and I) receive council tax reduction, child tax and working tax credits.

    If I register as a sole trader I will be issued with a Unique Tax Reference. But how will that affect everything else? I've read that my normal tax code will be adjusted and the amount before tax reduced, effectively meaning I'd pay more tax on my full time job. Is that correct? And what sort of knock on effect will it all have with the tax credits?

    Just like most people here I aim to better myself and provide a better lifestyle for my children. My main concern is that starting up will have a negative effect on my current income & benefits meaning my family may suffer if this doesn't work out and potentially put a stop to the whole thing before it's even had a chance.

    Could anyone shed any light on any of this for me please or point me in the direction of where I may find the relevant information?

    Many thanks, Muddy
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 3,290 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    You!!!8217;ll complete a self assessment each year that will take into account all of your taxable income to determine how much tax you pay. It!!!8217;s your choice whether you want to pay the tax through your tax code or just pay it directly to self assessment.

    How much tax you pay is relevant for benefit purposes, it!!!8217;s our taxable income that they will want. You!!!8217;ll declare your P60 income as you already do. Any profit you make from your self employment will need to be declared to tax credits. You can deduct losses from any other household income you have. Roughly speaking your tax credits are reduced by 41p for every 1 earned.
    Last edited by Darksparkle; 06-12-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • muddyl
    • By muddyl 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • #3
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    That's helped to clarify the situation somewhat. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,315Posts Today

7,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin