PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy ISA

Hi , can anyone give me some advice on a Help to Buy ISA .

I went into Natwest today to ask about opening a help to buy isa putting the full first deposit amount on the same day .

I mentioned I was ready to buy if a property I liked came available but the mortgage advisor told me that it would not be worthwhile if i was looking to buy within the next 30 - 60days .

Is this correct ? even if it is a small amount was received it would be better than nothing .

thanks in advance

Comments

• homi
    homi Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    thanks for the link , I was going to put the lump sum down £1200 followed in the next 2 months by £200 so would take me to the 1600 = £400 ( bonus) ? .

Even if was to find in a couple of weeks it may take upto 3 months to complete .
    Is this correct?
  • Correct - and even longer depending on the chain. It's certainly worth doing now.
  • homi
    homi Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks , I tried to explain to the Natwest advisor but they thought for the sake of a " few hundred " pounds it would not be worthwhile .

Am I able to fund the ISA from my standard bank account as advisor said it would affect the my S&S ISA for the year .
  • Pfff every little helps.

No idea on the isa clash I'm afraid.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Not exactly on the point you're asking about but I do hope you'll be using an independent mortgage broker when the time comes and not one affiliated with a lender :)
  • Gawatate
    Gawatate Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2017 at 5:46PM
    There are two different types of Isa in existence at present, cash Isas (which Help to Buy Isas fall under) and “Stocks and Shares Isas”. You are allowed to pay into one of each kind in a single tax year. I opened my HTB Isa at the begining of my house purchase 4 months ago and i am still waiting to exchange and complete so it is worth opening one now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure