PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Menu...

Options
JButler
JButler Posts: 17 Forumite
First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 13 December 2017 at 10:55AM in Old style MoneySaving
Evening guys,

Im sitting trying to plan our Christmas menu. Im getting a little bored of the same starter and dessert. We usually have either chicken liver pate or ham hock terrine, then Christmas dinner with all of the trimmings (this year it will be capon, beef and venison) and for dessert is either pavlova or xmas pud.

Whats everyone else having?

Im just looking for some different ideas. There will be 18 of us this year, 16 adults, 1 teenager and a toddler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!

Comments

• We’re having Tomato Soup. Then Sausages and creamy mashed potato. Leeks and carrot swede mix with onion gravy. Then homemade Xmas pudding.

You can stuff the turkey this year!
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do either scallops in prosciutto ham & butternut squash or for the less adventurous prawn cocktail.

Beef for the main as I don't lke turkey and i'm cooking it so they all have it :). hubby gets his turkey fix at the works dinner do.

Dessert, DD and me don't like xmas pud so trifle it is, this can be made the day before and put in the fridge - and if hubby is nice to me then he gets a teeny tiny xmas pud all to himself.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have our main Christmas meal on Christmas Eve and it’s the only meal I make that follows ‘the rules’ ;).

This years offerings:

Brekkie - toasted muffins with soft scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, lemon and black pepper - crisp smoked streaky bacon for those who don’t like salmon

The main event - King prawn cocktail with HM Marie Rose sauce and HM bread to start - adult kids demand
    Turkey, Gammon, stuffing, roasties, Cauliflower Cheese, Parsnips, carrots, sprouts, yorkies - as above
    HM raspberry Pavlova for those that can fit it in. - SIL’s very favorite

If I had my way it would be

Garlic and chorizo prawns with HM bread
    Roast duck with dauphinois potatoes and steamed purple spouting broccoli
    HM chocolate Fondants with clotted cream
    Loads of Chablis... ;)

A Massive cheeseboard with pears, walnuts, celery and oats cakes to pick at through the evening
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    we go for 100 % trad;
    prawn cocktail on a bed of iceburg
    turkey pigs in blankets roast/mashed pots carrots peas sprouts gravy bread sauce stuffing balls
    christmas pud and clotted cream
    cheese board

love it but not very cutting edge
    onwards and upwards
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    think we'r going veggie this year
    when the children were little i used to let them pick their favourite dinner for christmas day, one year we had waffles with tinned beans and sausage lol
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We don't have a starter, never have. Dinner will be Turkey, pigs in blankets, roast potatos, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, peas, stuffing balls and gravy - all cooked by yours truly, who will have something veggie with potatos and veg. We don't have Christmas pudding as I am the only one who would eat it, instead it will be Apple pie, custard and cream, if anyone wants it, often we have it at teatime.

We rarely have room for pudding after Christmas dinner, my family would know what to do with most of their main meal if I presented them with a starter!

Tea is usually salad, cold turkey, potato salad and a lovely cheese board, with left over Apple pie, I am not doing trifle this year as no one touches it, if it is missed I will make it boxing day.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We always have 3 courses at Christmas - or, rather, we offer three courses.

we tend to cycle between prawn cocktail, mushroom tart, garlic mushrooms and fish goujons. my dad isn't a fan of pate, or we'd have that as well.

for main, we always have turkey and all the trimmings. this is non-negotiable.

for pudding, we usually have a choice of cheesecakes, trifle, vienetta, chocolate chateaux and whatever else. last year, we also had sticky toffee pudding. this year, we're having toffee and pecan roulade.

last year was the first I've not had pudding on Christmas day - and I enjoyed myself. I was comfortably full. I had mine on boxing day, after my 'Christmas dinner leftovers' baguette and pot of tea :D
  • JamesO
    JamesO Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    11223626-cantaloupe-melon-and-italian-_Parma-raw-ham-_Stock-_Photo.jpg

Goose-honking.jpg

Chocolate-cherry-cheesecake-_FINAL-_LGH-f798e838-576d-4bae-a417-0c.jpg

original_chocolate-cheese-board-for-after-dinner.jpg

DSC_00571.jpg

:beer::cool:
    Christmas Eve will be the traditional (for us) sausages and potato salad (or Bratkartoffeln)

Christmas Day it will be just Mum and me this year...and we are having venison, with red cabbage...no starter and probably no dessert.....sandwich, mince pies, cheese and biscuit, Stollen available as wanted in the evening.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The last few years there's just been the three of us and because we now eat dinner later in the day, I do a starter of king prawns and lobster on iceburg lettuce with a Marie Rose sauce and those little tiny dinner rolls from M+S. That's served around 2pm , instead of lunch

Dinner is traditional, Turkey, Ham and perhaps a Goose, with at least three stuffings and all the trimmings around 4pm

Neither MrS or myself are big on desserts, so a mince pie is as venturous as it gets. Usually make do with an after dinner mint. Mum tucks it to cake and sweets all evening

We wouldn't normally have a starter or dessert any other day so that's us really pushing the boat out :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure