PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers Solicitors have gone AWOL

Options
Hi,

We are currently selling our leasehold property. We have sold it to a company that has agreed to pay full market value. The sale was agreed some months ago. We have in the mean time found a freehold property we want to buy and our solicitor has completed the conveyancing on it. It is ready to exchange. As is we understand our sale. However our buyers solicitor has now basically disappeared. Doesn't respond to our solicitors emails for over a fortnight, not answering the phone to them. Our estate agent has got hold of someone in his office who has repeatedly promised to get a move on, but he doesn't seem to.

Really wanted to be moved by Xmas.

We have found we have this solicitors contact details from the memo of sale and also our buyers phone number and email. Should we try and chase them up ourselves or is it likely to make things worse?

This is becoming increasingly frustrating

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Each situation is likely to be different, but typically solicitors act on the instructions of their clients, and if the solicitors are not communicating with your solicitor then it is entirely possible that is because their client has told them not to for one reason or another.

I would suggest that your EA gets in touch with your buyer and tries to establish the current position.
  • Will2911
    Will2911 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We thought that too. But apparently not, our Estate Agent has spoken to the buyer and they want to get this sorted too. They have told their solicitors to get on with it, but he has not responded to them either. The only one who has had any luck contacting them is our estate agent who they have repeatedly told they will sort it out to but then promptly do nothing
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    Options
    Well, as it is your buyer who instructed them they must get onto them and get things moving. So tell the buyers to do this, it is not your place to chase them.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Law Society rules forbid them from talking to you, so trying to chase up yourselves is pointless. As has been said, the only party with any leverage here is your buyers themselves, i.e. the ones paying them. You (probably via your estate agent) need to apply some pressure to them so that they pass it on to their solicitor!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will2911 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are currently selling our leasehold property. We have sold it to a company that has agreed to pay full market value.

You don't think that perhaps they are stringing you along until you become desperate, and then they are going to reduce their offer drastically?

I've done quite a lot of sales and purchases, and my experience is that any last minute hold-up is always down to the buyer or seller (or the bank!), not the solicitor. That still doesn't stop the buyer or seller swearing it's the solicitor's fault, mind you.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only one who has had any luck contacting them is our estate agent who they have repeatedly told they will sort it out to but then promptly do nothing

Then request a timescale. Put a deadline in place.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can the buyer not use another solicitor?
  • Will2911
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    You don't think that perhaps they are stringing you along until you become desperate, and then they are going to reduce their offer drastically?

I've done quite a lot of sales and purchases, and my experience is that any last minute hold-up is always down to the buyer or seller (or the bank!), not the solicitor. That still doesn't stop the buyer or seller swearing it's the solicitor's fault, mind you.
    We don't think so. The firm who are buying ours also purchased another up the road and everything went through fine, no reduced offer or anything. From what we've heard this solicitor has a reputation in the industry for being painfully slow
  • Will2911
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Then request a timescale. Put a deadline in place.

We have told them it needs to be completed by the 15th December.

I hate to do it, but I think I may have to spend tommorow harassing people in order to get anywhere with this.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate to do it, but I think I may have to spend tommorow harassing people in order to get anywhere with this.

Only person you need worry about is the buyer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure